[RELEASE] Generic Video Camera DeviceType, Yes, Live Video Streaming

Patrick, is this using the multiAttributeTile videoPlayer and capability “Video Camera”?

Well I’ve got my Foscam live streaming working with this on the v1 hub, just FYI.

2 Likes

Yes it does, I have it working for my internal DCS-942L (video/audio), DCS-5020L (video only) and DCS-5222L (video/audio) DeviceTypes. I’ve agreed with @pstuart not to release them until we get the OK from SmartThings, I definitely don’t want to be part of the reason for more server issues.

2 Likes

:)) I get that. Tagging @slagle and @jody.albritton to jump in with their views.

2 Likes

Why the limitation Patrick? I can see it work with my external ip/hostname also. Just use the hostname directly with the appropriate port and make sure it’s forwarded at your router.

1 Like

If you port forward you are exposing your camera and your entire network. I can not recommend this at all for the obvious security issues. Use a vpn.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but most of us have this port forwarded so we can view our cameras from the native app anyway from any location. Are you saying that you use a VPN to view your cameras remotely also within the native Hikvision app? I have a Swann DVR, but use the Hikvision app since they manufacturer Swann’s cameras and their app is Superior to Swanns and I have port 8000 and 443 (web console) exposed to the Internet so I can access my camera system through the browser and native app. Understood about the vulnerabilities out there with some of these DVR models though.

1 Like

Yes. I never port forward. The exploits that are in those camera and nvr firmwares not only can be compromised but can then be gateways into your network or used for other purposes.

I use a vpn to connect to my house and then access my cameras that way.

I would never recommend port forwarding or even using upnp to access your network externally.

Anyone who does recommend it, simply doesn’t understand security. Installing a vpn and using it isn’t easy but it will be far more secure.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with you on the fact that these devices have vulnerabilities and present a fair amount of risks and utilizing a VPN is a much more secure method. However, I am a security professional and do understand security. I perfectly understand the risks I am taking and have decided to accept those risks. Everybody has different risk tolerances and just because you chose a less secure route, that doesn’t mean you do not understand security.

1 Like

Fair enough but I would never recommend or instruct someone to do so. I would never want that liability.

2 Likes

Agreed and it’s good you are pointing this out to everyone so they can decide for themselves. One of these days I have to configure my Asus wireless access point as a VPN device. Right now it’s not my router, so it’s a little tricky.

So, good news, just tested this with a hub v1 test account. It works.

This doesn’t use hub v2s video features, just streaming from camera to mobile app, and is so simple it should have been this way from the beginning.

A few more tests and polish this up and I’ll release it.

7 Likes

Cant wait, I have 4 rstp cameras I’ve had for a while - love to be able to use them as part of ST.

At the moment I am using a trail BlueIris to push them to SmartTiles and thats not always the best.

Will your code allow you to send push notifications which include an image in SHM?

This will be view only. No recording. . Since image capture is so broken, not going to combine the two.

Why do you say it’s broken?

Image size limits, corrupt images, no ability to manage image storage, insecure storage of images when it works, no ability to delete images, the whole DNI issue, just to name a few.

I’ve always just wanted to be able to pull up a camera and watch the video feed. Do it quickly and painlessly. This will serve that purpose. I don’t need complex features, just live streaming.

5 Likes

Makes sense

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, do you think this will be faster than pulling up the native Hikvision app for you? Or do you envision doing this from wall mounted tablets and that is the beneft?

This use case is already well-handled by SmartTiles if your camera can produce an MJPEG stream. If it can’t, VLC can convert it for you.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately my cameras only support RTSP. I have no desire to run computers to host software, so this option sounds promising, although I am not sure I even have a use case for having my streaming cameras in ST :slight_smile: