Routines Not Working that include dimmer switch setting

It’s an Oil-Filled heater so it’s much safer then most

1 Like

I have my system set up to switch modes when I’m away and fire off the routines based on my presence. It used to work pretty well with the old app and hub. Lately when I come home:

1. My presence is not updated until I go into the app and manually refresh
  2. Once I refresh and the mode changes to Home, none of my motion sensors turn on the lights. They are seeing motion but are not triggering the lights to come on. I first have to turn all the lights in a room off and then the motion sensor seems to work.
  3. It seems like the motion sensors are not really waking up quickly enough. Most of the time I have to stand in front of them and wave my hands to get them to respond. I have an Aeon Multi, a Fibaro motion 2 ST 1st gen motion and 3 Monoprice motion sensors.

Any ideas on why this stuff is no longer working smoothly?

I’d start by running A zwave repair. This is just a system utility you can run from the SmartThings mobile app, you don’t have to do anything with the individual devices.

It will only take a few minutes to run, but you may not actually see network improvements until the next day. One of those “can’t hurt might help” kind of things.

If your mode change was delayed, you may have some motion sensors in a triggered state. Once the mode is changed manually, you will need to wait for the motion sensor triggers to time out. This is the 5 or 10 minute period you set the same reason that manually changing the lights makes it start working.

1 Like

Thanks…I’ll give it a shot. When I installed my new hub I ran the Z-wave repair multiple times to make sure everything went back together smoothly. I’ll let you know if this works.

I know it isn’t a triggered sensor because i walk into a room where it was not triggered previously and it still doesn’t work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’ve also been experiencing major issues with modes and routines over the past week. My routines are activating as expected, but the actions aren’t being performed. I can see it in the Activity log:

The ‘Ready for Bed’ routine ran and then there is a summary of the actions, but when the 'Good Night!" routine runs, there is no summary of actions. If I manually run the routines in that same sequence, it will fail like that every time.

But if I skip the ‘Ready for Bed’ routine and just use one of the predefined routines, it seems to be fine:

Notice the summary of actions are correctly shown.

So is anyone else using more than the stock four routines (Good Morning, Good Night, Goodbye, I’m Back) and seeing this issue?

I’ve examined the debug logs and rebooted my hub, the problem still persists. Seems to have started about a week ago.

I have opened a support ticket.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this. Some of my routines are working, others are not. I can manually control the switches just fine. I’ve noticed dim level seems to work, as well as on, but not off? Specific example:

Evening Mode:
Turn on Lights A,B,C
Dim to 30%
Turn off Lights D,E,F,G,H,I

Lights A B C turn on just fine. They also dim from 100% to 30%. However, lights D,E,F,G,H,I do not change. My Notifications tab (both messages and activity feed) show that nothing has changed.

Another example is Goodnight, which turns off all lights downstairs and turns on my bedroom lights to 10%. Nothing changes downstairs (lights that are on stay on) but my bedroom light DOES turn on. Same as above, lights off don’t seem to be working in Routines.

I also noticed doors set to lock don’t seem to be running as part of routines.

I’ve tried creating a NEW routine from scratch that mirrors the same settings as the original (named Evening Home 2) , and the exact same outcome occurs. No difference.

I also just checked the logs in graphi.api and can confirm that my routines are not sending any off commands. I’ll contact support tomorrow to see whats up.

I spoke to support about the exact same problems. They seemed confused because each one of my routines was sending out over 150 commands? No clue what that means or why that’s bad. Maybe someone else can chime in? They said they are looking into it further. Only part of my routines are firing , meaning part of the lights will turn on but the lights that I want turned off will not

They had me add a “test” routine and make it turn on one light at 50%. It worked fine and sent the expected amount of commands. They then had me add all of my lights ( 18 total with a mix of Hue, GE link and GE switches ) and it started throwing a crazy amount of commands again.

It appears there is a new problem if " set level" is included in a routine with some devices. Try the routine without any set level and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

Has the error caused trouble for anyone that is using a routine to set SHM? My alarms keep going off despite being in a routine that has called SHM to disarm

Has the error caused trouble for anyone that is using a routine to set SHM? My alarms keep going off despite being in a routine that has called SHM to disarm

Yes, I can testify that if the routine doesn’t show a summary in the Activity Log, and it included SHM commands, its possible those SHM commands didn’t go into effect. I had it happen this morning when ‘Good Morning’ was activated, but didn’t complete, leaving the SHM in stay/arm mode instead of disarm.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same thing. Some custom defined routines are not showing ‘feedback’ in this screen, which may or may not be related to the fact that anything that dims (sends a setLevel) may or may not work.

Frustrating.

Yes. I have a security routine, and then Good Night. Some of the times when Good Night runs, it does the required actions, other times, not.

The biggest issue is it won’t set Smart Home Monitor to Arm (Stay). This turns on all my security systems. Even when I try to manually set Arm (Stay), it won’t. It will accept Arm (Away) but not Arm (Stay).

I’m pretty sure this is back-end stuff. But I suspect it’s also associated with number of devices.

My fiancé “hid” all of my sirens today

1 Like

At least do a zwave repair! :wink: And check her closet.

1 Like

You are so resourceful

Is removing the dim action from a routine as well as the thermostat actually help with this? I’d rather have my security sustem

18 yrs of marriage to your high school sweetheart! You pretty much know all the hiding places. :wink: