Ring Spotlight Battery

I am wondering if the spotlight only, non-camera works with smartthings? All of my cameras work great, but I didn’t know about the light only work?

Looking to have a light turn on when there is Motion at my doorbell. And when Motion stops, it turns off.

Thanks for the help!

Tagging @perduewv

I have no experience with the non-camera Ring spotlights, so I am not really sure. They aren’t listed in the IDE, but it’s really hard to say when their stuff is so contradictory right now.

For example…

The new ST App shows these devices as being supported

• Floodlight Cam
  • Spotlight Cam Mount
  • Spotlight Cam Wired
  • Stick Up Cam Battery

The old ST App only shows these devices

• Ring Floodlight Cam
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Mount
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Wired

and, the IDE shows these device handler types

• Ring Doorbell
  • Ring Doorbell Pro
  • Ring Floodlight Cam
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Battery
  • Ring Stickup Cam Battery
  • Ring Stickup Cam Wired

As you can see, the new App and the old App both show the Spotlight Cam Mount as being supported, but it’s not listed in the IDE and I have not been able to get mine to connect (through either app)… yet.

I do, however, have a Spotlight Cam Wired (which is listed in both old and new apps, but not in the IDE) and it is working perfectly. ST automatically assigned the device handler type of Ring Floodlight Cam to it. Would ST automatically assign a working device handler type to a non-camera spotlight? I’m inclined to believe probably not, because of the missing camera attributes, but at this point, :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well I wonder if there is a way to make it accomplish what I want still? I hate to spend $100 on something that I can’t use…

I use motion from my Ring Doorbell Camera to trigger a few lights at night and this has been working well for me for almost a year now.

My porch light (hue bulb) brightens from 10% to 100% when motion is detected, and it goes back to 10% after no motion is detected for 5 mins.

I have another outdoor light that turns on when motion is detected and turns off when no motion is detected for 5 mins. It is a dumb bulb controlled by a smart GE/Jasco Z-Wave Wall Switch.

The Ring battery spotlights and lighting bridge do not work with SmartThings. I have 4 ring lights attached with the bridge.

The best you can do at this point is have the the Ring lights turn on when motion is detected by the cameras. This is done through the Ring App.

This is a step in the right direction. To make sure I understand correctly. It will turn on with motion from my doorbell. And then turn off once there is no motion. Will it turn on with motion from the light itself as well? Or is it only motion from the camera?

How bright are they? I’m looking to use it for motion on the side of the house toward a gate.

Correct. With Linked Devices in the Ring app you can create any device to trigger another linked device. The Ring lights have motion sensors that will trigger them on and off. The are much brighter than I expected them to be.

1 Like

I have my Ring Spotlight Cam Battery connected and working in ST. I changed the battery yesterday and can not figure out how to get the battery status to update in the ST app. Before changing the battery the level was displaying correctly.
Any suggestions?