How to use a Lutron Pocketsocket as a proxy to make a Pico visible to ST (or HomeKit) without needing any other devices

Every month or two someone asks how they can use the Lutron pico remote with SmartThings. Because these make really nice wall mount multi button control units.

There are some different ways to do it, but most require using a different server device as a “man in the middle” and it gets pretty complicated.

Unfortunately, the official SmartThings integration does not expose the pico button presses. :disappointed_relieved:

The easiest way to do it for non-technical people is to use a Lutron Caseta dimmer pocket socket plug-in as a “proxy“ for the pico.

You set up the pico to control the dimmer in the Lutron app.

Since you will be able to see the dimmer in either smartthings or HomeKit, then you just trigger your events from the changes in the dimmer.

Note that you still have to have the Lutron smartbridge in order to get the integration with smartthings. But this method will work whether you have a smartthings/Aeotec hub or not, because the SmartThings/Lutron integration is cloud to cloud.

Obviously this adds additional cost since you have to have one dimmer for each pico, so more technical people will probably prefer one of the other methods like using hubitat as a “man in the middle,” but for non-technical people, having an easy way to do this may be worth the extra cost, especially since the Picos themselves are quite inexpensive. Or you can buy a bundle which has one pico and one pocket socket, those usually cost right around $50. Since the pocket socket by itself usually cost around $45, this is a good deal in that sense.

Here’s an article explaining exactly how to do all of this:

And here’s the product:

Home Depot and Lowe’s both usually carry these, so if you have gift cards or discounts there, you may also get a good price.

Again, The only advantage of using the pocket socket as the proxy is it’s just very easy to do and you don’t need any special technical knowledge.

Here again is the article on using the pocket socket as a proxy:

3 Likes

It might be worth noting that using the community server-based method requires a SmartBridge Pro. The pocket socket should work with any SmartBridge!

1 Like

Good point! :sunglasses:

Could you please be more specific by what you mean as ‘dimmer pocket socket plug-in’ - is it a Lutron product or is it a product by another company?

I searched the Internet for ‘Lutron Caseta dimmer pocket socket plug-in’ but could not come up with a definite product… :confused:

My apologies for any confusion. My bad.

In this forum, we call the devices that plug into a wall outlet and then offer you smart control of anything plugged into that a “pocket socket” to distinguish it from an in wall outlet which is wired to the mains or an inwall micro. That’s just because different manufacturers call these devices by different names: “module,“ “switch,“ “smart socket,“ “smart plug,” and it gets pretty confusing. These come in many different shapes, sizes, and protocols.

Lutron calls theirs “Lamp dimmer modules” or “plug in dimmers.“. But also sometimes markets it just under the name “lamp dimmer.“ ( to Lutron, “lamp,“ means “table lamp,“ that is, something not ordinarily controlled by a wall switch but instead plugged into an outlet.)

There is a bundle package that comes with one pocketsocket and one Pico remote, model number P-PKG1P-WH

The pocket socket by itself is model PD-3PCL-WH.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Wireless-Lighting-P-PKG1P-WH-Assistant/dp/B00KHSXB60?th=1

Like most Lutron items, you can usually get these the cheapest from energy Avenue, which is a no-frills warehouse operation . ( I haven’t bought anything from them myself, but a number of community members have.)

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/PD-3PCL-WH

Thank you for the information…

I am trying to understand all that ‘lingo’ while at the same time trying to integrate/use some Lutron devices (I have purchased a while back) with my SmartThings hub. After reading probably 5-6 threads (and possibly hundred of messages) with the term ‘Lutron Pico’, I still cannot understand what needs to be done … everything seems so complicated … why can companies not make all their devices!! :confused:

1 Like

The shortest answer is that if you use the official SmartThings integration and you have a lutron Caseta SmartBridge, You will be able to see your Lutron Caseta wall switches in your SmartThings account and include them in your automations with your other smartthings controlled devices. But you will not be able to see your Picos in your SmartThings account. You can still use your Picos through your Lutron app, And you can still use a pico as the auxiliary switch with your mains-powered Caseta switch as the master switch in a 3 way setup.

