Pre-release of Fibaro Motion Sensor

@jonallsebrook - I’ve used the Fibaro outside and had to repurpose them indoors. They are terrible with false positives if there is any sort of sunlight… and even at night kept firing false positives for some reason.

Best sensor outdoor for me has been the Ecolink. Only problem is it is really ugly mounted outside.

None of the motion sensors have been without false/unwanted alarms for me even though I stay in a dead end relatively very quiet street. Even Fibaro’s manual warns you against these. May be with proper placement and tweaking the sensitivity, it may work. The one outdoors, I use it only for lux and temp and not motion.

I got this far successfully, but then decided to use the modified code by “the other ron”.

I deleted the device type and created a new one with fibaro.groovy code. Saved and Published (for me)

When I went to devices , I got this error:

Error
500: Internal Server Error
URI
/device/list
Reference Id
6eb298d0-2ebd-4c0e-9ec4-2a8d373e558d
Date
Mon Apr 06 03:51:22 UTC 2015
Class
java.lang.NullPointerException
Cannot get property ‘name’ on null object

Please advise.

Umm, you deleted the actual Fibaro device from my devices?

Umm, Yes, I have now. Deleted and reinstalled to RGG Enhanced Fibaro Motion. So the correct code is installed i think. Set the LED to off for acceleration, and motion. Then “reset parameters” watched it reset and log in values for temp, accel, etc.

But the LED is still on. Baby steps

@chilidog01 I have modified my code with some instructions since you are the second person to have this issue :smile:

After setting my preferences you need to do the following

1. press the fibaro b-button three times (inside the device) a blue light should appear
    This will wake the device to receive the new settings.
  2. select configure on the smart things app for the device.

The new version of the code includes this instruction in the preferences. You can keep the version you have or update. If you update just view the code, cut/paste the new code, save and publish. No need to remove the device and re-add it. The new driver will take over. I usually make sure the app is closed and open it after publish when I do this. If not sometimes it will crash based on the changes I am making.

I am also considering adding additional preferences like lux sensitivity, temp reading offset etc. So you might want to check my github once in a while for changes.

Hope that helps.

Ok so got three of these today…

two paired without an issue. One won’t.

The two that are paired are acting weird.

One constantly says motion has 1% battery reported and has a temperature of 75 which is way way above what it is in that room.

The second one that works has 100% battery but constant movement and vibration!

Plus there is a configure button on the device though I have used the standard ST device type,

Any ideas?

Hi not sure if you tweaked any of your settings in IDE but that might help. I had the same vibration with one of mine it settled down in a few hours. For what it is worth, I did not make any configuration tweaks on mine for several days. But that really should make a difference.

Hi @pmusselman did you resolve the issue with the Fibaro’s that would not pair? One out of my 3 just won’t pair and I wondered if you found a fix? I have reset etc but just won’t pair. I need to decide if it needs to go back to amazon.

The one that was ‘oversensitive’ has indeed settled down over night.

Thanks!

@jonallsebrook I sent this to support this morning. There may be something more going on. Kept crashing all the time I was trying to pair…
Received two motion sensor devices yesterday. One is the Fibaro motion and the other is the Ecolink PIR. I tried installing the Fibaro first. I use the + then went into motion sensors and selected the Fibaro sensor and tried to install, my system crashed (sent crash report). The second time I hit the plus and then just went to install new device and I was able to get it to pair and it’s working fine.
Next I tried to install the Ecolink. Once again I hit the + sign, went to motion sensors, hit the Ecolink motion sensor, and try to install from there and once again system crashed (sent crash report). Next I tried hitting the + and just adding new device, put the battery back in my (Ecolink) and watched and watched and watched as smart things tried to pair with this device. I tried this about 15 times (both in the motion sensor area and just the add device area). You should have several crash reports from me last night. Finally I had worn down the battery on my iPhone to the point that I gave up. Any suggestions?

@jonallsebrook. No I ended up sending it back to Amazon and getting a replacement.

Thanks I will do the same!

Just curious you guys are doing the following correct.

1. Press b-button on the fibaro motion sensor three times. This button is inside the device and wakes it to listen for include and config zwave signals. The led should display blue when you do this.
  2. Hold the device within 3 ft radius of the hub
  3. include from mobile app

I had 4 of them and only one of them would not pair. I used the same steps you have listed above. I tried 50 plus times to get it to pair with no luck. The replacement paired right away using the same steps as the other 3.

Only issue that I am running into right now is that my cat is setting off the sensor. Not sure what the optimal pet sensitivity settings are.

1 Like

You need to train cat to stay very still :cat:

1 Like

Hi,

So I have all three paired now (1 was indeed faulty) but one suddenly dropped to 1% from 100% battery and isn’t reporting very effectively. Has anyone seen similar things or do I have another dud?

Another question is am I better off using the device type mentioned in this thread or the one that gets installed on initial pair through the ST App?

TIA!

I still use the old one from @wackware with custom lux parameters…

Is anyone willing to post a summarized “how to configure a Fibaro Motion Sensor” type of thread? Or even just a post here? This thread is redunkulously long and confusing!! :grin:

What are you trying to configure ? From the manual you can see the settings, if you know which you want to alter it’s really easy to simply modify the device code to use your preferred settings.

If you have more than one device and want different settings then you have two options.

1. Create two or more copies of the device code with different settings and name them so you know which has what settings.
  2. Modify the device code to allow for settings to be adjusted in a preferences screen. This is what I did for my two sensors.

If you have one sensor and know the settings you want then simply install the device code in your ide, adjust the settings you want to adjust in the “configure” method of the device code, save, publish and use this device code. Then either install the motion sensor or if already installed then select configure to pick up your settings.

OK Ron, thanks. As you know there are varying levels of ST experience and skill here. I guess the first question I would now ask you is: how do I “install the device code in your ide”? I do know where the ide stuff is as I followed some directions to get my Chamberlain garage door integrated. But if I go to that page and click “New Device Type” there are a ton of parameters to populate. I wouldn’t know how to begin or where to go from there. You mention some code. Where is this code? And help would be appreciated.