[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

Ok, tested a bit more this morning. It will arm/disarm as expected if I select only one virtual switch in “Any of these switchs”, but there is no arming or disarming notifications when I select two of the newly created virtual switches.

@fshelton79 No sir. I think I’m confused about how to setup modes within IA to act similar to STHM. In STHM I have mode: Armed Stay: where all door/window sensors are active and the siren is set to go off after 30 seconds of an intrusion. And then Armed away: where all door/window sensors are also selected but then motion in the house is additionally selected. Everythign works as it should in STHM; however, if you enter a door while the system is armed, there is a delay before the siren goes off; however, once the intrusion alert is detected you can only dismiss via the app and I want to be able to do it via actiontiles (which does disarm the system, but doesn’t “kill” the intrusion alert. @RBoy has indicated that this app will take care of that issue but in my testing, I haven’t found out how to do that yet.

The one thing that I can’t find is any different mode for “away” vs “stay” where you can select sensors for each different mode. I know there is the “active resident” feature, but I am looking for something a bit more permanent. Maybe I need to just suck it up and lean how to use WebCore…heh.

ST doesn’t allow for SmartApps to have a “dashboard” at this time (it’s in the roadmap) so the easiest way to do this is to install the app multiple times, one for each “mode” with different triggers and arming conditions for each “mode”, e.g. one for Armed Away and another for Armed Stay. The app takes care of cancelling any alarms which have not been triggered if it’s disarmed during the Entry delay period as mentioned above.

1 Like

Alright, two installs of the app got me what I wanted with respect to a Stay mode and Away mode…new user within the past few days so had no idea multiple installs of the same app was a thing.

One thing it would be awesome to have is the ability to sound a buzzer during the duration of the entry and exit delay timers. I am sure I can create some kind of work around, but it would be nice to have it baked in to the app.

1 Like

That feature already exists, it’s called a “Beep keypad” on the Notifications page. You would need a ZigBee Keypad to get those entry/exit beeping sounds.

2 Likes

That would be perfect if I were using a Zigbee Keypad, but have gone with the option of a cheap tablet with ActionTiles. I will just need to look into having that display a coutdown or maybe having Alexa announce it.

1 Like

@RBoy Is there a way to utilize one of my Echo Dots with echo speaks or another way to “beep” or create another sound or even a voice notification?

Sure you can. Just enable the Detailed notifications option in the Notifications page, set the Audio notifications to Speak and select your Echo device on the Speak/play notifications option. It’ll announce the countdown (entry/exit delay).

I am stating to loose my mind… I am trying to get an Iris Key Pad v 2 to work with STHM (new App).

I am using roboys DEVICE HANDLER (Enhanced Keypad Lock Device Handler) for they Key Pads and intruder Alert and LUM. I have carefully followed the instructions. At first it kinda worked for a few hours and has stopped.

I was never able to get the partial key to work.

Now in the ap the key pads just keep saying connecting. I have updated the handler deleted and readded the devices. With no luck.

ANY advice. I really had hoped SmartThings would have a native key pad.

I am trying actiontiles but family really wants a key pad.
I think it is insane that a work around using virtual switches to have Alexa disarm is easy to set up (and crazy unsafe) but a keypad in near impossible. OK done venting :slight_smile:

It sounds like your keypad may having trouble communicating with the hub or possibly the platform is timing out.

If it’s the former you’ll notice that the keypad events are missing from the recently tab in the Classic app or the Events history in the new app. Adding a zigbee repeater close to your keypad may be the solution here (assuming the batteries are good). Once you start seeing the events show up then you can rule out keypad issues.

If it’s the latter it’ll fix itself once the platform resumes normal operation, it may help to delete the automations,recreate them and verify that it’s setup correctly. I can see the partial key working here so I’m guessing it’s a missed step or a platform timeout.

EDIT: Just saw your other post about your automation issues.

How do I use the STHM Dashboard to arm/disarm the Intruder Alert app? I have installed the app without any sensors or responses but as a result it does not show any dashboard buttons to press and switch the STHM state.

It’s a bug in STHM. You’ll need to add one virtual or unused sensor to STHM so it’ll show you the dashboard.

Hi @RBoy

I have a pretty cool setup for my home alarm through smartthings, but to be perfectly honest I did find it quite problematic to get set up.

One of the main components is @arnb’s SHM Delay, which works wonderfully - allows the system to be put into Armed mode with an audible beeper whilst the system gives enough time for the user to exit/enter without firing the alarm (stupid miss from the original Samsung SHM).

Over time I’ve got this set up pretty much the way I want it. The issue is that to have done that, I have a combination of smartlighting rules, routines and even a bit of webcore all hacked together to keep things right.

