Propane Tank Monitoring - 500 gallon

@jking3 we don have anything to share just yet, but we’re close. We have smartthings integration on the roadmap for late August.

1 Like

It’s late August :slight_smile:

Ah, but no year was specified…:wink:

1 Like

@JDRoberts thanks for that excuse! :wink:

@viguera We have posted our API documentation and have been hoping we could get some help from the community on the last mile of making this a seamless integration for ST users.

http://apidocs.tankutility.com/

Help is more than appreciated! (It might even be worth some severely discounted or free hardware). Since we are a startup we do occasionally rearrange priorities. We’ve been recently focusing on control 4 and crestron integrations for some bulk customers. But ST is still high on the list and the month isn’t over yet! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of moving right now but I’m going from fuel oil to fuel oil… my hope is that once I get settled (moving date is 9/4) I will have time to burn, but I’m really looking forward to this.

Thanks

I have been using Tank Utility for a few months. It’s going back for a refund. It’s NOT ready for prime time. Keeps failing for various reasons. I have emailed the company…lets see how responsive they are.

I’m curious how they ended up solving the battery problem they had early on. Are they still using WiFi? How long did your battery last?

HI, New to this site, so please excuse my newbiness. I have a TankUtility unit on my 500 gallon propane tank. Which is 700 miles from my home. This item works awesome. I sleep better at night knowing my cabin in the mountains won’t run out of fuel. I suggest you contact TankUtility at www.tankutility.com they will guide you through the process. It’s simple & easy to install & setup. My unit has been in service since 1/12/2016.

1 Like

Hi all. Just came across this conversation. My company sells monitors that work with propane, fuel oil, diesel, etc. It is satellite based and works pretty much everywhere. It is very user friendly and easy to install. If there is anything I can help with feel free to reach out to me at bhumphrey@nascorp-skytracker.com.

Too bad you had to go through all this. TankUtility already has a unit out that could have worked for you :slight_smile:

Has anyone run with this? I contacted TankUtility but they never did the intergration. I’m not a programmer really so I doubt I could make it work but I may have to.

I’ve got a prototype of this working. I’ll add more soon, but this gets you the temperature and tank level: https://github.com/bowood/TankUtility

1 Like

Anyone using this monitor. I’m not finding reviews at all. Is there another unit people are using with ST

I’m still waiting on the fuel oil version, but there are apparently quite a few more options than when this thread started, so I might need to get interested in this again at some point… :slight_smile:

Looks like units will be shipping around the 6th. Would be nice to get working with smart things

Yes. I use the Tank utility device. Hence the integration contribution. It works well. Glad to know how my propane tank is doing. It just reads the tank guage with a Hall effect sensor.

My friend is using the first generation of TankUtility swears by it. I run off propane and have run out a few times when inclement weather threw off my company’s predictive algorithm (and I was too lazy to go out and check). So will be investing in one (it looks like the next generation will be shipping in early November).

SmartThings integration would be useful, but probably not necessary (apparently the app will alert you when certain levels are hit). SmartThings integration may give me a few other notification options.

@bowood I missed that message with your contribution! Glad to see it and THANK YOU!

any special instructions to install app to my smartthings @bowood put together

Looks like you just need to get your ID and token from them and pop them into the app and you’re good to go.

Not sure how all this works but even with https can’t we get some json love or some other method that doesn’t involve putting the whole thing in the query string? That seems wrong somehow… :grinning: