Platform Update - Release Notes - 05/18/16

this…

2 Likes

@slagle

Does this mean we can “see” up to 300 different devices in the mobile app? Or (crossing my fingers here) does this mean you have increased the 100 device type limit from 100 to 300?

@slagle it was news for me today, and it may be for others who use parent/child apps. You cannot add a new child (fails with red banner -you are not authorized) if you are logged into a secondary accout. FYI @mike_maxwell , @MichaelS both Ask Alexa and Keenect were giving me errors…

BTW, I actually liked the idea of additional users not being able to add child apps

1 Like

Yeah, right now I can’t get echo to do a damn thing in regards to ST… It just sits there staring at me… with it’s evil blue eye!

Both.

7 Likes

Did you publish the child app? If not, that’s most likely why.

Not it, one is published (Keenect), one is not (Ask Alexa)…

thank you to ST for fixing this, will make a massive difference to what we can achieve with the platform!

2 Likes

300 is MUCH better than 100 - THANKS!

I noticed yesterday that My Devices was showing more than the previous limit of 200 Devices within an account on the My Devices page, and that I can get more than 100 on the My Hubs/ page.

However, as I am already at 264 total and 165 in the largest of my 3 locations, (with many real and virtual switches yet to go), I’d really prefer to see a jump to 500 devices total for an account (300 total / 300 per device attribute per location seems reasonable - for now :slight_smile: ).

OK, Back to installing those switches!!!

THANKS (again)!!!

3 Likes

Looks like the Lumin conditional was also added to Smart Lighting!!! You guys need to play up these improvements a little more! Thanks for getting that added!!

Now if we could just get you guys to make upcoming features a little more visible/public I think it could really have a positive effect on some of the negativity that’s been brewing as of late.

5 Likes

Yes! I’ve been waiting for smart lighting to have lux conditions. This is great. Is there any other place to find changes like this other than looking in the apps?

I’ll take a conditional switch with no announcement, please! @slagle should we set a lobbying fund for you and @jody.albritton

You beat me to it, I couldn’t post fast enough lol.

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about the switch restriction?!? Because illuminance was out for a long time ( :wink: :wink: 2 days, that is)

The Room caching update leads me to ask a question…can we use a smart app code to see what devices a user has put in a room? Or is that database just reserved for the Apple and Android SmartThings App right now? (I’m trying to figure out how to create some room centered apps)

1 Like

Any way to add SECONDS as option in SmartLighting for the delay to also turn off after motion stops. It’s either immediate or minutes and I would like a few seconds of light before turning off.

1 Like

Right now it’s reserved. No timeline yet for opening that up.

1 Like

Thanks Tim, it helps me a lot just knowing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about fixing the state of smart bulbs that are turned off by physical switches. My OCD doesn’t appreciate not being able to turn the bulb off in the app just to be sure it’s off, for good measure you know. It seems like a simple fix.

1 Like

Zigbee and Z wave smart bulbs are intended to be always powered on. (Check your bulb’s user guide for verification.) Nothing to do SmartThings, it just has to do with mesh architecture. If you cut the actual power to a smart bulb it can’t report that event. If you wanted the hub to catch it, it would have to be continually polling. That makes sense for a continuous connection protocol like Wi-Fi, but not for one like Z wave or zigbee. You would cripple your network with the amount of polling required. And it’s not really practical to add a battery to a bulb just to catch these off requests as there are issues of heat diffusion and expense.

Fortunately there is a solution, which is to use one of many different types of smart switches which do not directly control the current to the smart bulb. The switch tells the smartthings hub that it is been turned off and SmartThings tells the bulb to turn itself off. Keeps everything in sync. :sunglasses:

Just in the last few months there have been two new devices for this purpose which are both smart switch covers. They fit over your existing switch. The bulb stays powered on, but there is an intuitive button switch in exactly the same place that can control the bulbs wirelessly.

These and other options are discussed in the following thread:

2 Likes