(Pre-Subcategory creation) Deals/Sales/Coupons/Pricing

I noticed that Home Depot now shoes that they don’t sell Ring in store. I know that I have seen them recently. Has anyone seen them on sale?

Just to be clear, it appears that it is 20% Back in Rakuten Super Points, not Off in $$:

Terms and Conditions
*This Rakuten Super Points™ promotion will begin on 3/8/2016 at 12:00AM PT and ends on 3/8/2016 at 11:59PM PT. 20% Back is awarded in the form of Rakuten Super Points™. Rakuten Super Points™ cannot be earned on any amount of the order redeemed with Rakuten Super Points™. This promotion requires customers to activate this offer by opting-in via promo code and complete the checkout process by 11:59PM PT on 3/8/2016. Rakuten Super Points™ are viewable at checkout. All Rakuten Super Points™ earned during this promotion will be available 1 day after shipment and will expire 15 days thereafter. For exact Rakuten Super Points™ expiration dates, please check your Rakuten.com Account. Rakuten.com will allow customers a maximum amount back of 20,000 Rakuten Super Points™ during this promotion per customer, per household; Rakuten.com reserves the right to void Rakuten Super Points™ on orders that do not follow these regulations. Bulk purchases made by resellers do not qualify. Rakuten Super Points™ are not cash or currency and cannot be transferred, credited to an account, redeemed for cash, or used for gift card purchases or redemptions. Rakuten Super Points™ may be applied to the amount of your order, not including taxes, shipping, coupon or gift card amounts. This promotion cannot be combined with any other cash back reward program or Rakuten Super Points™ promotion. Rakuten.com reserves the right to end this promotion at any time.

You will see a few posts back in the 1000+ in this thread of people finding in store clearance on Rings. $179 was the going clearance price if I remember correctly.

I was literally just at hd, ring did not have a yellow clearance sticker, but was priced @$179

Cool. I was hoping for another $99 sale. They only had nest cams and canary cams by the time I made it to Home Depot. All $99 each though.

That’s a very good price for that switch. And coopers are generally very well-made.

Now comes the question of accessory switches. Accessory switches, Are also called auxiliary switches or sometimes dummy switches. They are intended to be used in a three-way set up with a master switch of the same brand and model line. The accessories switch typically acts as a “remote” to the master switch – – it just tells the master to turn the power to the light fixture on or off.

Different companies use different technology for their accessory switches. GE, for example, does not put radios of any kind in their accessory switches. They use physical traveler wires to connect them to the master. The switches cannot be used without a master and will not be recognized by smartthings because they don’t have a radio.

The Coopers are very different. The auxiliary switch does have a radio. It is a certified Z wave device and does pair directly to SmartThings. Although you can actually use it with physical traveler wires (which allows it to work even if the home automation network is down), it is more typically used for a “virtual three-way” where it sends a signal to the hub and the hub send a signal to the master.

However, and this is the really important part, the 9542 Cooper auxiliary switch does not control a load to a light fixture. It’s not intended to. The expectation is still that the master will control the actual current load. So even though this is not a battery operated switch and it does get its power from the mains, you can’t use it to control a light fixture directly. You have to have a master to do that.

Now for the really fun part! There are people who use the 9542 by itself to control zigbee smart bulbs. Or anything else that doesn’t require actually controlling the current load. So you do see people buying them without buying a master. They can pair to SmartThings on their own, and they can be useful devices in a SmartThings set up. But they cannot control current load.

The following thread discusses how people use the 9542 with smart bulbs. :sunglasses: :bulb:

2 Likes

So, pretty much I would have to use 9540-N, right?

Lowes $20 rebates on all programmable thermostats from gas provider.

I have had a heck of a time figuring out which LED dimmer switch to buy that is z-wave compatible. In my case I just have a single LED lamp that I want to dim from the wall. I believe I need the 9540 Cooper but people keep mentioning the need for a neutral wire in reviews. I don’t think I need to bother with this as I just want to dim the load of that one LED bulb from both the switch and from my phone through smartthings. The Cooper seems to be rated higher than other dimmers when using LEDs so that is what I will go with.

Neutral wire is to provide constant power the switch, lot the load.

2 Likes

That would give you the most choices, it’s a master universal dimmer. :sunglasses:

I just clicked th elink for the Iris garage opener and my store has it for 19.98. I already have the GoControl Z-Wave Isolated Contact Fixture Module - FS20Z-1setup and working nicely. Is it worth the hassle of replacing it for the price?

Depends whether you want the safety features of a UL listed garage controller. Or Whether the garage is in a jurisdiction that requires one. Or whether your insurance cares.

Guess I will go get it anyway. I think I can still return the other item back to amazon.

What link?
I’d like to get one if they are that cheap.

The Lowe’s one for the iris garage opener

$20 if your in Festus MO. and if you are I’m sorry.

5 Likes

OMG!, I think I automated a little on that one lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh…sorry…somehow I thought there was a specific link.

Iris opener $40 at my local no shipping though