Prometheus smartthings_exporter

Wanted to let everyone know that I forked some code for an exporter from Marco Paganini and created a standard style Prometheus exporter for smartthings: https://github.com/kadaan/smartthings_exporter

Using this, I can get tons of metrics into Prometheus and the visualize them with Grafana.

6 Likes

@jbaranick Would love to use it, but I’m running into an issue where I’m getting a 401 with an invalid client error and then on retry, getting smartthings_exporter: error: invalid oauth state.

@aaronsachs I’m sure you did, but to verify, you followed the steps here (https://github.com/kadaan/smartthings_exporter#smartthings_exporter-configuration) right?

Yup, I went through the process laid out in the README. Did some more digging and it looks like tracking down the endpoint.groovy file is what got me. Copied from a past commit instead of master. Apologies for the pebkac

@jbaranick out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to add humidity as a value gathered in the exporter? I’m a bit of a golang noob, but willing to give it a whack.

@aaronsachs It shouldn’t be hard. You need to add a metric definition here.. The smartapp can already expose humidity information.

@jbaranick I’ve opened a PR to add humidity as a metric and have it working on a local release.

I just found your thread, and wanted to give this a try to pull in some temperature and humidity stats from smartthings. I have authorized my thermostats, humidity, and temperature devices from the localhost:4567, and then opened the smartapp and saw they were checked there already as well.

When I point prometheus at it, I see lots of go_ stats, some proccess stuff, and the only the following smartthings.
smartthings_exporter_build_info{branch="",goversion=“go1.14.4”,revision="",version=""} 1
smartthings_invalid_metric 0

I am not seeing any other sensors, even though they show up in the app and are authorized as sensors. Am I missing something about how to poll these?

1 Like

Look at this. It is definitely working and not so complicated to set up, especially if you have grafana.

I’ll add some logging to help, but I can’t do it til at least Thursday, as the busy part of my farms weeks is just starting.

InfluxDB is working for everything I need. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Joel,

I wonder if you would be interested in being very liberal in giving maintainer access to other contributors? This way you don’t need to stay totally on top of it, the other people in the community can help, and we avoid more forks of the project.

Just curious if you’re interested in that, no pressure! Thank you for what you’ve built already.

Graham

Hey Graham,

I’m not opposed, but haven’t really had time to think about it, the farming season is in full swing. For now I’ve merged all the open PRs.

Im having the same problem. the export compiles just fine, I am able to get my token and start up the exporter but there are NO metrics for my various smartthings devices.

I’ve updated the executable and accompanying smartapp. It should be easier to get setup and there are better install instructions. In the new version, the smartapp exposes the metrics as json and the executable simply takes that information and allows Prometheus to scrape it. If you want to add additional metrics you just modify the smartapp and return the new metrics in the json. Additionally, scraping is much faster.

Hey there! I know I’m resurrecting an old thread, but I’ve noticed that recently I’m not able to perform an OAuth authorization with the exporter (I’m using v 0.0.5). I keep seeing this:

I’ve tried reaching out to Smartthings support, but they’re…not helpful when it comes to trying to narrow down what’s happening. Is anyone else able to get the exporter working?

@jbaranick So after trying to narrow down why this suddenly stopped working, it seems that adding any sort of Zwave smoke/CO2 devices causes the errors I’ve seen ^. I’ll take a stab at adding them here soon to see if that addresses the issue.

Huh…I thought I had it working again, but it looks like it’s not even snagging any device info after auth’ing:

