Removing the Zigbee Chip from a ST Hub?

Has anyone tried or know of anyone who has tried removing the Zigbee chip? I don’t want or need it and I want to remove since it cannot be disabled. I have other 2.4GHz devices, neighbors have 2.4GHz and don’t need the extra interference.

Uhm - no? And probably not worth it as considering device power - Zigbee has way less power than Wifi and the reason it gets clobbered by a good WiFi signal in the same signal range.

2 Likes

Leaving it won’t hurt you. I’d be concerned with firmware upgrades causing you problems. If there’s any kind of process that validates, updates, or does anything with chip diagnostics, you could render your hub into a brick if the chip can’t be detected for any reason.

1 Like

You can disable the Zigbee radio in IDE

You can disable the Zwave radio, but where can you do that for Zigbee?

2 Likes

Your right, I don’t see it. I must have confused it with the Zwave radio settings.

2 Likes

I’d be concerned with firmware upgrades causing you problems. If there’s any kind of process that validates, updates, or does anything with chip diagnostics, you could render your hub into a brick if the chip can’t be detected for any reason.

Good point. I don’t understand why Samsuck can’t just add an option to disable Zigbee.