Pool Sensor For Temp

(Jon Allsebrook) #1

@twack and I just had a back and forth on Twitter about pools and smartthings and one of the things I want to do (which is a simple thing I hope) is set something up to monitor our outside pool temperature. Does anyone know of a wireless sensor that could either float free in the pool or be attached somewhere on the side that would work with smartthings? I am guessing a multi isn’t waterproof so that wouldn’t be a good investment :slight_smile:

(Longhorn84) #2

I wonder how long the multi would last if you siliconed around the edges? It’s an expensive experiment and also I’m not sure how accurate the reading would be.

(Jon Allsebrook) #3

Yeah I have considered that but its an expensive experiment indeed! One thing I have considered is using a wired temp waterproof probe and seeing if there is a sensor like the Everspring that I can hard wire into… anyone anymore thoughts?

(Geko) #4

How about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400488050511.
Wire it up to Arduino SmartShield and off you go… :slight_smile:

(Jon Allsebrook) #5

@geko yeah funnily enough I am looking at doing something like that right now but haven’t played with Arudino before… can I run an arudino on a battery and have it transmit via wifi as I want this to be as self contained as possible!

(Geko) #6

There’re many ways to do it, of course. Yes, you can run Arduino from battery, but if you want WiFi, you’ll need a pretty big battery :slight_smile:
Zigbee is more power efficient. Another option - you can power it from a small solar panel. Sounds like fun DYI project :slight_smile:

(Kris) #7

Would the fibaro solution work for you?

(David Montoya) #8

So Acurite has a pool sensor which I believe is only available via Home Depot:

They also have a bridge to connect Acurite sensors to the internet:

From there you get something like this: (ignore some of the readings)

According to Acrite, they don’t have a public API, but you can (manually at this time) export readings to a csv

(David Montoya) #9

You could also do what I’ve done with one of my other sensors (granted it’s an AcuRite RF one, but the principle is the same):

Take any Smarthings compatible sensor, with a little bit of packing peanuts,or foam, and seal it using a food saver vacuum bag. Assuming something other than ziploc bag, it will last longer than the battery.