Raspberry Pico W as SmartThings Device?

Dear community,
My basic thought was to connect my Raspberry Pico W as additional device to my SmartThings environment. Currently I use Micropython to develop on my Raspberry Pico.
The price of the pico would be perfect to develop easy functionalities like temperature messure and simmilar but I didn’t find any library and examples to do this.

To be honest I am a beginner, so a simple tuturial would be helpfull to understand how such an integration can work.

Would be great if you could help me here with links, ideas.

Regards

At this point, the easiest integration would probably be via MQTT. But there are other options depending on exactly what you want to do.

Why don’t you take a look at the options listed under “edge services“ on the quick browse list in the community - created wiki. Those should give you some ideas.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

In particular, the following is specific to connecting a raspberry pi, but you need to do your own coding on the pi side. The MQTT path would be more structured, and so might be a little easier if you haven’t done that kind of coding before. (You’re also more likely to find “simple tutorials” for an MQTT approach.) :thinking:

But if you just want to write your own code from scratch on the raspberry pi, the following should be of help when it comes to bringing it into smartthings.

Announcing beta for enabling raspberry pi direct-connected devices

Thanks for the quick answer. I will check it tomorrow but just to clearify … I am taking about the Pico (Microcontroller with Micropython).

Absolution could be to build an hub with my Raspberry Pi 4b (however) but if I could use only the PicoW it would be perfect.

1 Like

My bad—I misheard the question. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I’m not familiar with that specific device. I don’t know if you’ll be able to use it as a “direct connected“ Wi-Fi device or not, so hopefully others will know more.

The basic idea for a first try:
Create a temperature messure device with the Raspberry Pico W and use the information to control my Samsung air condition (instead of the internal temp sensor).

1 Like

I think @JDRoberts 's suggestion to use MQTT is a good one, although you could just use the tutorials edge LAN driver. They have an example of using an ESP device,

I have actually implemented and Oven Sensor with an ESP8266 and MQTT (albeit my own MQTT approach) and it works nicely. I think it would be simple to use a PicoW instead.

BTW you should check out ESP8266s and ESP32s just as cheap/cheaper that the Picos and more available.

1 Like