Prometheus metrics
# HELP go_gc_duration_seconds A summary of the pause duration of garbage collection cycles.
# TYPE go_gc_duration_seconds summary
go_gc_duration_seconds{quantile="0"} 4.0541e-05
go_gc_duration_seconds{quantile="0.25"} 7.3767e-05
go_gc_duration_seconds{quantile="0.5"} 0.000111843
go_gc_duration_seconds{quantile="0.75"} 0.000130754
go_gc_duration_seconds{quantile="1"} 0.0002245
go_gc_duration_seconds_sum 0.002753796
go_gc_duration_seconds_count 26
# HELP go_goroutines Number of goroutines that currently exist.
# TYPE go_goroutines gauge
go_goroutines 19
# HELP go_info Information about the Go environment.
# TYPE go_info gauge
go_info{version="go1.15"} 1
# HELP go_memstats_alloc_bytes Number of bytes allocated and still in use.
# TYPE go_memstats_alloc_bytes gauge
go_memstats_alloc_bytes 3.907912e+06
# HELP go_memstats_alloc_bytes_total Total number of bytes allocated, even if freed.
# TYPE go_memstats_alloc_bytes_total counter
go_memstats_alloc_bytes_total 3.7378296e+07
# HELP go_memstats_buck_hash_sys_bytes Number of bytes used by the profiling bucket hash table.
# TYPE go_memstats_buck_hash_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_buck_hash_sys_bytes 1.453775e+06
# HELP go_memstats_frees_total Total number of frees.
# TYPE go_memstats_frees_total counter
go_memstats_frees_total 315054
# HELP go_memstats_gc_cpu_fraction The fraction of this program's available CPU time used by the GC since the program started.
# TYPE go_memstats_gc_cpu_fraction gauge
go_memstats_gc_cpu_fraction 4.1536585891417105e-06
# HELP go_memstats_gc_sys_bytes Number of bytes used for garbage collection system metadata.
# TYPE go_memstats_gc_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_gc_sys_bytes 5.15996e+06
# HELP go_memstats_heap_alloc_bytes Number of heap bytes allocated and still in use.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_alloc_bytes gauge
go_memstats_heap_alloc_bytes 3.907912e+06
# HELP go_memstats_heap_idle_bytes Number of heap bytes waiting to be used.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_idle_bytes gauge
go_memstats_heap_idle_bytes 6.1169664e+07
# HELP go_memstats_heap_inuse_bytes Number of heap bytes that are in use.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_inuse_bytes gauge
go_memstats_heap_inuse_bytes 5.44768e+06
# HELP go_memstats_heap_objects Number of allocated objects.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_objects gauge
go_memstats_heap_objects 14485
# HELP go_memstats_heap_released_bytes Number of heap bytes released to OS.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_released_bytes gauge
go_memstats_heap_released_bytes 6.0760064e+07
# HELP go_memstats_heap_sys_bytes Number of heap bytes obtained from system.
# TYPE go_memstats_heap_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_heap_sys_bytes 6.6617344e+07
# HELP go_memstats_last_gc_time_seconds Number of seconds since 1970 of last garbage collection.
# TYPE go_memstats_last_gc_time_seconds gauge
go_memstats_last_gc_time_seconds 1.6529721581640055e+09
# HELP go_memstats_lookups_total Total number of pointer lookups.
# TYPE go_memstats_lookups_total counter
go_memstats_lookups_total 0
# HELP go_memstats_mallocs_total Total number of mallocs.
# TYPE go_memstats_mallocs_total counter
go_memstats_mallocs_total 329539
# HELP go_memstats_mcache_inuse_bytes Number of bytes in use by mcache structures.
# TYPE go_memstats_mcache_inuse_bytes gauge
go_memstats_mcache_inuse_bytes 3472
# HELP go_memstats_mcache_sys_bytes Number of bytes used for mcache structures obtained from system.
# TYPE go_memstats_mcache_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_mcache_sys_bytes 16384
# HELP go_memstats_mspan_inuse_bytes Number of bytes in use by mspan structures.
# TYPE go_memstats_mspan_inuse_bytes gauge
go_memstats_mspan_inuse_bytes 70448
# HELP go_memstats_mspan_sys_bytes Number of bytes used for mspan structures obtained from system.
# TYPE go_memstats_mspan_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_mspan_sys_bytes 98304
# HELP go_memstats_next_gc_bytes Number of heap bytes when next garbage collection will take place.
# TYPE go_memstats_next_gc_bytes gauge
go_memstats_next_gc_bytes 5.922528e+06
# HELP go_memstats_other_sys_bytes Number of bytes used for other system allocations.
# TYPE go_memstats_other_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_other_sys_bytes 432409
# HELP go_memstats_stack_inuse_bytes Number of bytes in use by the stack allocator.
# TYPE go_memstats_stack_inuse_bytes gauge
go_memstats_stack_inuse_bytes 491520
# HELP go_memstats_stack_sys_bytes Number of bytes obtained from system for stack allocator.
# TYPE go_memstats_stack_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_stack_sys_bytes 491520
# HELP go_memstats_sys_bytes Number of bytes obtained from system.
# TYPE go_memstats_sys_bytes gauge
go_memstats_sys_bytes 7.4269696e+07
# HELP go_threads Number of OS threads created.
# TYPE go_threads gauge
go_threads 5
# HELP process_cpu_seconds_total Total user and system CPU time spent in seconds.
# TYPE process_cpu_seconds_total counter
process_cpu_seconds_total 0.52
# HELP process_max_fds Maximum number of open file descriptors.
# TYPE process_max_fds gauge
process_max_fds 65535
# HELP process_open_fds Number of open file descriptors.
# TYPE process_open_fds gauge
process_open_fds 13
# HELP process_resident_memory_bytes Resident memory size in bytes.
# TYPE process_resident_memory_bytes gauge
process_resident_memory_bytes 1.861632e+07
# HELP process_start_time_seconds Start time of the process since unix epoch in seconds.
# TYPE process_start_time_seconds gauge
process_start_time_seconds 1.65296937376e+09
# HELP process_virtual_memory_bytes Virtual memory size in bytes.
# TYPE process_virtual_memory_bytes gauge
process_virtual_memory_bytes 7.31549696e+08
# HELP process_virtual_memory_max_bytes Maximum amount of virtual memory available in bytes.
# TYPE process_virtual_memory_max_bytes gauge
process_virtual_memory_max_bytes -1
# HELP promhttp_metric_handler_requests_in_flight Current number of scrapes being served.
# TYPE promhttp_metric_handler_requests_in_flight gauge
promhttp_metric_handler_requests_in_flight 2
# HELP promhttp_metric_handler_requests_total Total number of scrapes by HTTP status code.
# TYPE promhttp_metric_handler_requests_total counter
promhttp_metric_handler_requests_total{code="200"} 200
promhttp_metric_handler_requests_total{code="500"} 0
promhttp_metric_handler_requests_total{code="503"} 0
# HELP smartthings_exporter_build_info A metric with a constant '1' value labeled by version, revision, branch, and goversion from which smartthings_exporter was built.
# TYPE smartthings_exporter_build_info gauge
smartthings_exporter_build_info{branch="",goversion="go1.15",revision="",version=""} 1

Kind of a bummer. Even w/ debug logging set, I can’t get any sort of additional info from the exporter to see what the problem is at this point :confused:

As far as I can tell, it’s auth’d and should be working:

May 19 13:46:09 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2453857]: time="2022-05-19T13:46:09Z" level=info msg="Starting smartthings_exporter (version=, branch=, revision=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:180"
May 19 13:46:09 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2453857]: time="2022-05-19T13:46:09Z" level=info msg="Build context (go=go1.15, user=, date=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:181"
May 19 13:46:11 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2453857]: time="2022-05-19T13:46:11Z" level=info msg="Listening on :9499" source="smartthings_exporter.go:214"
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopping The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service....
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: smartthings-exporter.service: Succeeded.
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopped The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Started The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2456758]: time="2022-05-19T14:06:17Z" level=info msg="Starting smartthings_exporter (version=, branch=, revision=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:180"
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2456758]: time="2022-05-19T14:06:17Z" level=info msg="Build context (go=go1.15, user=, date=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:181"
May 19 14:06:17 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2456758]: time="2022-05-19T14:06:17Z" level=info msg="Listening on :9499" source="smartthings_exporter.go:214"
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopping The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service....
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: smartthings-exporter.service: Succeeded.
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopped The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Started The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457152]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:19Z" level=info msg="Starting smartthings_exporter (version=, branch=, revision=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:180"
May 19 14:09:19 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457152]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:19Z" level=info msg="Build context (go=go1.15, user=, date=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:181"
May 19 14:09:20 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457152]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:20Z" level=info msg="Listening on :9499" source="smartthings_exporter.go:214"
May 19 14:09:32 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: smartthings-exporter.service: Current command vanished from the unit file, execution of the command list won't be resumed.
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopping The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service....
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: smartthings-exporter.service: Succeeded.
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Stopped The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net systemd[1]: Started The Smartthings Prometheus exporter service..
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457233]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:33Z" level=info msg="Starting smartthings_exporter (version=, branch=, revision=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:180"
May 19 14:09:33 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457233]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:33Z" level=info msg="Build context (go=go1.15, user=, date=)" source="smartthings_exporter.go:181"
May 19 14:09:34 metrics.sachshaus.net smartthings_exporter[2457233]: time="2022-05-19T14:09:34Z" level=info msg="Listening on :9499" source="smartthings_exporter.go:214"

I’m happy to move this to another thread, but as it stands, the Github repo is locked down and I’m not sure of where else to ask for help in terms of narrowing down the issue with the exporter.

Edit

Looks like an issue with the Groovy app itself:

1 Like