[RELEASE] Zooz MultiRelay (ZEN16)

Open the settings in the mobile app and change any setting. The child devices most likely won’t appear in the same room as the parent.

Thanks for the response Kevin! I feel like this is a really amazing thing you’ve made to get this to work with ST. Now I just need to get it to work.

I went into settings and changed the name and room. I also turned it on and off through the app (I did hear the device ‘click’). Still no children showing up, no new devices, checked all rooms.

The main device did appear in the ‘No room assigned’ when included.

That’s not the settings so the device must have joined with a built-in handler. Open the device in the IDE and change the Type field to this handler.

1 Like

THANK YOU KEVIN!!! That was it exactly. The 3 child relays popped up almost immediately after changing the Type to this Zooz MultiRelay handler. (it had defaulted to ‘z-wave multi-relay’).
Here’s a link for what I did to fix it incase anyone is referencing this in the future: https://dome.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006896108-I-created-the-device-handler-but-why-isn-t-SmartThings-recognizing-my-device-correctly-

Ok, one more hiccup, I’m installing this as a ST remote garage door opener for my parents but don’t want voice assistant functionality (to reduce accidents).

There is a bullet point in the guide:

"

• If you’d like to control your garage door using your Amazon Echo smart speaker, you can also install the handler from this link to set this integration up. Follow the steps above to install the handler. This is optional and only for users who’d like to add voice control through Alexa to their solution.
    "

I did not use this handler, but the Alexa and Google Assistant are both somehow controlling the relays. I’m looking for a solution that is available in SmartThings, but not voice assistants. Any advice? I’m actually not used to the voice assistance, can they just be removed from the voice assistants? They relays somehow auto added to them.

If you go into the Google and Alexa apps you should be able to disable those devices.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me the advantage of this device over say, the go control zwave garage door opener?

For example, can I get separate control over the ‘light’ button on my garage door opener with this?

And I guess next question is, what is the difference between the zen16 and zen17 when used with a garage door?

1 Like

Probably more qualified folks here to answer. But speaking from the perspective of a zen17 user:

• go control seems more expensive, but easier to set up and includes a tilt sensor
  • seems you can only connect 1 GDO to go control? Vs 2 for zen17, 3 for zen16
  • zen17 seems more flexible. I have 1 relay controlling a GDO, and the second switch on the zen17 monitoring a condensate pump safety switch to turn a dehumidifier off and send an alert

I’m not too sure about zen16 vs 17, though I know 17 uses 700 series chip. Zen16 has 3 relays, vs 2 for zen17. But zen17 relays can be either normally open or normally closed. I believe Zen17 can also disable the link between the switch/sensor and the relay. Meaning you could use the switch/sensor for one purpose and the relay for another. Zen17 generally seems more flexible, but clearly there are cases where 16 would be superior (eg a 3 car garage where you could connect all 3 doors to the one device and control separately).

The main downside to either the 16 or 17 seems to be that they rely on a groovy smartapp to work properly as garage door openers.

Exactly my use and it works perfectly.

True.

As far as I can tell there are no community developed smartapps for the new platform yet. I don’t expect there to be many, or perhaps any, as the hurdle to building one is a lot higher than before.

I don’t use a smartapp for my zen17, though I do use a groovy custom device handler developed by zooz. Zooz’s customer service is great, so I expect they’ll make an edge driver that will be ready to go when groovy goes away.

Everything @William_Knecht explained about the differences is correct.

The biggest differences is that the ZEN17 DTH can create different types of child devices for the inputs that aren’t tied to the relays so you could have 1 input as a water sensor, another as a contact sensor, and use the relays to control 2 other devices.

The biggest issue with drivers and multichannel devices at the moment is that drivers only support component child devices and you can’t use component devices with Google Home or Alexa.

It’s been a few months since I’ve looked into that so it’s possible they’ve already fixed that issue and if they haven’t then they most likely will before the IDE goes away because that would break a bunch of the built-in handlers too.

It’s not that difficult to explain how to install a Groovy SmartApp to a novice ST user, but trying to get them to setup the hosting environment in order to use a SmartApp for the new platform would be a support nightmare which is probably why you’re not seeing many.

I might be able to create a driver for a virtual device you can use with some specific routines as a replacement for the Garage Door SmartApp. It would be a little clunky to setup, but it would prevent you from losing that functionality once the Groovy platform is retired.

If you mean the child devices, then I can tell you that Alexa can control them in Hubitat…don’t know about ST, though.

If the mobile app shows the child devices on the Devices tab then those aren’t implemented as components and you’ll be able to use them with Alexa, Google Home, etc., but you can’t implement them that way in a driver.

Someone posted about the issue with multicomponent drivers not working with integrations yesterday and SmartThings confirmed that the issue still exists…

Thanks for all the solutions provided above, however I’m running into another issue that I’m not finding a solution to.
Trying to get my Zooz Zen16 to work as a garage door opener in Smartthings. I believe I’ve followed these instructions but I’m not able to see the SmartApp.
Here is the process I’ve taken so far:
I’ve added the 2 Device handlers and the SmartApp in ST graph api. Once published, I added Zooz ZEN16 device. Device added fine but was only showing one device. I checked the device in graph api and noticed it was pulling a default device handler. I changed the type from Z-Wave Device Multichannel to the Zooz MultiRelay (I believe this is correct or do I need to select the Zooz Garage Door DH here). Once updated it pulled the additional 3 child devices into ST.

When I click on “Automations > + Add Routine > Discover” I don’t see the Zooz Garage Door SmartApp available.

When I view the child switch devices within ST graph api, the type is set to “child switch”. Do I need to change my child device type over to the Zooz Garage Door DH or is it fine leaving as-is?

It sounds like the device is fine, but if you’ve installed and published the SmartApp then it should appear on that discover tab, way at the bottom.

EDIT: I decided to restart my phone and now it’s showing up under Discover. One would think I would’ve tried that initially. Always try restarting!

All seems to be working good! If I remove the initial 4 devices (master, 3 child switches) from ST, will it continue to function? It created a 5th device when I setup the garage door.
Also, someone mentioned using Google Assistant to open/close. The device is showing in Google Home, what’s the magic words? Open seasame didn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

I was going to recommend clearing the cache, but rebooting’s even better.

The master device is the only one that talks to the physical device, the child devices talk to the master, and the mobile app only talks to the child device you selected so the virtual device created by the app won’t work without those other devices.

Technically you could delete the devices created for the relays you’re not using, but the next time you change a setting for the master device it would re-create them.

There’s no way to prevent ST from adding all your devices to Google Home and I think if you delete the device from Google Home it will just get added again, but I think there’s a way to disable/hide a devices within Google Home.

If Google home sees it as a switch then you’d probably need to use “on” for open and “off” for closed.

If Google home sees it as a garage door then for security reasons it might not let you control the device until you’ve gone into the settings and created a PIN for it. (I might be thinking of Alexa…)

On a different note, since this topic is for the relay and not the garage door app, your posts with the links might be confusing so would you mind deleting it?

Appreciate all the help Kevin! I’ll leave the extra devices. You were correct in stating that Google Home can control as if it were a switch, not a door. I did setup some custom voice commands so ‘close garage door’, ‘open garage door’ all turn the switch ‘On’ which in turns opens/closes the door.

This Zooz switch definitely is pretty powerful. I’m looking forward to getting another and using it for my fireplace ignitor and possibly blower motor. :slight_smile:

1 Like