Outdoor open/close sensor?

Any one know of a good weatherproof open/close sensor similar to the ST multipurpose sensor that works with ST. I’m new to all this stuff and would like such a sensor for my back gate. Thanks

What’s the weather like where you live? I only ask because batteries don’t do well in extreme temperature and if it gets super cold or super hot where you live, your best bet would be to look into some kind of hard-wired sensor that you connect to SmartThings via some other means. This isn’t as simple as it used to be now that we no longer make the ThingShield, but there are still plenty of ways to make a binary sensor connect to the Platform if you’re interested in such tinkering.

You can go with the battery powered option as well, even if you live in an area with lots of weather. Just remember that most of these devices are rated for indoor use.

Some people have had good luck sticking a door sensor into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00REFK1A8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t, however, have an outdoor specific solution that I’d be comfortable recommending to you.

Perhaps someone else with a gate sensor can chime in!

3 Likes

Well what do you know… the strips are outdoor rated!

These sensors are awesome and I DO feel comfortable +1’ing this recommendation

3 Likes

I’ve had good results using the Lowes Iris contact sensor in a couple of ‘off label’ applications-- I use one buried inside my freezer to report temperature and it’s been functioning perfectly in the -5 to +5 range for about 8 months now on the same battery (albeit not the one that came with it-- I don’t think the supplied batteries with those sensors are of comparable quality to Energizer or Duracell CR2 replacements). I’ll note that the battery level dropped to 56% almost immediately when I started using it, and has reported this level ever since. I also use the same type of sensor outdoors mounted underneath my mailbox, and again it has been performing just fine during the winter here in the Northeast.

I’m also using three of the Lowes Iris motion sensors outdoors as well; I’ve waterproofed them with GE silicone on all the seams including around the IR lens and have them mounted under eaves where they aren’t in direct path of rainfall. They’ve been working perfectly in all outdoor temperatures, although two of the three sensors have needed battery replacements since August-- they likely get a lot more events to report because of their placement. I have a Go Control Zwave motion sensor in a similar application outside; it works fine for motion (and still at 96% battery level thanks to the huge CR123 battery) except its temperature reporting seems to go nonlinear right around 32 degrees.

1 Like

Thanks everyone it looks like those thin strips are exactly what I’ve been looking for so I’ll probably give them a shot, and just to clarify these would work with the SmartThings hub right? I live in portland Oregon so the cold isn’t the biggest concern but rather the rain. Thanks again

1 Like

I tried the Strips for outdoor use and have some feedback. One, they don’t work on metal . Two, I haven’t been able to get it to work well on my wooden gate. Not sure if it is a range issue and others may have better luck. A ST sensor in a nearby shed works well so not sure why the Strip has trouble being read a few feet away.

I appreciate the suggestion. I do have GE switches all over the house including two within 5-10 feet of the gate.

I was pretty sure they were originally rated for 10 years?! I appreciate it’s unlikely to last that long but has something changed and they’ve downgraded that rating to make it more realistic?

Still rated at up to 10 years according to their website.

Hidden from view, consumers can use Strips by Sensative to monitor access to their homes 24/7 for up to 10 years!

1 Like

i made something using waterproof box listed in fist post. i am using it with my alarm but this should work with any z-wave door contact that you can install external contact to. i bought some wide gap contact magnets because my outdoor gate has almost 2inch gap.

1. drill small hole in box to run wire for contact.
    2 . glue the contact to box with gorilla glue or any outdoor rated glue.

since box was small i had to take the circuit board out but and have to install something to hold the tamper switch in my case i just used small piece of romex i had laying around.
3. Hot glue the door contact to box and connect the wires.
4. install battery and test.
5. i used 3m double sided tape and some stainless steel screws to attach it to gate. so far so good. its been 6 months. been through hot and cold weather . i am in NY.

link for magnets

4 Likes

i use these in both mailbox and on outdoor fence… batteries are fine and it does get cold here in nh…

i did put silicon under the one totaly outdoors (ie not in mailbox) on my fence…

now using instead their version of the zwave plus ones. same idea though

Hello,

What sensor ( manufacturer & model) did you use for your application: can’t seem to find a Z-wave sensor with external input.

Thanks,
Lee

Just came across your post.
There’s another (similar) thread… I posted what I used and a few pics. Working very well for me!

That’s exactly the info I was looking for. Just ordered the Aeon Sensor.Thanks!

1 Like

Nest Protects and many high-end battery operated smoke sensors in the US now specify a 10 year battery life, the technology is there. :sunglasses: And Sensative holds a patent on their design for the very thin battery.

2 Likes

What relay are you using? And does it give battery updates to the hub?

I am using it with Honeywell alarm so it’s little different.

Does it exist something better nowadays?

I tried the strips, but as said before they don’t work on metal, then almost 2 years ago I bought the Fibaro Door and Window Contact 2 Z-Wave Plus Pack of 1, black, FGDW-002-3 from amazon DE but also this doesn’t work very well; It has problems with heat and cold weather although it handles very well the rain. In these 2 years, I changed the battery maybe 4 or 5 times.

To be honest I’m thinking to cannibalize a sensor and connect a wired sensor together with an wireless adaptation…