Ring Video Doorbell

I have a ST routine that when it is night, pushing the door bell button turns on some lights.

I have a question. Does anyone know when or if there is already someone that has tried to get the actual ring live video or when someone rings the door the actual live video call on the SmartThings app???
I like to see all my video feeds in it whether it is ring, my indoor cam or the outside ones, all lined up on the SmartThings app.

Thank you
Denis

The video stream isn’t exposed like normal IP cameras, it’s locked down so only Ring can access it. Only official integration would let Ring expose the stream to SmartThings, the first and only 3rd party to Ring that has access to the stream that I know of, was very recently with the Amazon Echo Show.

1 Like

I was thinking I would be able to do this. Bummer that you can’t. Makes sense that you should.

Simple motion alert on/off. I understand I can make a webCoRE rule but that doesn’t allow me to simple tap on the motion alert and have the video pop up.

Why isn’t this a feature?..

Having the motion sensor via Ring Doorbell (1/2/pro) with SmartThing works great.

IFFT works great with ST and Lifx, harmony etc.

Ring and IFFT have a huge problem it seems like. I notice all triggers note there is an up to hour delay. I wanted to use IFFT because ST doesn’t support color changing or Stickup camera motion detection.

Sadly IFFT would be a work around for both missing integrations with ST but IFFT lags too much wth any Ring integration. This is also a problem if I want motion or doorbell to trigger harmony to End activity. IFFT is too slow with Ring before it even gets a chance to talk to Harmony. Not sure if there’s a way to accomplish Ring to SmartThings to Harmony to end my speakers or turn on activity to switch my tv input.

For me a want is:

1. Support Stickup Cam (and wired floodlight cams) - for motion sensor mosty. Just like with the Ring Doorbells.

2. Chime / Chime Pro integration. Would be neat to have other motion sensors talk to Chime but i feel like Ring has this device on lockdown…

3. More color support for SmartThings in general. Would be great if routines and alarm works with color support (with existing lifx color support ST already has) right now it seems ST only does manual color changes, no activity/color support.

1 Like

Have you tried webCoRE and KuKu Harmony?

Don’t know about the stickup Cam but the above 2 combos are killer.

I actually did find some Harmony addons after forgetting I did already test one. I now have my Ring Doorbell motion sensor automatically start an activity that sets my TV to my FireTV that launches the Ring android app :slight_smile:

It requires google play store to be loaded on your FireTV and sequence of “Fire Home button, down down down, okay” or however you permanently locate the Ring app from the FireTV home screen now that Amazon lets you stick apps anyway you’d like.

Now if we could just get Ring Stickup Cam that I have using Solar panel (works great) to use its motion sensor with ST the same way the Ring Doorbells do…

Fyi you can use tasker to automatically launch whatever app you want when your fire tv boots up.

How well does the Ring app run on FireTv? Do you get notifications on the FireTv like you would your phone? Do other FireTv apps still run ok? I was considering side loading it onto mine when news came out this week that echo would be able to control FireTv in an upcomming release.

Thanks I didn’t hear of that. I’ll check it out. I mostly do the button macro to launch the app so the activity always launches Ring app and goes right to the video feed, even if Fire is already on another movIe or app since Ring notifications do not properly work in the background for my FireTV. May be too much for some with motion plus, but nice to stop any music or audio input and go directly to the video stream of the doorbell when someone presses.

I also use that button macro sequence for one of the button on my physical Logitech remote so goes directly to Ring.

Ring background notifications for me don’t work on fireTV I believe because Amazon force closes unused apps.

I have a macro setup for my physical remote to launch directly into Ring app if ever motion or doorbell is triggered. Or you can do this automatically using Harmony macro and activity with Smartthings.

@csuk any updates on integrating Ring door bell video with ST?

2 Likes

@webcd - I have managed to download the ring app onto the fire stick but it does not work as I get a message saying google play services is missing. Can you advise on how you got it working on the fire stick. Apologies, I know this is an aside from the thread but it would be awesome to be able to see the video feed on my tv - especially once I can use Harmony and ST to trigger an activity when the doorbell is pushed.

@csuk
any updates??
Your reply is from Dec’ 16… We are now in Jul’ 16 !!
7 months (!) is a very VERY long time for an integration of such an important aspect of any smart home - its main door.

