Outdoor Sirens for UK? (2018)

Also, how reliable is the Presence Tag that is supplied by ST in the kits? or is there better Presence Tags?

That’s great. So does that mean if I have a device on ST outlet or even nothing plugged into ST outlet as long as it is turned on it can make the zigbee mesh stronger?

Thanks @anon36505037 I just removed the ST multi sensor from the mounting bracket and bought it and placed it near the garden door which is about 4 or 5 meters away without doors from the ST hub and ST seems to have picked it up again. So wondering maybe I should mount this on on the garden patio door. It was originally installed on the front door which is about 8 meters away with a interior fire door in blocking it which is always kept closed.

When I was originally trying to discover this sensor from the front door, it just wasn’t picking it up. I had to bring the sensor close to the ST hub for it to discover it.

I moved it back to the front door and re-mounted it and seems to be reporting ok now. Will see if the same thing happens again. Are you using the Fibaro FGK-101 door sensors?

I bought a fibaro door sensor. I will move the front door ST one to the back door and use the new fibaro one on the front door.

I added the ST presence sensor to my ST hub today. In the app there doesn’t seem to be battery percentage status for the presence sensor like there is on the multi sensor. Is this normal?

Also there is a speaker icon for the presence sensor on the ST app and if I click on it, the presence sensor beeps after a while. Is this to be able to find it?and how do you stop the beep?

Thanks @anon36505037 The battery status is now showing. I’ve installed that handler now. Can you tell me what the on and off button actually does? When I press it, it just changes from on or off but what does it actually do? If it’s off does that mean ST hub will not monitor it? So for example this morning I left for work and the sensor is now away. If I change the status to Off does that meant when I return home it will not detect me?

@anon36505037 I finally got round to enabling SHM trying out the basic rules for now before I attempt to move over to something like webCore.

The SHM has Armed (Away), Armed (Home), and Disarmed. ST also has Modes called Home, Night, Away. What can these modes be used for? Aren’t these essentially similar to SHM states? If in certain state and certain conditions met then change state etc.?

Thanks. any examples of what I can do with the two combinations?

Thanks @anon36505037

You mentioned in one of the post above that you chime the siren and wait 20 seconds to allow for disarming in other ways. Can you tell me how you chime the siren? I am using a D-Link DCH-Z510 but only seems to sound an alarm sound very very very loud

Thanks @anon36505037 any experience on the dlink-dch-z510.groovy handler for the siren as a chime?

Thanks @anon36505037 I added that device handler and then edited the siren to that device type. Then since then it has been stuck on offline status. Tried reverting back to the aeon siren but still offline. So i went to the Z-Wave utilities to exclude it and remove it. While in that section I pressed the pairing button quickly 3 times and it lit up and gave me a successful exclusion message. However, I am now not able to pair it at all. I go to add new thing and tried all combinations of pressing the pairing button but nothing makes it show up. Any ideas what is wrong?

Is this procedure in order to reset it completely? Do I still need to then go back to Add a Thing in ST and add it after this? and If so what is the combination I press when ST is looking for devices?

LOL thanks. Will try this tomorrow as I don’t want to wake anyone up now if it accidentally goes off

1 Like

I am thinking to add the backup batteries to the sirens. What are the chances of the siren going off accidentally without any ST triggers? For example, lets say ST looses internet connection for long time or SHM is armed but then it looses internet connection when you enter the house and hence I assume it won’t be able to run the if else conditions to either automatically disarm or even send a trigger to the siren. For the siren to go off, it needs a trigger right? so technically unless a ST rule is triggered either manually or via one of the routines because of either a condition matching or a false alarm causing it to match. I am worried that if I put batteries in it and if my internet connection fails and it goes off then I wont be able to turn it off via the ST app or Alexa etc and neither will i be able to pull the plug.

Thanks @anon36505037 Just been looking at some of the routines in ST and as you said last time I think for creating a good enough security system I dont think it’s good enough without something like webCoRE. I can only seem to create basic rules like turn SHM mode to Armed (Away) if X Y Z presence sensors are away. Then set to disarmed if any one of these are present.

But problem then comes if I want to create rules like, if armed (away) and x y or z sensor is triggered and none of the presence sensors are present then chime siren for x seconds giving you time to disarm then sound the siren etc. This isn’t possible with ST right?

Also noticed that when you set up SHM you can set what action to do when in armed mode, for example send notification etc. But these actions kind of happen straight away so you would have to turn these actions off and use different rules right?

Just had a thought, does WebCoRE or ST routines run independently from the mobile device or is it mobile device dependent?

For example if I create a routine on my Android phone’s ST app under automation to turn on X and Y lights at certain time. My wife also has ST on her iOS and i’ve added her as a user and I believe my ST routines show up on her phone too. But the question is do these routines run on the phone and if so which phone? the one that created it or what? what if that phone is unavailable etc.

The reason I ask is because I read that iOS has a $10 third-party app called SmartRules which is a rules engine like WebCoRE. Do these rules get created on the cloud or is it device based? If it’s device based it will be an issue because lets say both devices go on holiday to some country and we don’t have mobile data and only wifi at certain times.

Does WebCoRE run fine simultaneously with normal ST routines ? No conflicts?

I tried the reset procedure as per the manual for the siren. It just doesn’t work. Nothing getting detected when i go to add a thing. Everytime i go to the z wave exclusion utility and press the pair button 3 times on the siren it successfully removes it but just cannot get it to get detected. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I think the Z-Wave exclusion just seems to let you disassociate a device to anything. The first time I removed it with the following steps because it just wasn’t going online:

I went to Z-Wave Exclusion section, Pressed Remove, then it was waiting for combination to be pressed on device. So on the siren I pressed the the tamper switch 3 times and it said successfully removed.

I then went to Add a Thing in ST and tried pressing the tamper switch in 3 times, tried 4 times tried all combinations it just never got picked up. At one point when i was trying all these combinations I got a message on ST saying something about incorrect Token then it disappeared.

All the combinations I try pressing the tamper switch sometimes makes the light flash. What’s the difference between the tamper switch and the small tiny button right next to the micro-usb connector? A few times playing with the tamper switch caused the siren to go off as if it’s been tampered.

I try the complete reset process by pressing the tamper switch quickly 4 times and hold on the 4th time. This causes the red light to come on after a few seconds, the red light fades away. As soon as it fades away i release pressing the tamper switch. But according to the manual its supposed to just turn light on once and not flash but the LED flashes a few times.