Replaced My Existing Security Panel with Konnected Security - My Writeup

Is there enough power to run more than one tablet off this setup, assuming you’re using existing wiring?

I would not try to power a tablet off of your existing power supply. Most tablets are gonna use 1 to 2 amps and in my project the power supply is rated for 1 amp total. This is fine for the boards, glass breakage sensors, siren, etc, but adding a tablet or 2 would kill the power supply. The wires should be fine but I would add another power supply for tablets even if it’s just the standard plugin one that they come with and then reuse the wires between your panel and the tablet hanging on the wall.

I have box nearby my alarm - was thinking of converting 110v to 12v with
more amps. Would I fry the boards with something like this?

http://a.co/eT1xTbQ

Otherwise, I was just going to put a plug in the alarm box and have two
power supplies - one for the boards and one for the tablets.

That should work fine but personally I’d have a separate power supply for each.

What do you use the tablet for?

Nothing yet, just arming/disarming through the app right now.

I’m leaning heavily on using the Koala mounts (https://www.amazon.com/Damage-free-Dockem-Smartphones-eReaders-chrome-plated/dp/B008E0Q0C0) along with a Amazon Fire 7" tablet and using the existing 4 wires that went to the old keypad for power. I’m currently doing the 2 week trail of Action Tiles ([RELEASE: v6.7] ActionTiles (formerly called “SmartTiles V6”)) and I think it will work to replace my keypad. The only variable is the time delay on Smart Home Monitor which there is a SmartApp for ([Release] Smart Home Monitor Exit and Entry Delays) but I really wish SmartThings would just build the delay into SHM properly (@slagle seriously…) . I’ve put in a support request for it and I suggest everyone else does also.

1 Like

I have an Xfinity Keypad, use Actiontiles and think it is a really great product. However, while I can set the AlarmState with SmartTiles, I’ve not found any way to use it as a keypad with pin codes.

As far as SmartThings adding delays to SmartHome {BIG SIGH}

I’m not sure if we are talking the same thing since I’ve only been playing with ActionTiles for a couple days but there is a pin option that can be added to the SHM tab which I think works for me.

I tell everyone to put in a support request asking for it. Eventually they have to add it, right? Right?? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I want multiple pins that I can issue, update, burn, and revoke. Currently ActionTiles offers one pin.

As they say in southwest Louisiana: “Yeah, you right”

I presume you mean “ActionTiles”, not SmartTiles?

To set a PIN for SHM Tile in ActionTiles:

• Go to the Panel Builder (dashboard editor; pencil).

• Select Menu - Panel Settings

• Scroll down to Panel Security and press Enable for Panel PIN Code.

• You will be prompted for your Password and can set the PIN code.

• Next; Go to the list of Tiles on the Panel and select the Tile Options menu for the SHM Tile or many other PIN Protectable Tile types like Lock, Garage Door, …

• Select Tile Security. There will be a toggle to enable or disable PIN Protection for that Tile…

pardonne mes faux pas

For those following this thread I just wanted to say I’ve ended up with a Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet when they went on sale for $55 (Amazon Fire Tabs on sale for Prime Members 7" $35 8" $55). I also purchased the subscription to ActionTiles ([RELEASE: v6.7] ActionTiles (formerly called "SmartTiles V6")). Found some stuff online to remove the ads that come on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJU69Oj7ksU) and install Google Play (https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603) which was pretty nice. Also added a “auto launcher” to launch Firefox when the tablet starts up (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autostart&hl=en) and a FireFox add-on that makes it run in full screen (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/full-screen-for-firefox/).

The tablet comes with a 5v 1amp adapter. My existing wire from the alarm panel to the old keypad was 22ga which is kinda small but that gauge is rated for up to 3 amps so even for the distance (around 30’) it will be more then fine for powering the tablet (https://www.gore.com/IndustrialCableConfigurator/popup_hfr_wirespecs.html). I’ll just hack open a micro USB adapter, cut out the data wires (usually white and green) and use the power (red and black) to get the tablet powered from the panel in the basement. The only other thing is the old panel was slightly taller then the tablet when on it’s side so I’ll either have to fix the wall or what I’m going to try to do is find a small white plastic/abs panel thats slightly bigger then the tablet and put that behind it as a mount. This way it will also look just like the EcoBee with its black face and white mount which is right around the corner from the tablet.

