Samsung goes after Apple at home with new Connect Home hub

Probably they are copying Xiaomi by having one app for everything. It will be a lost for us ST users going this route due to the slower app update.

Ok. My understanding is it’s a mesh wifi router with SmartThings hub built in.

It’s not a new hub per say
We don’t know if it has battery back up
We don’t know if it has more memory - thinking CoRE pistons!
We don’t know if the mesh extends the zigbee / zwave signals

Just as an aside. Don’t all the higher end Samsung TVs have SmartThings built in too now?

Either way a big miss that ST don’t have a prepared statement about this.

2 Likes

I guess nobody bothered to let them know it’s being announced. :smiley:

6 Likes

They will have 2 flavors… note the processor and Wi-Fi

Availability
Apart from the 2x2 version of the Connect Home, Samsung will also have a Pro version that’s only available in a single unit for those living in a small home. The Connect Home Pro has the same physical size as a Connect Home unit but supports the top-tier Wi-Fi specs (4x4 MU-MIMO 802.11ac). It’s slated to be much faster though and has the same Wi-Fi coverage as a single unit of the Connect Home.

As of now, Samsung is tight-lipped about the availability and pricing of its new mesh systems. But it’s likely that they will be available by the second half of 2017.

This seems to be billed as the Samsung Connect Home, belittling it with Google clone with a SmartThings twist (as CNET sees it).

Ok, i’m confused as hell. I have V1 ST hub going on my 4th year, and i got the v2 hub during 1st release but never installed it because of the migration issues, and the stability. I was JUST about to upgrade to v2 hub because of some Zwave plus devices, should i wait, is this replacing, upgrading v2 hub etc?

Damn so confusing…

1 Like

Migration questions aside, this has my interest. I currently use an Apple Extreme ac which covers my 4200 sq ft home just fine but Apple have stated they are leaving the router market so I’m concerned about when it starts to go south what to replace it with.

Depending on the answers to the questions posted in here this may be good.

Very interesting given the current instructions to keep your ST hub away from your router.

Those specs above are weird though. Why a lesser-powered device/slower speeds for the mesh version. I love the ‘blutooth’ lol.

1 Like

I would like to know how long my SmartThings hubs will be good as well as if they will ever get the “promised” Bluetooth capabilities. This is an interesting direction, but I do worry about the tight integration of IoT controllers and direct Internet connectivity.

Why do we need Battery Back-up anyway ???

I never understood this. All the logic of Smartthings runs in the clouds…
If you have a power cut, your broadband is likely to be down as well, hence no connectivity to the hub.
Without a connection, the Hub is merely a sitting dead duck with a blue LED on the front !
I often lose broadband connections and can’t even turn my lights on / off without a connection… The hub2 was supposed to be able to run some code locally, this is not the case! so why the batteries back up?

ZigBee Z-Wave “extenders” would be awsome!
it would be great is the meshed devices extend the zigBee Z-Wave signal. I have an old house (fat stone walls) on free floors and I had to extend my network with wires (LAN of Powerline). It would be great if I could connect these meshed devices as a local “hub” child and relay to the hub master over powerline… this would be a key feature for me…

3 Likes

I see two issues:

1. Why in the heck would I bundle a wifi router and a smart hub? This is right up there with the combination tv/vcr.

2. If this new device continues to process schedules and automations in the cloud instead of locally, it’s an automatic no-go for me.

1 Like

I have a MAJOR worry about this combo item.
Zigbee and Mesh WiFi do not play happily with each other since they tend to run across each other’s bandwidths.
If you check the forums you’ll see lots of articles about motion sensors disconnecting etc. after the installation of mesh networks. The major fix, which I did and it seems to have resolved most of my issues was to move the hub 10’ from the nearest WiFi access point and add additional Zigbee plugs around my home to act as repeaters. If the Zigbee transmitter/receiver and the WiFi mesh router are in the same box they’ll be no way to separate them.
Maybe this means that ST is phasing out Zigbee but I somehow doubt that since, at least for now everything ST branded is still using Zigbee.

3 Likes

I dumped my Apple Extreme and Express router/extender as soon as this statement came out. Not just for the statement itself, but I was having some connectivity issues with it for whatever reason.

1 Like

I don’t have a need for a mesh system since I use open-mesh ap’s but I would use the “hub” portion of it

1 Like

This seems extremely unlikely since one of ST’s major selling points is its support for multiple home automation wireless protocols. Anything’s possible though I guess. I’m also curious to see how they plan to deal with wifi/zigbee interference issues if the router and hub are combined in one physical device.

Hmm with all the unlimited data plans being offered, the new hub/router might give you the option to tether to your S8 if the internet connection goes down lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to be a tester for ST on this stuff…

Unclear on what advantages this offers to a current v2 users…

Not interested in Samsung Wifi…

1 Like

Some people plug their router into a UPS to keep their internet connection up during a power outage (until the UPS battery dies at least).

Hub v2 can run smart lighting automations with some devices even when there’s no cloud connectivity. It’s far short of what they suggested it would do but it’s not non-existent.

3 Likes

It may actually be easier to avoid interference between the zigbee and the Wi-Fi in the combo unit IF the zigbee unit allows channel reassignment, because the device could force the Wi-Fi and zigbee channels to be set so that they provide the least likely interference with each other.

There are some other engineering tricks that can also be applied when there is synchronous control of both.

Also remember that only 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi interferes with zigbee. Again, a synchronized device might flip as much traffic as possible to 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi. Google WiFi, for example, already does this.

And of course the absolute worst issue with zigbee devices is Wi-Fi boosters. Wi-Fi mesh removes the need for WiFi boosters. If the Wi-Fi is at a fairly even level throughout the home, that in itself can help eliminate zigbee dead spots.

So I think it’s doable, but it does require a more sophisticated device than the current standalone hub. But in terms of keeping consumers from hurting themselves in setting up a network backbone, the combo unit actually provides some significant advantages over the current situation. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

This is very interesting.

I would guess Samsung’s intention isn’t to get current ST users to buy these , it is to get SmartThings into more homes. Same reason they are putting SmartThings in their TVs (and maybe someday making it operable). The more homes they can get SmartThings in to by piggybacking on other devices, the more people are likely to choose the SmartThings ecosystem since they already have the hardware. Same reasoning Apple includes Homekit with all of its products.

3 Likes

My hope is that the fancy new Samsung Connect app (initially available only on the galaxy 8) will demonstrate a true shift to consumer experience design and provide the following:

1. A fast, easy and intuitive way to group devices together for synchronized on/off

2. A fast, easy, and intuitive way to group lights together in a “dim with me” Group to coordinate dim settings, color temperature settings, and RGBW color settings.

3. A fast, easy, and intuitive way to create scenes where different lights have different dim settings, color temperature settings, and RGBW color settings.

4. A fast, easy, and intuitive way to create notifications when
    a) device status is checked at a specific time of day,
    b) within a specific time range, or
    c) has been maintained for a specific period of time.

So: the garage door is open at 11 pm; The garage door is opened between 11 PM and 6 AM; The garage door has been open for more than 10 minutes.

1. an “if this, then that” logic structure such as almost all of the competitors use, rather than the current logic flow where you have to pick the “that” before you specify the “if.”
4 Likes