I did try to simplify things down by moving as much as possible to webcore (for neatness) , but found that the cloud based aspects meant that it was too damn laggy. For example, I have a cheap Rfid keypad with simple NO & NC connections to a fibaro UBS. Pressing a button on the keypad opens a contact on the Fib, and a smartlighting rule sets the system to armed. Pressing on a Rfid tag closes a contact, and sets the system to disarmed.

Various smartlighting rules and routines are in use to ensure that certain virtual and physical switches are flicked to the correct position when the mode changes, and I’ve found this all pretty much worked beautifully. But it was a lot of hassle and time/effort to set up to ensure that everything stays ‘synced’.

One problem was due to cloud delays which meant that say, you armed the alarm, and then realised you weren’t actually ready to leave, so you disarmed it. But maybe by that point a routine was part way through firing or whatever, and basically, the sync would get lost (eg. ShM would show as disarmed, but my motion lights were still disabled… A routine just wasn’t completing in full).

Attempting to swap entirely to webcore just exasperated these delays. Unusable.

The current set up seems to be pretty much faultless relying heavily on (local) virtual/physical switches and (minimal) routines with more complex smartlighting rules which seems to be the most robust way of dealing with things. For whatever reason. Webcore pistons just don’t cut it, or take far too long to react due to cloud. Might only be 5-10 seconds, but that’s a lifetime when you’re just trying to exit or enter and you don’t want to stand there wondering if your button press has actually registered, so to speak.

I’m a little concerned about the complexity and the reproducibility of what I’ve made. If the hub happened to die, I’d really struggle to set this up from scratch without some serious note taking prior. Not ideal for any system. Also, the new app won’t have routines and I’d like to know that whatever I set up now, will keep working.

Would you recommend this app to replace my setup? Cheers.!

I completely turned off the built in SHM and went with RBoy’s app for two reasons:

1. I can control arming and disarming with a virtual switch
  2. I can install multiple instances of RBOY’s app to seperate “zones”. For example I have a barn and one install of RBoy’s app for the barn with a virtual switch for the barn that when the switch is on the alarm is armed and when the switch is off the alarm is off. I have the same thing for the house (another install and another switch) and for then another install for the in-law suite.

Having three separate instances of the alarm app each with its own virtual switch is SO MUCH better than trying to build dozens of modes to cover every potential scenario of someone home / away in each area. All I have to do is build the rules of what turns on or off the virtual switch. I do that with a combination of presence awareness using phones, keypads and even a few smart buttons.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply =)

(a) Could the alarm/disarm using the fibaro contacts opening/closing?

(b) I’m aware smartapps are cloud based, and sometimes the delays aren’t a problem, but as I mentioned earlier I don’t want to press a button then need to wait maybe 5 secs + to see if it’s registered and the delay buzzer sounds. How responsive is this, really?

© My existing solution uses a (local) smart mains socket to power a 12v beeping amber light. Can I still use the same here? Or more ideally, can this make a wife-friendly beeping or countdown via kioskbrowser ? (I use kioskbrowser on a dedicated android box for a variety of voice announcements.)

(d) Can this be set to flick a stack of switches on or off depending on whether alarm has been armed/disarmed… etc? One of the issues I found with smartthings is that (as I mentioned) sometimes these routines failed to complete in full. Possibly due to a last-minute change of mind. I seem to recall some mention of a built-in check for execution of routines…? Or perhaps this was another app on the @RBoy server.

(e) Is this compatible with the new app?

Shame that there isn’t an option to test out these apps beforehand. I know there’s a lot to be gained by access to the server, but i did look before and because I only want one app, it’s difficult to justify the high price. For example, actiontiles was on the expensive side, but I played with it for 2 weeks on and off before becoming utterly reliant on it =)

Cheers all.

I’m struggling to get a response to my queries from the author so unfortunately it seems that it’s a no-go.

This app is now compatible with the Ring Alarm Keypad. It’s a Z-Wave Plus keypad with many sophisticated and sleek features. You can find more details about it here:

1 Like

Is there any reason why I would want to stick with the stock alarm STHM functionality versus using this? I’m a user of other RBoy Apps and they’re great, I just want to understand if I’m losing anything by not using the stock STHM implementation?

Actually, does the RBoy app make use of that and operates more of like a better front end to it or does it operate completely on its own outside of the stock STHM system?

Another question I have… Can I use this as well as the RBoy LUM SmartApp to manage all the users for the RBoy Intruder Detection?

Thanks,

-Allistah

Hey there. You can use both apps in tandem if you prefer the dashboard style view of STHM. The first post has instructions on how to set it up. This app builds on the security features of STHM and is highly configurable in terms of how you can arm / disarm, what sensors it can monitor and the actions it can take. it also has entry and exit delays with a spoken countdown if you have a compatible audio system. You can also install it multiple times to use it in different configurations, for example you can User it as a security monitoring system and also as a theft monitoring system for valuables or detecting it simmering is tampering with your devices.

Programming keypads is done using LUM.

2 Likes