Professional office set up

I just saw my first “smart home” using the SmartThings technology. I am in the planning stages of remodeling a building for a new dental practice. My current SmartThings vision includes: lighting, thermostat, doors, windows, and security cameras. Has anyone out there done a dental office? What suggestions do you have?

I also want to include a sound system for music and a theater system for training.

Don’t use SmartThings, reliability and all that. This is where Insteon or Control4 might be more reliable. I used to do computer stuff for dentists, not always the most patient lot.

I would never use ST for a professional setting. Which I hate saying, but it is what it is.

3 Likes

Have you been using SmartThings in your home already, so that you are familiar with the reliability issues?

At the present time, I wouldn’t use it for any business. The company is very aware of the issues and is committed to improving them, but they’re just not there yet.

When SmartThings works as intended, it is absolutely my favorite home automation system. But since I have to pay other people to do the maintenance on it (I’m quadriparetic with limited hand function), I’m very aware of how often something that was working on Monday stops working on Tuesday even though I myself hadn’t made any changes.

A business is in a similar position in the sense that employees who have to spend time tweaking the system are taking time away from the work they’re being paid to do.

For example, the following from this month. In all cases, multiple people are reporting the same problem, even though it doesn’t necessarily affect all accounts.

And this, from the company CEO a few months ago:

I do believe that they are making improved stability their top priority. They also recently hired a new head of engineering who had previously been in a senior position at Amazon, which I consider a very good sign. But in my opinion, they’re just not there yet.

FWIW

4 Likes