I wanted to share a success story regarding reusing the smart lock I received from Rogers (Canada) Smart Home Monitoring. I didn’t like how limited the lock functionality was when connected the Rogers Smart Home monitoring so I played around with it and managed to get it connected to SmartThings. The lock website states that it is Z-Wave and Zigbee compatible so I started my quest and will share my findings.
Services available for the lock when connected to SmartThings:
- Battery status
- Lock/Unlock functionality
- Lock/Unlock status reporting for use with Automation
[REF 1] Lock Manufacturer Website:
[REF 2] Manufacturer’s Instruction manual
[REF 3] Manufacturer’s installation guide
[REF 4] Instruction Manual from Rogers. This is where I found the instructions on how to pair the lock “with the Rogers provided Smart Home Monitoring Tablet”. The same instructions worked for connecting it to SmartThings:
Steps I followed to prepare the lock and pair it with SmartThings:
- I factory reset the lock by following the manufacturer’s instructions [REF 2]
- Remove the battery pack from the lock
- Press and HOLD the Program button while reinserting the battery pack. Keep holding the button for 30 seconds until the status LED flashes red.
- Press the Program button once more. When the LED flashes green, the lock has been reset.
- Follow STEP 21-24 of [REF 3] to re-calibrate the lock and program your PIN
- Pair with SmartThings [found information on how to put the lock into pairing mode by following [REF 4] "Pairing the Smart Door Lock with your Touchpad”]
- Open the SmartThings app and “Add new thing”
- While it is searching for things press the “A” button on the lock four (4) times until the LED blinks Red/Amber.
- Note: I had to perform the “Press A four times” sequence a few times for the lock to finally appear in the SmartThings App as a “Kwikset Lock”.
- Note: The lock appears in the SmartThings as a “Kwikset Lock”
- Proceed as you would when adding any other device to SmartThings
I hope this helps someone else! Enjoy.