Ring Gen 2 Keypad - No beep when doors opened

It’s possible. The two we have here in the labs are working fine. Maybe the newer manufacturing batches have issues. I would recommend contacting ring support or connecting them to a ring base station. Maybe they have access to hidden settings that are manufacturer specific or contact ring support and ask them about the posts on the ring community forum and the soft volume.

@RBoy Here are some clues in case it helps.

I have 2 Ring Keypad Gen 2 devices, each running a different firmware version (per “Raw Description” in SmartThings):
ver:1.08 ← The “find sensor” button WORKS with RBoy “Enhanced Z-Wave Keypad Lock” device handler v02.06.00. (I hear a sound from the device, as expected.)
ver:1.20 (the latest version available today - I just updated it via Ring Alarm’s hub) ← The “find sensor” button DOES NOT work. Other functionality and sounds do.

The device configuration for both of these is nearly identical.

So then, I started playing with the Device Handler’s ‘beep’ function. By default, when crafting the “set indicator” command, it sets a value of 255. I noticed that if I set a value of 0xef or lower, I DO hear a sound (albeit slightly quieter than what I would have expected), whereas the values higher than that DO NOT appear to play a sound.

I wonder if the meaning or valid range of this value changed in newer firmware? I’m tempted to upgrade the other device’s firmware to see if it breaks as well.

In the meantime, I’ll just manually use a value of 0xef instead of 255 as a workaround. Both devices seem OK with that.

EDIT: Confirmed. I upgraded the second keypad from ver:1.08 to ver:1.20, and it doesn’t “beep” with a value of 255. 0xef works. I think this is a regression in the Device Handler for newer firmware versions of the Ring Keypad Gen 2

@Plat Thanks for reporting this. That’s a reserved value and shouldn’t be used, but I think I know what’s going on. I’ve sent you a PM for more details.

An updated version has been released here to fix the issue and also add the ability to control the volume

1 Like