Scheduled jobs failing (again) (again šŸ˜„) (Ongoing Known Issue)

From where I sit, things didnā€™t ā€œjust break.ā€ I have the sense scheduled stuff began failing more frequently over the last week or two and this is on my two geographically diverse hubs. These are the same issues Iā€™ve had for many months: a twice-per-day fan automation at my second home and smart lighting automatons here at the primary residence both randomly failing. Support and @Aaron have looked at them on numerous occasions, with no definitive improvement. Gotta give them both kudos for corresponding with me and I hope I was able to contribute something meaningful to their troubleshooting effortsā€¦

@vlad kindly chimed in, above, and his response serves to calm some of us ā€œpropeller headsā€ who try to guess what is going on. Thanks, Vlad. The information you shared is appreciated.

As one of those old Grey Beards who deployed a lot of embedded software over the years for a number of mission-critical applications, both military and commercial, I have only the following to offer:

1. There is a major problem in the ST architecture: cloud, primarily, but also the hub firmware. I am hopeful the reason weā€™re not seeing all kinds of whiz-bang features being added and support for every device yā€™all are clamoring for is that the bulk of the engineering team is feverishly working on ā€œfixingā€ the underpinnings of this product to bring about dependable, reliable operation. There were (probably) a bunch of very painful lessons learned about reliability, scalability, and defensive programming we will never hear of. There is nothing official Iā€™ve heard to support this, just my hunch.

2. There is a cultural shift going on at ST. Not unusual following an acquisition. New management, new & departing employees, and new objectives from the Mother Ship. The sudden absense of @alex from the forums and his promise of weekly reports has gone on so long that Iā€™m convinced he is ā€œon special assignmentā€ or ā€œspending more time with familyā€ or something like that. Samsung is probably just not ready to announce it yet.

3. This stuff is still cool. Iā€™m anxious to get on with further additions to my two locations! :grin:

5 Likes