You could try this. (I haven’t tried it, but it doesn’t require rooting.) https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general/installing-google-play-service-rooted-t3574088

U.K. devil I’m traveling on mobile but have the notes / bookmarks At home.

You do need to install google play / services in order for Ring app content to load properly. And you must always be on the latest Ring update.

You should not have to root anything.

When I get home I’ll send an update here or PM.

@webcd @ukdevil I am also interested in learning how to get to ring app working on amazon fire stick.

I have downloaded the app from google play and can see it on my amazon fire stick. But when I open the app it closes itself after a few seconds. Any help very much appreciated.

Disclaimer:: The Fire TV remote is terrible with navigating Ring app. You have to “guess” what item you are highlighting. I typically use the direction pad to the left multiple times until i can see a list of all my devices…then if I select my Doorbell or Camera I can navigate down a few times to see LIVE VIEW highlighted. (when using Fire remote)

I really do not use the Ring app for Fire TV to monitor audio also. While you can, it’s challenging to find out how you are highlighting the speaker icon…(unless you use a mouse for everything)

Real life usage:
When there is motion detected or somebody ring’s my doorbell, the video stream will start playing instantly if there is any Ring activity AS LONG as you manually launch the app after motion/doorbell activity is heard.

What I use Ring/Fire for is setting up a sequence shortcuts on my harmony remote.
If I press the “…” button on my remote while on a FireTV related activity is on, my harmony will automatically press HOME and launch a sequence (down down down + OK) that navigates to the Ring app on my Fire home screen.

The Ring app will NOT automatically launch without an automated Harmony/trigger (which is really cool) linked to Ring via smartthings/stringy/etc…Also again, no Ring/android related notifications will popup on the FireTV.

As of now if someone walks in my driveway, my lights (GE, LIFX, and MagicBright) blink purple a few times and my music stops while my TV turns on to the Ring app displaying the camera feed. I don’t have to touch anything, just a button to turn it off when I’m done. (for now)

Only do this if you really really want this functionality and have some technical skills. I wouldn’t recommend the trouble for the average user expecting a real cool seamless security system with Ring & FireTV at this time.

Ok whatever…so how? -

I sideloaded all the required Google and “Play Store Services” apks via ES downloader (file browser app) which can be downloaded through the Amazon store.

From there I added a favorite pointed to a URL such as: https://www.mediafire.com/?a1tn6fy4jcbs1v7 as described in this tutorial: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-android-tvs-google-play-music-app-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick-without-root/

While I never was able to download anything using Google Play Store, the Ring APK requires Play Services to be installed.

Once Google Play Services are installed on your Fire TV first (and you have logged into your Google account successfully) – Now you will want to focus on Ring app.

Because the actual Google Play Store app itself may not work, most android apks can be found from another marketplace app called “1Mobile Market” that can also be downloaded and installed via ES Explorer. This 1Mobile Market app does require a USB or Bluetooth compatible mouse to actually navigate through the app. If you cannot support either of these mouse devices, then there is a workaround app you can also install via ES explorer callede “mousetoggle.apk” which lets you use the firetv remote as a mouse cursor.

Video Walkthrough for ES Downloader, 1Mobile Market, and Mousetoggle

Step-by-step recap for Ring.com on FireTV:

1. Download ES Explorer via Amazon App store on your Fire

2. Add this favorite to ES Explorer first to download Google Play Services
    https://www.mediafire.com/?a1tn6fy4jcbs1v7

Download the zip and install all apks and verify Google credentails.

1. Add another favorite to ES explorer:
    http://gary3dfxtech.net/
    This site contains apks for Mousetoggle and 1MobileMarket

2. depending on if you need to run mousetoggle first. — Lauching 1mobilemarket will allow you to search for the “Ring” doorbell app. – Download/Install ring and login with your credentials.

The latest version of Ring.com is working on the latest FireTV OS. If Ring installs but no video or content, then Google Play Services was not installed properly.

4 Likes

Thanks for this info, Benji…

But… do you happen to have found a confirmation somewhere; a developer’s forum or FAQ, etc?

It’s impossible to “prove a negative”, of course; but I’ve not had luck finding discussion on this, which is surprising given this product’s popularity!

I don’t but since that post, they did allow it on the Echo Show and (I think) one other device…