Samsung Home Connect will not connect to SmartThings App

Hi Tyler,

Just to clarify, if at some stage I jump on the Connect bandwagon, possibly with Mesh and I reluctantly remove all items from the ST Hub and add them back via Connect if I then login to ST and select the Connect account will I still have ALL the current functionality I have in SmartThings and be able to edit the DH’s/SmartApps etc. as I currently do or is there any limitations to doing this. The Connect app if pretty awful tbh and do not want to be stuck with using it although the dual functionality would not go amiss I guess.

Also how are the plans coming along to migrate ST over to Connect please? You mentioned a while back that this was being looked at and tbh the ability to migrate ST over to Connect should have been one of the first things that were thrown out there considering the user base.
At the moment there is no way I am going to kill my current ST setup to move things over to Connect but if things start to look up and there is no sign of a migration tool (or some sort of link between the two) then I may look to do so.

Thanks!

I am not positive but I do not think the Mesh WiFi would help you anyway. I could be wrong but my understanding is that the WiFi is ‘meshed’ you still only have ONE SmartThings Hub built into to main unit. It does not mesh zigbee and z-wave frequencies.

You’d be correct. The mesh’ing is for the WiFi only. There is no mesh network for Zigbee or Z-Wave with the ST Connect. Whether this appears as an update later on, we’ll have to wait and see!

Does anyone know if things have changed with the Connect Home set? I saw Amazon had the 3-pack on sale for <$250 and hadn’t considered the mesh stuff for expanding my network. Right now I have hardwired AP’s (not repeaters) and would prefer to move to a mesh system. When I read that this has a SmartThings hub built-in, I really liked the idea (as some of my devices seem to be on the fringe edge of range) but if only ONE of them can act as a hub - what’s the point?!

For that matter, will the ST hub portion of this system also work in combination with my existing ST hub? Seems I read an Amazon review that said you can now (?) pull the ST function into the ST app. Can they work together (i.e. can I put my existing hub elsewhere and have it connect other devices?)

This looks like it has tons of potential but I don’t want to throw $250 down the drain and pull a bunch of hair out to find out this wasn’t very well thought out.

Any thoughts or advice is highly appreciated!

1 Like

According to Tyler and Chris (csuk) who posted here back in August, there was supposed to be an update to the phone app to let you log into your Samsung account from the SmartThings app and it would then carry over all your commands and settings to the new Samsung Hub. There IS that option on the SmartThings logon webpage, but doesn’t really seem to be of any use at this point. The SmartThings App may have been updated for Android to be able to log in through the Samsung account but so far I have not seen that option on my iPhone, so I am still relegated to using the SmartThings V2 hub. I think I saw somewhere else here that there is Beta testing being done with a migration tool, but I don’t know any more than that. I will say that my 3 Samsung Connect mesh WiFi hubs have been working flawlessly as far as the WiFi goes however. I was having range issues at the far end of my house and in my detached shop, but with the meshed hubs my signal is great everywhere and switching from one hub to another when using my phone is seamless and unnoticeable.

1 Like

I have bought a new samsung connect hub ( not the pro ). Followed the instructions but i could not find the option to setup the smartthings as it shows in the instructions.

I restarted again but nope! nothing. Any idea? IT says, the hub has a smartthings in it.

Thanks

Hussein, in the hub itself there’s an option (within the Samsung Connect app) that allows you to turn on the SmartThings hub. From there you can add devices but seems like device support is very minimal compared to an actual ST Hub. I can see where I can add a ST hub to the Connect app and I can log into the API with my credentials for the Connect app (and see my Connect Home “hub” in it.) Problem I’m finding is the Smartapps aren’t really there either - so automations aren’t what they can be in SmartThings (vs. Connect Home.) Not sure if you can download other Smartapps that you currently use and put them into the IDE or not.

I haven’t yet found a way to incorporate the current SmartThing app for iPhone or any SmartApps into the Connect Hub. So far, as a hub, it seems pretty useless. Works great for WiFi though.

1 Like

I saw this in the installation video and instructions. However, I can not see this option in my setup. This drives me crazy. I searched every where and looks like everyone has this option except me.

Any idea? Thanks

I just heard from samsung support that the samsung connect hub smartthings part is locked to work in us Canada and UK. This is a joke as I never read this any where when buying it.

I start to question samsung ability to provide solutions world wide.

Any workaround?

I spoke to a support guy about a week ago about a separate issue but while I had him on the line I asked him about the compatibility between SmartThings and Connect Home - he said that while you could pull in a ST hub into the Connect Home, it would still be considered a separate location, and the devices would essentially be isolated from any other location’s devices. So, if I had a bulb in one location and a sensor in another, I couldn’t control the bulb with the sensor. Not sure if this is an architectural issue or if that’s just how it works - but seems like a huge oversight in designing the system. Almost as if they didn’t anticipate it being as popular or people having/using as many devices in such large homes. Considering the Connect Home stuff only has one of the hubs as a ST hub, I’m wondering if it’s an architectural issue they can’t even fix?

I agree, this does not seem to have been well thought out !!!

The latest update to the hub allow it to work as both repeater for zigbee and z-wave :wink:

Here is the details steps to claims hub in SmartThings App.

1. Logging out from SmartThings App
  2. Click “New to SmartThings”
  3. Login with your Samsung Account
  4. Done, the hub will appear in IDE as well
1 Like

Sorry, I’m confused - it allows the Connect Home hub to act as a repeater for both, or the SmartThings hub? If the Connect Home would act like a repeater it would be awesome - especially if all of them would act like repeaters.

Wifi mesh is given. The latest firmware update enable it to act as repeater for both zigbee and zwave

1 Like

Interesting, mine doesn’t appear to want to turn on as a ST hub anymore - is this functionality automatic? Is there somewhere I can find more information on this? Thanks!

I would suggest you contact the support

I moved the question I had here to a new topic. It’s not directly connected to this topic and more people will probably see/respond if it’s not buried 32 messages down a semi-related topic.

That worked great THANKS!
Will the connect hub have same features and options like the ST v2 hub?
I have noticed that the FW on the Connect hub is 17… not 20 like the ST hub