Ryobi modular smart garage door opener

I sent you a couple emails. I was finally able to figure out the Door ID and get it to open and close through the websocket site. Hopwfully this will help getting the newer model supported since that is what is sold now.

Also any ideas on how to get the modules added controled through smartthings?

After going back and forth with @Cbarth3, we were able to iron out a lot of the issues. We still have to find the light status value and test the light functionality but other than those two things, itā€™s working. Iā€™ll upload the changes once everything is finished and tested.

1 Like

@madj42 Thank you for getting the Ryobi Garage door opener working in ST. Last night I installed Node.js on my Synology NAS and got it all working.

1 Like

Published a new version of the Node proxy that also works with the newer GD201/500 model. Itā€™s in the repo now and the one with Beta in the name. We were unable to find the light status so this is always shown as off but the button in the DTH works. Itā€™s also been reported that the battery status in the DTH does not stay after the app is closed. Please report if you run into any issues.

Is there a concise set of instrctions to using the ryobi garage door openner within Smatthings? i have to new openers in boxes that would liwk to install but qant ro make sure i can get thwm to work in smartthings before i actually install them.

If you follow @madj42ā€™s instructions this will be easy. Make sure you follow the readme 100% and you will be fine.

Has anyone tried fhe GD126? Looks like a lower HP version of the 200/201

Thanks
Simon

Not that i know of. I would say try it out and report back. If that is the new version that just came out it will have the same door sensor relay hub that I have and should work you just wonā€™t have the battery section.

@scruffy-sjb try it and let me know. If it doesnā€™t work, I will see what I can do to help you out.

On that note, Iā€™ve updated the repo with the modifications to make the gd201 model work. Thanks to @Cbarth3 for the help in getting this working. Iā€™ve made changes to the proxy code and the DTH code.

I got everything working in the Smartthings classic app on iOS, but when I load up the new Smartthings app it shows as checking status and unable to connect. A little worried that things will stop working when they stop supporting classic. Is this happening for anybody else?

Did anyone manage to get this working with Amazon Echo? So far I can only get my Echo to turn the light on and off. SmartThings is able to control the door and the light.

Great integration to SmartThings. Thanks for the hard work!

To get Alexa to open and close the door, you have to setup the ā€œAskAlexaā€ smartapp: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa

The instructions in that guide are very detailed and MUST be followed in the order in which they appear for everything to work properly. It took me a few hours to set it up, but I can confirm that it works. I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W running node.js for the SmartThings integration and then I have the AskAlexa SmartApp setup in SmartThings, running in tandem with the Alexa skill that you create as a part of the AskAlexa setup. Basically, you create your own Alexa skill using the code provided in the instructions for AskAlexa and you setup your own Amazon WebServices account to process the commands for the skill. It is a bit of a tedious process, but well worth it.

Once setup, you can query the status of the door (open/closed), command it to open/close, etc. You can even integrate with other devices and with WebCORE for custom commands and feedback!

I donā€™t understand what Iā€™m doing wrong. I get the server running on Pi. systemctl says server is ā€œloaded activatingā€. Running the debugger always gets 100, but it is SO SO slow processing any commands sent to it. From the time I press the ā€œlights onā€ and it processes, itā€™s about 2-3 minutes. Iā€™ve gone through this entire thread so many times, and sought help in linux forums, but I canā€™t figure it out. Any ideas?

Also, I should say that my Pi is wired (not wireless).

Without knowing your exact setup, itā€™s hard to pinpoint the issue. When you run the debug version, how long of a delay before you press the button in the app and the text that appears in the pi console? I just tested my setup again and the light and door open within 2 seconds of activating in the ST app. Which hub version are you using?

Side note, I havenā€™t been paying much attention to this lately due to family. Iā€™ll see what I can do to help you out but I may be a little delayed.

Itā€™s a v2 hub. Pi is hardwired to a switch thatā€™s hung of the router. Router is a Netgear N7000. Pi had been both directly on top of the gdo when it was wireless, and how is 8 feet away in a network cabinet. Distance made no difference. Debug time is nearly the same as the proxy time from button press. Itā€™s a very long time (minutes). I did not have this issue with a virtual machine running the proxy, but the virtual machine would random go to sleep and was a real hasell so I just went with the pi setup.

I am quite the noob at jsā€¦

I am following your README to a T.

Does this have to be done on a pi?

I am using #39~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 25 08:59:23 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

getting the following error:

node RyobiGDOProxy.js
/root/RyobiGDOProxy.js:7

^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token <
at createScript (vm.js:80:10)
at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:139:10)
at Module._compile (module.js:617:28)
at Object.Module._extensionsā€¦js (module.js:664:10)
at Module.load (module.js:566:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:506:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:498:3)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:694:10)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:204:16)
at bootstrap_node.js:625:3

NVMā€¦

wget the js file doesnt work for some reason

Iā€™m new to this community and thread. I spent all night setting up the ask_alexa app from this link http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa.

Now that I am done I canā€™t figure out how to add my gdo to the app. My question is do we need the smartthings hub just to get this to work (I donā€™t have the hub)? If not, what is my next move to get this to work after installing askAlexa?

Edit: After looking into RyobiGDO GitHub, I see that the hub is required.

Hi all, been following this thread for a while now, lots of great info, kudos to all. One problem I have is that I setup my system using the new app, and hence canā€™t use the legacy app without re setting everything up, which I really donā€™t want to do. So, is there any way to get this working with the new app?

Thanks