I’m posting this because searching for it didn’t show a previous thread, and others might be in the same situation.
I had a bad GE in wall on/off switch. It was listed as offline in the app and did not function locally when pressing on the switch. I ordered a new one and emailed SmartThings about the easiest way to swap them out without having to re-add it to all the routines, automations, and scenes etc. They were useless. I tried back and forth and they kept answering the wrong question. Eventually they told me it couldn’t be done.
They were wrong, here is what I did, and it worked exactly as I hoped it would:
- Obtain new/unused device (not already included in the hub)
- Go to malfunctioning device and open Classic SmartThings app
- Go to device that is not responding
- Select gear icon to open settings
- Select Replace button
- Wait for app to attempt to fix problem. Takes a couple minutes. App then advises to continue. Leave app open on that screen.
- Turn off power to switch at breaker panel
- Remove old device
- Install new device
- Restore power
- Press switch on new device. (You do not need to include it or anything else first that will happen automatically.)
- Smarthings app screen changes indicating that the replace was successful. The app now lists the new device exactly as if it were the old device, without an error message, and listed as part of the old devices routines, automations, etc.
Hope this helps.