Ring Video Doorbell

Home Depot or Lowes (or any other home store) sell wood shims for construction. They’re cheap. Add a little paint the same color as your siding and it’ll blend in pretty well.

1 Like

You can also find mounting plates for exterior lights that create a flat surface at most home improvement stores…

Ooh can you tell me exactly what you did with the black tape? My neighbours trigger my motion sensor all the time in our mid terrace so I no longer allow motion related notifications which is a bit annoying.

Trial and error my friend. Basically the neighbour on my right isn’t a problem as there is enough clearance between our doors that it doesn’t trigger the motion sensor. But on my left, our doors are only a few feet apart. A bit of black tape along the left hand sensor fixed my issue. Obviously it won’t pick up any motion at about 60 degrees from parallel left to front facing, but it still triggers if someone is on my driveway. I stuck some tape over the sensor, tested and adjusted until I had a satisfactory low threshold of triggers, but enough to capture someone on my premises (unless they manage to sit in the narrow blind spot I’ve created). I also added some tape along the top 1/2 cm or so to reduce the amount of false triggers from motion beyond my driveway (kind of the same effect as putting a wedge under the camera to change the angle of the sensor).

Alternatively, if you have access to a 3D printer:

1 Like

Hi, another UK user here, just ordered my ring.
Any news on integration? Any Smart App we can use on the IDE before integration?
Thanks

1 Like

hi,

i want to get one of those. i just wonder if it is possible to connect ti to the currently available ringer at home. its own volume seems too low for me to hear inside and i dont want to be notified through my phone because i dont carry the phone at home with me.

You can get the ring chime with it to have it ring inside the house so don’t need phone

can i connect it with my current chime ?
i dont want to use an additional wireless chime

If you have a hardwired doorbell with a chime, connecting the Ring to the wires will both power the Ring and sound the chime. Ring also sells a product called the Ring Chime that is a plug-in wireless, Wi-Fi enabled speaker, to accompany the Ring doorbell.

1 Like

I want to mount a tablet that will automatically open the Ring app when there is a ring or when it senses motion, and then after about a minute, return to the home screen of the device. I only have iOS devices right now, but is this possible with an Android tablet?

What you want would be possible with the use of Tasker.

By combining with the AutoNotification plugin you can action on the ‘answer’ button automatically as well to directly see who’s at the door… This link gives the principle behind automating this task: http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?resources/press-a-button-on-an-existing-notification-thumbs-up-on-google-play-music.140/

1 Like

Yes… but it depends on which chime you currently have, is it digital or analogue? Are you in the US? Maybe take a picture of it.

Anyone able to properly get the battery level updating by itself?
Seems to only update when I do refresh and using CoRE for Refresh or Poll didn’t help…

Thx

Kevin

Hi, any further news yet on a UK release please?

Keen to see news on this too.

Although you can’t set it up though the app, I’ve noticed that the device types for “Ring Door Bell” and “Ring Door Bell Pro” are available in the UK Smartthing Developer page if you try to add a new device manually.

I’ve had a bit of a play and not got our Pro or Stick-up cam working yet. Are any of the US users with one setup able to say which settings are required please?

Hi,

I am trying to connect Ring Doorbell to my existing wired chime.
I have some problems and yet I could not find any forum to discuss directly Ring related issues.
What is the correct place to discuss such within Smartthings community forum ?

Thanks.

Well spotted. I’ve installed the device type, but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to load in parameters like the doorbells IP address or your Ring account details. I’ve also checked to see if there is a way to link Ring to smartthings on the Ring website and that was fruitless.

I guess you need to have a smart app installed to support the device type. Can anyone in the US comment on how setup works since the Smartthings staff seem unwilling to help us in the UK or even acknowledge that this question has been asked several times now.

1 Like

I found the app under MarketPlace… Doorbells… then if I remember after it’s installed correctly you see it under the Automation tab, then SmartApps… if you go into it that’s where you link it. Then it becomes a valid motion sensor and button to SmartThings… I mostly use via the CoRE app…

Kevin

Since your question is entirely about your Ring installation, I’d recommend contacting Ring support. They are very good, in my experience.

Alternatively, you could start your own thread in the Devices & Integrations maybe. Just remember thta you’ll want to provide specific, clear, and accurate information about what you have, what you’re doing, what you’re experiencing, and what you’d prefer to experience.