Samsung developing entire new OS

Have not seen this mentioned on the forum yet.

‘’'Sooooo what does this mean ?

a completely new OS? Use with existing hub? New hub?

PC World link

1 Like

Please tell me it’s not Tizen. :scream:

Please tell me it’s not Tizen.
It’s not Tizen.

There I told you :slight_smile: Article states it may be though.

1 Like

Might be good or bad.

Heck… Google announced their IoT OS at conference last year (pared down Android of some sort, of course) and the world hasn’t exploded… Yet.

Maybe it’s for hub v3. No migration tool though so we will have unpair and repair all of our devices again. Then they will update it a dozen or so times and break everything 6 or 7 dozen times. We will all moan and complain on the forum ad infinitum. It will be the norm. Kinda like a new iPhone every year. LOL.

1 Like

No… Quite different: iPhones have migration tools. Seamless ones, in fact.

2 Likes

…and they work. You can’t change them, but they always work.

1 Like

Apple nailed it with iCloud backup and restore. It’s absolutely a great tool, although last time I lost data which was probably my fault for ending the restore too soon.

2 Likes

It simply means that Samsung has a severe case of NIHS (Not Invented Here Syndrome). As if there’s not enough open source RTOS’es available. :confounded:

1 Like

Smart things support told me not to bother upgrading to V2 when I asked. Said its not worth it with whats to come basically.

1 Like

OK… You can’t post that without an exact quote! You can keep your source anonymous.

“I’d recommend holding off on upgrading your hub for the time being as we’re continuing to improve the hardware”

That’s the most ridiculous reason I’ve ever heard. Hardware is always improving. I don’t recall Apple ever advising their customers not to upgrade their iPhones because they’re working on the next version. The real reason I suppose is that the current version is fundamentally broken and you’d better wait for the next one.

1 Like

Dunno. It’s telling to me. I have a v1 and two v2 in fact spread between my home, office, and cabin. But I read it when I received it as more is in the pipeline.

This article makes me wonder if they are related at all.

I really doubt it. V1 hardware was severely limited. Particularly, it was not powerful enough to do video streaming. That was the main feature that drove V2 to the market. Now, V2 has enough horse power to do everything that a HA hub is expected to do and even more. It even has more hardware than is currently supported by the software (Bluetooth Smart and USB). There’s no good reason to waste resources developing new hub, unless there’s some unknown design flaw in V2 that cannot be fixed in software.

1 Like

To be clear…I wonder if they aren’t getting sidelined by this new os. Not sure how they all fit together. Puzzling.

1 Like

And/or Artik.

The Artik 10 with ZigBee, Bluetooth, HDMI, etc., is some serious metal. Production was delayed, but… Heck is it even officially Beta now?

While there are plenty of industrial IoT uses for it, it still seems that if Samsung is serious about Artik, it would want that to be in the SmartThings family as an edge or fog node.

It is Tizen, after all and I believe it has nothing to do with SmartThings. :slight_smile:

Look at the session schedule:

Choosing a Tiny IoT Real-Time Operating System [IOT-73]
Samirkant Sahu, Senior Software Designer & Developer, Samsung
It is estimated that there will be 20 million IoT devices by 2020 and, like in the early days of mobile phones, there is a proliferation of proprietary, competing operating systems from all the major vendors. This fragmentation will challenge developers who are trying to get their apps into the marketplace. In this session, Samsung will announce our new, open-source IoT real-time operating system (RTOS), which has a wide scope of features while maintaining a lightweight and efficient footprint. Come join us to see how painless developing in the IoT world can be.

Topics: IoT, Tizen
Session Type: Lecture
Session Length: 45 min

1 Like

I read that as completely different. This to me is the OS used on devices itself particularly on the new SOC devices that samsung have in the pipeline.
But for sure we also know that the ST platform will converge with Samsung’s TV platform so we know the OS will be changing there. What we particularly need to look at more is if the cloud platform is changed for a new platform…that will signal the death knell of the existing hub platform

I’m sure they want it, but the question is do we want it? I have enough pain dealing with their beta-quality software. Last thing I want is mucking with their beta-quality hardware. :confused:

P.S. Here’s another clue. Tizen shall deliver us from all evil. :imp:

Envisioning Tizen’s Future: The OS of Everything [TIZ-33]
Smart devices have a growing impact on our everyday lives. From mobile devices to TVs and watches, we’re finding that they have become indispensable. However, one of the biggest drawbacks to the current technologies is that our experiences are still limited to a single device. In this session, you’ll explore a future when devices collaborate to provide a better user experience by emphasizing IoT and convergence. Join us to understand Tizen’s roadmap as the “OS of everything.”

Topics:Tizen
Session Type:Lecture
Session Length:45 min

1 Like