[RELEASE] Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Flood and Freeze Sensor

This Device Handler is for the Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Flood and Freeze Sensor (FLF-ZWAVE5).

This device handler supports the Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus devices. Support has also been added for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification. Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup. It reports the freeze warning as a temperature (0C / 32F) so that is is compatible with other SmartApps for temperature based actions.

File_002 File_003

Classic App

The Ecolink Flood and Freeze Sensor is available from Amazon here for about $32

This device handler supports the following features:

1. Reporting the following sensors
    • Flood (wet/dry)
    • Freeze
    • Freeze (0C / 32F), Normal (23C / 74F) reported in hub temperature scale
    • Battery
    • Tamper
  2. Custom UI for new ST app and Classic app
  3. Support for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification

Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup.

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.

NOTE
The device does not report temperature, it only reports freeze or normal events. The device handler reports the freeze warning as a 0C /32F and normal as 23C / 74F (automatically determines the temperature scale) for ease of use with SmartThings and SmartApps.

INCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: It is recommended to install the Device Handler BEFORE paring the device for easier setup.

1. Bring device within 5 of hub
  2. Remove the battery from the sensor
  3. To pair the device, Select Add New Device from the MarketPlace on your ST phone app
  4. Insert the battery into the sensor. The sensor automatically enters inclusion/exclusion mode when powered on (when battery is added). The LED should start blinking slowly.
  5. It should complete pairing within 30 seconds
  6. If the LED starts blinking continuously, the sensor has failed inclusion, check distance from the hub. Remove the battery for 10 seconds and start over.
  7. If the device doesn’t pair successfully (LED is not blinking slowly), try to exclude it first before trying to pair it (see below)

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: If you deleted the device without excluding it won’t pair up again until you exclude it.

1. Set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE → My Hub → View Utilities → Z-Wave Exclude.
  2. Bring device within 5 ft of hub
  3. Remove the battery from the sensor
  4. Put hub into exclusion mode
  5. Insert the battery into the sensor. The sensor automatically enters inclusion/exclusion mode when powered on (when battery is added).
  6. The device should exclude itself from the network

LED Status
The state of the LED will change based on the state of the sensor:

• Device not included = Light breathing (slow blink)
  • Flood Detected = Single LED blink
  • Freeze Detected = Single LED blink
  • Tamper/Case Opened = LED will remain on while case open

FACTORY RESET: The Flood Freeze sensor factory defaults on network exclusion

Check out these other SmartApps

[RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

This device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server. Refer to our website or facebook page below to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

3 Likes

So, If I set the temperature to 32 degrees like I did here:

I should get a notification?

1 Like

That’s correct, assuming you’re on F, if you’re on C, set it to 0 (freezing temp of water).

1 Like

You may want to verify how your SmartApp works. Will it notify when the temperature goes below 32F or at 32F? Since the device handler will only report 32F at freezing, it may be safer to configure the app at 33F

I’ll test it when I have physical access to the device. I’ll set one at 35 degrees and one at 32 for now. That should cover all the bases until I have had a chance to test it.

2 Likes

Hey @RBoy,

Thanks for the continual integration of new, cool, Device Handlers and SmartApps! Quick question on the below:

Just trying to fully understand this… Not sure what you mean when you say: ?

Also, and as an FYI, the Amazon website says the freeze sensor triggers at 41DegF. If that is indeed the case, I think the better way to set this up is to make the freeze warning send a 41deg temp back to the hub. Thoughts?

There is no specific capability for “freeze” in SmartThings so the handle has been adapted to report freezing temperature when the device sends a freeze event. Freezing temperature or water is 0C or 32F. The handler will automatically determine which temperature scale your hub is using and report the value accordingly. This number is easier for folks to remember than using the 41F provided by the documentation hence it is being used. The idea is to report the freeze event in a way that SmartApps can use it.

1 Like

@RBoy is this a paid device handler? Or free

Ran into an issue last night.
I changed the name of the device in the device info.
It immediately reported from freeze to normal (it’s in my chest freezer) after I hit save.
It would not return to freeze after 30 minutes.
I had to pull it out of freezer. Let it thaw. 5 minutes. Then put it back in freezer and in 5 minutes it triggered freezing again.

I ASSUME this is bc for the st readout change it would need to trigger, send a message, and then it would update.
Is there a way you can set the default status from freezing or normal in your handler and we can then select which state we will be using it in so that we don’t have to to this dance?
I have not look at the code you wrote so I don’t know what you have going.
I do believe the status change send signal is a hardware limition but it can be modeled around with your code.

Any help?

1 Like

You’re correct, when the device preferences are update (which includes the name) the DTH was resetting the temperature and freeze sensor values (to mimic a new install).

Patched it up, in version 01.00.01 it won’t reset the values if it’s already initialized. Now you can change your settings/name etc and it will maintain the current state.

EDIT: BTW neat way to use it. Sounds like you’re using it to check if the freezer thaws out indicating a power failure or potential damage to the stuff in the environment.

Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Flood and Freeze Sensor - v01.00.01

• Don’t reset temperature and freeze sensor values when the device settings are updated

Great service. Small but meaningful. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. I tested it to make sure it would transmit through my freezers. And seemed to be good like other said.
I have half a cow and more in one freezer and an additional freezer. 30 bucks warning in failure of tempature is more than worth the price to me. I already have a energy monitor but that’s not the real symptom I want to monitor. Temp is.

1 Like

Is there any way to modify the device handler to report the actual temp as well as a freeze event or unfreeze event?

I can’t believe that there is literally no device out there that has a remote temp sensor to report the temp inside a fridge or freezer. This is sooo close.

The device doesn’t report temperature so there’s no way to show the actual temp, it only reports when it’s freezing or not (see first post)
Close like you said but we’ve used other temperature sensors in the freezer with reasonable success like this one, with the added advantage of the motion sensor if positioned properly. Keep in mind it’s not “designed” for a freezer but in our tests it did work with 9/10 devices (one of them showed a totally incorrect figure). [RELEASE] Official Monoprice Motion Sensor with Temperature, Tamper and Battery Device Handler

Do you think the code could me modified to alert me if the temp goes above 40 and below 32?

It already does as explained in the first post, it reports 2 temperatures based on the device state:

When it’s freezing it reports 32F otherwise it reports 74F. So you can create a simple automation rule to notify you if the temperature is above 32F (normal) or when it 32F (freezing).

Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Flood and Freeze Sensor - v01.00.04

• Added support for device health reporting

At first had trouble pairing this device, but after excluding and tapping the tamper a couple of times it included/paired. note that it did not self include when installing the battery.

Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Flood and Freeze Sensor - v02.00.00

• Support for new ST app and new platform capabilities
  • Report freezing to new platform automation tool

File_002 File_003