And here is the tablet and what it boots right into (after you swipe the lock screen). Firefox auto loaded in full screen view with my ActionTile “Tablet View” panel displayed:

I only put my doors statuses and locks on it along with SHM and a couple routines that made sense to click when going in and out. I have some other “views” setup for everything else but don’t plan on using them on this tablet.

I’ll post a final picture once I get the tablet mounted decently.

3 Likes

Thanks for making ActionTiles a part of your story, Allen!

May I ask a huge favor; could you post a screenshot showing the PIN Input drawer pop-up for the SHM Tile? It’s a feature we were particularly proud to add, (by popular request).

1 Like

Sure…

Although I would suggest a way to have multiple pins and log which was used somewhere accessible from the panel view. Other then that it works pretty well.

1 Like

Today I got my Fire HD8 tablet mounted and powered. To start when I pulled the old keypad off it was kinda a mess:

20170923_105202

Plus I had a old sensor to the left with some holes. I hate patching drywall so I was determined to cover all the holes at once and give the tablet a good base. To that end I bought a cheap ($12) Watts 8" x 8" access panel to cover the wall and some Koala tablet holders that @anon36505037 suggested. They make a double sided tap version for $20 and a screw in version for $15. I opted for the screw in since I figured it would help hold the access panel to the wall:

20170923_105247

Used some 6" diagonal cutters to cut off everything raised on the back so it would sit flush against the wall:

20170923_112932

I measured it up to just cover the extra holes I had to the left so thats why the wire/center screws are offset. I then measured up the Koala tabs, drilled through into the wall, put in the drywall anchors, and mounted everything. I also cut a micro USB cable in half and wired one half to the old keypad wires red and black leaving the white and green for a potential chime or buzzer if needed:

20170923_135025

I then used the other half and wired to the same wire in the panel and plugged it in:

20170923_142407

And now its mounted and ready to go. I turned on the developer options to remove the ads and stuff (previous post) and also disabled the screen from locking so it will just stay on this screen indefinitely (turned the lights off because that screen is super glossy):

20170923_135214

Only thing left to do since we apparently can’t rely on SmartThings to add a SHM delay is to install and get the SHM Delay program working. I also purposely mounted the tablet a little higher then centered because I’m debating adding small LED’s to the panel for status along the bottom, using the ST_Anything system to turn LED’s on and off based on statuses in SmartThings. Like red for armed, green for disarmed, maybe a led for each door, etc. Haven’t decided if I want to do that much yet but we’ll see.

-Allan

2 Likes

Nice writeup and photos setting up the Fire tablet. Should you bump into a motion sensor triggering the alarm during the entry delay, there is now an alpha version of SHM Delay Child that does a true entry delay.

2 Likes

You might want to consider modding the plate to do QI wireless charging of the tablet.

You could tape this on the back of the tablet. (The micro usb plug is low profile.)

Then probably buy any cheap QI charger for less than $5 and transfer the guts to your backplate. They use usb 5v power.

1 Like

Yeah, I looked into that at length simply because they micro USB plug is so small and already at the right angle to hide behind it but I was worried about clearance on the charger part. The Koala hangers are pretty tight and I didn’t want to have to embed it into the backplate or even possibly behind it so I just went with a plug.

I got the tablet when they were on sale for $50 just for this so I figure I’m not going to be moving it. If it was going to be more portable I probably would have gone the wireless charging route.

1 Like

I saw the ADT 2GIG Alarm Panel at SDC this past week and noted that it has multiple PINs … and a log.

So it certainly is a reasonable Feature Request. (Though entry/exit delays is a higher priority; but out of our court).

We’d super appreciate the multiple-PINs Feature request to be made on our feedback Forum: ActionTiles Forum / AT Support & Ideas

Thank-you!

Honest question: for arming couldnt you simply delay the relaying of the command to arm for 30 or 60 seconds? I understand disarm delay is a lot harder (hence entire amartapps designed to get around this SmartThings limitation) but on arming i would think its trivial other then for lack of better terms “scheduling” the sending of the command for a future time.