Pico remote without smart light dimmer switches?

First off - thank you so much for the detail - and - holy cow, it makes more sense now! I actually purchased the smart bridge controller thinking I might need it, but couldn’t work out how to make it work with the Pico remote. Now that I know the master switch needs to be added it makes a lot more sense.

I’m going to re-read this when I get home (at the office now), but I believe I have a viable path forward. I really appreciate the detail.

Steve

1 Like

Actually you can add a Pico without an actual switch as long as your smart bridge is set up.

Well said. Well said. Device limit is 50 though (staring at my 42 devices).

1 Like

It will still be invisible to smartthings through the official Lutron integration, though. Unless something has changed very recently.

Whoops. I thought we were just talking generally, i.e. Lutron app.

Is there a way to use lutron pico remotes as buttons without adding any other hub?

No, the Lutron SmartBridge hub is required at a minimum, and even then, Pico Remotes are not supported by the official SmartThings <-> Lutron integration. There is a community written solution for using Pico remotes, but if I recall correctly, a Raspberry Pi (or similar) is required as a man-in-the-middle solution. See this post above for more details.

Thanks. Is there any similar to the lutron pico remotes that work directly with smartthings?

Does the Aeon Labs AL001-B-US,Black,US,AL001 Touch Panel One Button work as a anithing button with smartthings?

or the Insteon 2342-242 Mini Remote Switch, On/Off?

How about the official ST Button?

The Aeon device you mention above is not ‘smart’. It is just a button that must be used with another Aeotec product.

Insteon is a completely different protocol that is not compatible with SmartThings.

I have never used any of the devices you have mentioned. I actually use Pico Remotes via my Lutron SmartBridge Pro2, connected to my Hubitat Elevation home automation hub. Hubitat has built-in support for the Pico remotes, as well as the rest of the Lutron switches, dimmers, and fan controllers.

Search for compatible Button Controllers within the SmartThings ecosystem. These will usually need to be Zigbee or Z-Wave devices to work with SmartThings.

1 Like

Yes the official ST button works perfect, I have 3 and they work great, but they don’t look very good on the wall.

Insteon devices don’t, but there are a number of zwave and zigbee devices which do, and there are also some Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices which can work in a cloud to cloud integration.

See the buttons FAQ. The FAQ is intended to only have one or two posts per device and usually will link to a conversation thread about each device. So if you have any follow-up questions on a specific device, either go to the conversation thread about it or come back here and ask. Don’t add additional posts to the FAQ. Thanks! :sunglasses:

The FAQ posts should list whether the device is for the US or the UK and whether it is battery powered or Mains powered. So read the descriptions carefully to find something that matches what you are looking for.

FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings

By the way, most of the devices in the buttons FAQ will require custom code. But there are a few on the official compatibility list that will work out of the box.

In particular, the Eaton Cooper battery powered zwave switch is very popular. It looks like a regular switch. But it is somewhat more expensive than some of the other options in the buttons FAQ.

(Eaton is the company, Cooper is the division, and aspire is the model line. You can find the same device listed under any of those three names at different retailers.)

747C1C5D-90C9-4A1E-9DF6-96C083BAE08B

1 Like

Heres the updated scoop!

• First off, Many people don’t know a few of these awesome Pico remotes even exist:
    https://diysmartlighting.com/caseta-wireless-pico-remotes. - see EVERY pico here

• Now up to 75 devices can be put on Caseta Wireless,
    -there is now a new type repeater to extended coverage that works with dimming module repeater as well…
    -now a occupancy/ vacancy sensor is available for Caseta Wireless…

Go here to find it all easily with quick specs: https://diysmartlighting.com/caseta-wireless

Now unleash your Caseta Wireless System to its full potential

Enjoy!

None of those picos are visible to smartthings through the official integration, though. :disappointed_relieved:

Ya i know… its super annoying that the picos cant work with other smart hubs other then Home Assistant (HA)… but from what i see its very complicated to get started… im curious if wink 2 hub has anything more to offer as it works directly with the switches (using the rf tech) and can be used instead of caseta hub but i dont know all the details

Talked to this guy that set it up so the pico remote was a power on/off with raise/lower for his smart tv using the HA system

Anyway maybe someday theyll unlock there system for us… but one thing nice is for lighting purposes only, its nice to have a few of those remotes. one is basically a keypad (3 different scenes and and off)… I personally had no idea for awhile and was so happy when i found out about it, as it adds a nice feature to the room

It’s not complicated at all. :sunglasses: They work fine with hubitat and they used to work fine with both Wink and the Staples hub which was discontinued a few years ago.

As long as you are using the “pro“ version of the Lutron smartbridge, they have an open API and you can telnet into it. Just not from SmartThings.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/lutron-pico/32992/

1 Like

oh ya ive seen people talking about hubitat… I have the pro hub… I believe wink actually uses the rf and you dont need the caseta hub tho is what I was saying (I never saw the staples hub)…

but sounds link hubitat you telnet too the pro hub in this case… do you know… does hubitat and/or wink receive triggers from the picos so you can program a more advanced IFTTT than what lutron offers with caseta? Thats what needs to happen with caseta I get they want a simple system so it is more simple and reliable but sure open up a lot of options.

Yes, I have multiple Pico remotes integrated into my Hubitat hub via Hubitat’s built-in Lutron integration (Telnet-based.) Pushed, Held, and Released events are all supported and can be used as triggers to simple or complex automations.

1 Like

Thats awesome… i used to program homeworks qs, radio ra2, caseta, savant, litetouch and stuff so im stoked to hear you can do those things with caseta wireless… good info to know

Thanks for the response

1 Like