[RELEASE] Neo Coolcam / MCO Z-Wave Light Switch

dth_lighting

(Anthony) #43

Hi All,

There seem to be a newer version of this product:
MCO Home MH-S314-EU
Do you know if it works too? Anyone had a chance to test it?

Regards,
Anthony

(Ben See) #44

@hongtat Could this work for NEO Z-wave light switch US 1/2 gang? Thanks in advance.

(HONGTAT TAN) #45

I think it may work, but I’m unable to test it.

(Ben See) #46

Thanks a lot !

(Victor) #47

I can confirm that this handler works with US version of the NEO Coolcam switch. I’m using a 1-gang.

Thank you hongtat!

(ABBAS) #48

HI, this DTH does,t working with 4 panel MCO switch , any one could help me please?

(HONGTAT TAN) #49

Have you installed and published the child device?

(ABBAS) #50

Yes, installed child device.

(Magnus Bergsson) #51

@dranizt could you lay out exactly your work around as I would very much like to do the same thing? Much appreciated.

(DanS) #52

Sure… Although all credit should be to HongTat… I’m gonna explain it as if you don’t understand coding at all, like myself, I hope you don’t mind… and I apologise in advance for a really long winded post.

So what HongTat told me to do was to make some tweaks to his device handler. I shall assume you have already downloaded and installed his device handler for MCO switches, found here:
[https://github.com/hongtat/AwfullySmart/blob/master/devicetypes/hongtat/zwave-light-switch-multichannel.src/zwave-light-switch-multichannel.groovy]

Step 1:
Go into the code of HongTat’s device handler via your Samsung / Smartthings account on https://graph.api.smartthings.com , and look for the section on:

// Multi-channel Association

This can be found about three-quarters of the way down in the code…

Step 2:
Then add double backslashes “//” in front of the next immediate six lines that begins with “cmds << new physicalgraph.device.HubAction”

You should immediately see those six lines change in colour from black to light brown the moment you add those double backslashes.

Step 3:
Then another few more lines down, look for a section that says:

// Single-channel Association

Step 4:
And find the next immediate six lines that begins with “new physicalgraph.device.HubAction” and also add double backslashes in front of each of those 6 lines.

Step 5:
Go all the way up near the top of the code, look for a section called “metadata” and “definition” and change the name to something you can recognise that is distinct from HongTat’s device handler. I simply added “MCO” to HongTat’s original name for the DTH.

Step 6:
Save the code, and publish it for yourself.

Step 7:
If you already have this awesome device handler called Z-wave Tweaker written by David Lomas saved in your list of device handlers, skip to the next step.
If you don’t, you may find it here:
[https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/blob/master/devices/zwave-tweaker/zwave-tweaker.groovy]

Copy and paste his code, and publish it for yourself.

Step 8:
Now access the details of your MCO Switch via “My Devices” at https://graph.api.smartthings.com (i.e., not via the SmartThings app on your phone), and change the device handler used by your MCO switch to the Z-Wave Tweaker. It is selected via a drop-down list under the label of “Type”.

Step 9:
While on this page, also take note of the “Device Network Id” of the two MCO Switches that you want to link together. Each of the switches will have a unique hexadecimal ID. eg “1A”, “02”, “3C” etc

Step 10:
Give a few moments for your SmartThings hub to update everything, then go access the details of your MCO Switch via your SmartThings app on your phone. Instead of an On / Off button beside your MCO Switch, it should now say “TWEAKER” in red.

Step 11:
Tap on the gear cog icon to access the settings of your MCO Lights.

Step 12:
Scroll down until you find a section titled “Association Group ID”

Step 13:
What you type in here depends on which version of the MCO Switch you have. Best thing to do is to refer to the manual that came with your switch. The older versions of the MCO Switch uses Groups 1 to 4 to control on / off switching. The newer versions reserve Group 1 for Lifeline (communication to the hub), and then Groups 2 to 5 for switching. You need to look at the manual, and find out which Group corresponds to “Basic Set Command”, and type that number in here. It should either be 1 or 2 for you here.

Step 14:
Then tap on the next section, titled “Association Group Members”, and key in the Device Network Id of the other MCO Switch that you noted on Step 9.

Step 15:
Tap on Save (right at the top)

Step 16:
Now test! Turning on (by manual pressing of the button) one of the MCO Switches should now be able to turn on (and also off) the other MCO Switch, and the response should be almost instantaneous. But the reverse won’t happen.

Step 17:
Now you have to repeat Steps 8 to 16 for the other MCO Switch, and voila, you should have two switches that mirror each other.

Step 18:
After you have confirmed and tested that both MCO Switches are paired together, you just have to change the device handler to the new modified HongTat’s device handler you created in Steps 1 to 6. Then everything should work fine after that.

PS: Keep in mind that association commands no longer route through the hub, that means your two MCO Switches need to be in wireless communicating range of each other for this to work - you can no longer piggyback on the ZWave mesh to help relay commands. One problem I faced is that my switches are recessed into the wall, with STEEL metal backboxes. Those darn things do an exceptional job of blocking my two switches of wirelessly connecting with each other. The solution is to replace those backboxes with the recessed PVC type.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you!

(vijaye) #53

hi, so im looking at using these in the UK but wanted to know if it would work for one of my scenerio where i have a 2 gang at the bottom of the stairs which controls downstairs light and the upstairs light and at the top of the stairs a single gang to control upstairs light.

(Ben Erkens ) #54

@dranizt wrote in previous msg that it can’t be done with the 1-gang switch.

To prevent a problem, buy 2 of the 2-gang switches and use at the top of the stair 1 of the 2 “gang”.

The Neo CoolCam look nice in a dark staircase, easy to find with the illuminated buttons.

Grtn Ben

(HONGTAT TAN) #55

You can use Smart Lighting to mirror the downstairs & upstairs light.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the work and @hongtat for developing this DHT.

As I was reading through, I could not understand is the multiway association working only with the MCO switches?

I have 2 2gan EU Neo Coolcam switches and want to use them in multi-way. I have set them up using the Neo Coolcam Light Switch and Child DHTs.