But in that setup you cannot use your Lutron Picos To do anything else in smartthings. They are just invisible to smartthings.

So that’s what you get with the official integration. Full control of the mains powered switches in your SmartThings account. But the Picos remain invisible to the SmartThings app.

Because the Picos are such a nice small remote, quite often people will say, “but I want to use the pico for something else with SmartThings.” Like maybe you want to use it to turn some non-Lutron lights on and off. Or maybe you want to give it to a guest to use it to change the SmartThings mode from “away” to “home.”

That’s when you start getting into all the other methods, including the one described in this thread.

But if you’re fine with just using your Picos as the auxiliary switches in a three-way with your Lutron Caseta master switch, you don’t have to worry about any of that. Smartthings will be able to integrate the master switch. And you can use the Lutron app to set up the pico to control the master switch. So that’s all a lot of people need. :sunglasses:

This guide is helpful and certainly got me started however there are a few additions I can make having actually tried this, and the only way I knew these answers was from giving it a go as it wasn’t covered in the OP.

1. Using the plug-in dimmer solution, you can only get ST to recognize the top (on) and bottom (off) buttons of a 5-button Pico remote. So this solution unfortunately won’t allow the use of all 5 buttons (unless I’m mistaken; please someone prove me wrong!) It looked like it was possible as the dimmer has 4 buttons, but alas ST itself can’t use Automations to recognize a “dimmer” level, only “on” or “off”.

2. The HomeKit link provided isn’t too helpful as there’s a ton of info there that doesn’t apply. For example, as I illustrated above, you can only have an automation recognize on/off whereas the HomeKit article shows ways that HomeKit users can get their apps to recognize different dim levels. Again, if I’m mistaken please let me know! I’d love to get all 5 buttons of my Pico working with Lutron.

3. I recommend getting the plug-in dimmer with the remote as a bundle. I had previously purchased them separately, which cost $50 for the dimmer + $15 for the 5-button remote. As a bundle these ar $55, saving $10. Here’s that purchase link:

I hope this helps others, and maybe one day we’ll get direct integration with Pico remotes and SmartThings :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

There’s a community created integration which does give you full integration with pico remotes, but you have to use an additional device as a “man in the middle” server, like a raspberry pi. So I don’t know if you would be interested in that or not.

[OBSOLETE] How to control anything with inexpensive Lutron Pico remotes

1 Like

Oh yes, I’m aware (it’s mentioned in the first post), but having to run an additional computer or Pi 24/7 as well as having to purchase the Lutron bridge is just too far to go for me. For now, this will do.

I have wondered if there is some other way to get the dimmer buttons to be recognized in some way via Lutron that can translate to an observable action in ST, but haven’t come up with it yet…

1 Like

You have to trigger off of a dimmer, or via telnet (that’s what the RPi is for, since the ST hub doesn’t support it natively), or via the official cloud integration (which still requires a dimmer). Only way you can run groovy and skip the RPi that I’m aware of is a Hubitat Elevation hub, Home Assistant or openHAB.

In all cases the Lutron Caséta Smart Bridge Pro it required for Lutron Clear Connect and Telnet.

1 Like

So, I am wondering if you all can help me. I added a Lutron dimmer plugin module and a Pico to my Lutron set up and then ST recognized the dimmer module and added it as a device. But when I turn the device on and off using either the Pico or the on/off buttons on the module, the state of the module is not updated in ST. The Pico does turn the module on and off and the module buttons work, as well, but the ST state doesnt change. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

I don’t have my Lutron devices in smartthings anymore, so I’m not sure if this method works with the new app or not. Hopefully someone else will be able to say definitively one way or the other.

I am still having this issue - the Lutron plugin module is a device recognized by ST, but manually hitting the top and bottom (on and off) buttons on the module or the Pico (while powering on and off the module) won’t update the on/off state in ST. I noticed that the state does change on the Lutron app. I am confused because Samsung clearly states that these Lutron units “work with SmartThings.” Can anyone help me? Thanks very much.