Premium offering- video capture + Smart Home Monitor

So I just unplugged and restarted my Smartthings hub, looking to fix some unresponsive sensors (it worked). I got kind of cocky and decided that this was a good time to add my new Dlink DCS-5029L to my SHM set up, now that it seems to be over the problems that we were having last week.

Normal set up in configurations/ security/ capture video from these cameras until I see the page-
“This is a premium feature of Smart Home Monitor. Enjoy it FREE until April 2016!”

Crud, that’s next month! It looks like SHM will be talking to Dlink through IFTTT next month…

Is this new? Did I just miss the notification that the interaction between the V2 hub and video would turn into a revenue stream?

When SHM was released they said at first that premium feature would no longer be free after 12/2015.

1 Like

Live streaming is free. From the beginning they have said there would eventually be a fee for the clip service.

1 Like

They sent out an email on March 8th:

Later this month, you’ll receive an email asking you to re-enroll in the program, as it will be transitioning to a premium paid service.

As a thank you, we’d like to extend your free, all-inclusive Smart Home Monitor with Video Clips service for an extra 30 days after this transition. If you’d like to continue receiving uninterrupted service after that 30-day period, you’ll be eligible to upgrade your account for only $4.99/month.

Considering the on-going issues with SHM, I don’t know who in their right mind is going to pay the fee for this service. :confused:

1 Like

Keep an eye on it the next time ST pushes a software update to the hub. I have the same camera, and it seems it freezes up and becomes complete unresponsive each time after a hub update. I have a ticket opened with support just a few days ago when I was chatting with them about SHM issues.

Well… According to Piper’s blog, on 16% of burglars attempt to disable a security system (including cameras) that they become aware of during a robbery; so the value of cloud storage of your motion triggered video clips may not be as high as you think.

It’s all relative, I guess.

The same people who are paying for Scout :).

1 Like

Because of recent behind-the-scenes changes designed to enhance platform stability, we’ve decided to postpone Smart Home Monitor with Video Clips’ transition from a free service to premium one.

2 Likes