Replacing a Device

Is there a way to replace a current Smartthings device with a another one (new one)? Basically, I have two devices that need to be replaced. The first device is a Smartthings arrival sensor. The battery will not completely stay in. The second device is half of a Smartthings Multipurpose sensor that fell off the door/wall, and I cannot find it. The kids probably picked it up and threw it in the trash. I would like to buy the exact same devices to replace them. However, when I set these devices up, I would like them to basically replace the mentioned items above. I have several routines and SmartApps related to the status of these devices, and I am trying to avoid going into the various settings of all the routines and SmartApps to “swap out” the devices. So I am wondering does anyone know if there is a quick way to do a device “swap/replace”?

(Greg) #2

Both devices you described are zigbee, so no. It sounds daunting but it really isn’t that bad.

Pair your new replacement device call it “XXXX new”. Then go to your old device XXXX’s smart app view - which will give you direct access to the smart apps and routines that were associated with XXXX. Then just select XXXX new and deselect XXXX. When there is nothing left in XXXX smart app view, just delete the device.

If these were zwave devices then there is a replace function.

Thanks for the quick response. I will try your method as it seems simple and straightforward. I have had to do this in the past, and from what I can remember it just took forever. But then again, I can be slow at times…lol.

(Greg) #4

One thing I forgot to mention - don’t forget to go back and rename XXXX new to XXXX after you delete the original XXXX! lol

Fyi on this. If you don’t replace it with the same Panasonic battery that came with it, you will have problems with the battery seating properly because the lip of let’s say an Energizer isn’t the same. I know because I had the same issue. The workaround is to remove the internal device from the case and wrap a rubber band around it so that it stays in place. Been fine in mine for 3 months. That, or order Panasonic. Cheaper than having to purchase a new one.

Got it!!! Thanks

I will try this as well. Thanks!