Recommendation for contact sensors, in bulk?

I’m not sure if it’s me or my system, but I opened 6 of the 30 contact sensors and tried to add them. I’ve only gotten 2 to pair so far. I’m sitting 12 feet from the hub. I didn’t have this problem with the half dozen I paired 3 weeks ago (they were all retail packaged I bought long ago). I’ve even tried a reset as per https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/217199866-Iris-Contact-Sensor

It may be that you’ve reached a limit with regards to a repeater. While you can have thousands of Zigbee devices, you also must have a mesh with enough repeaters to handle all those devices.

There’s a discussion around here somewhere that specifies how many battery powered devices can join directly to the hub, as well as repeaters, before you need to start adding more repeaters to your mesh.

If you don’t have any repeaters, that may be your issue. If you have repeaters, attempt the join process really close to that repeater device.

3 Likes

Ah! I had moved my Zigbee repeaters around to get better coverage on the upstairs, and ended up with none here in the basement.

1 Like

These motion sensors are the best. I bought 20 of them fo $10 each when Lowes discontinued them. I have aqara, smart things v2 and v3 motion sensors and Iris motion sensors. I am replacing all non Iris motion sensors with Iris 3326-l.

I haven’t used these door/window sensors before. I am replacing all my aquara window sensors with these. From what I have read, these work with ST. Till now I have replaced around 12 of them and all of them paired successfully.

You just cannot beat the price, these are all brand new. I am going to buy 10 more of the motion sensors just in case I ever need more.

2 Likes

I bought a whole bunch of GE Zigbee switches/dimmers for $17/$19 respectively from Lowes when they were discontinued and spread them across all floors to have a strong Zigbee mesh. My plan at that time was to see if they would work with all my aqara sensors and keep them connected, which they didn’t. Now they are coming really handy.

1 Like

I’m thinking of ordering the motion sensors. Anyone else order some? If so, did you have any issues?

These do work with ST right?

They sure do.If you read the posts in this discussion, as well as many others in the community, I believe you’ll see people are very happy with the Iris sensors.

Appreciate the confirmation! My question regarding with their experience with these sensors is just to confirm that from this particular seller that they work. It seems there may have been an issue with some sensors not working in each batch so I wanted to see if others had similar experiences

1 Like

FWIW, I had a few 2 that were DOA when buying straight from Lowes. Test all the devices when you get them. And as @johnconstantelo reminded me up above, make sure you Zigbee mesh is up to task of adding on many devices. I had to move around Zigbee repeaters to even out my coverage. The Iris 3210-L2 Smart Plug ($15 link above) is a Zigbee repeater (it is also a Zwave repeater, but lots of people have problems with it’s Zwave reliability).

(any other recommendations for good powered Zigbee devices to act as repeaters?)

Ikea plugs are my go to.

The Tradfri?

1 Like

I have the SmartThings hub in the middle of my ~900 sqft apartment. Is there a limit of how many Zigbee devices can connect to the hub? Would I need a repeater to even out the coverage if they’re all somewhat near the hub?

Yes sir! 10 bucks is a great deal for such a solid repeater.

1 Like

From the links above, the v2 hub can handle 32 directly connection Zigbee devices. The v3 apparently can do 64. Max range for Zigbee is something on the order of 40’. So depending upon your hub and the number of Zigbee devices, you are probably fine. I have a 3200 sq.ft. house on 3 floors, so my situation is a little more complicated.

2 Likes

Any idea how many devices it can repeat for? E.g., from this investigation, the Iris can do 13.

I currently have one with 5 devices routing through it but have definitely seen more in the past. Probably upwards of 10. I have a ton of routing devices, and just added a new device a few days ago, so my mesh is still in the process of figuring itself out. They also work really well for the cheap aqara sleepy end sensors.

Mine generally connects 5. I have a few of the Tradfri plugs.

How are you guys figuring out which devices are routing through the mesh? I’d be really interested to see how my network is running.

Login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com/ and go to your devices. When you select a zigbee or zwave device, you can see the route it takes.

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like