Outdoor Gate Control

So I used the same 12v bolt lock, 12-24v Led driver, and aeon labs micro switch. I chose to use an Aeon labs touch switch for my manual operation. I used a multi tool and chisel to create a pocket for the bolt in the header above the door. Routed the wire over to a new plastic remodel box (all components barely fit in a large single gand), and pulled power for the driver from a nearby outlet. Was a little more work than I anticipated but happy with the results. The hardest part was fitting the sliding door with the striker plate, but after a few adjustments it worked perfectly. Works like a charm on ST. The touch switch is great for the kids. I also have it connected with an Aeon key fob. My favorite integration to date! Only regret is not routing this to a UPS in case of power failure. (Unlocks on power outage) I may add this later.

1 Like

I used security locks (lock on power loss) while @Chad_Theman used safety locks (unlock on power loss). I modified the DTH to be lock type aware. Just change the lock type in the settings to switch between security and safety modes.

I plan on completing this install, it would be great if you can explain the wiring (a video would be perfect) also how does the locking mechanism work? And how will I be able to install it on my gate?

I plan on purchasing the Ring Elite Video Doorbell when it is available. I will run two cat 6 from the adjacent room, one for the doorbell and the other for this lock. I am confused on how the wiring will work but I will order the three components and see what happens.

alternative installation:

I have used a outside magnetic lock along with a Smart things outlet and a 12 v adapter, Works good after implementing it into my routines. struggling with presence been bit slow but otherwise i was lucky as the gate i require to lock is attached to the house so made instillation quite easy.

The problem i suffer is its always Locked which is good but annoying on exit so i was wondering if i could add a Photoelectric Infrared Beam behind the gate so as i pass the beam the gate unlocks. i have no experience with the Binary switches and i guess this is what i would require along with another 12v power source. Any advise please before i go at it.

I use the exact same break beam (although bought from ebay) for my front door announcements
When the beam is broken it announces that there is someone near the door
I did this with a fibaro door contact which has the ability to use wired contacts in place of the magnet.
When the beam breaks the contact closes
 obviously once that happens you can get smartthings to do something.
They have worked well for a number of weeks now with just a small 12vdc plugin power supply

Fantastic idea using the door contact. much less complicated i think. glad yours works well.

Good advise

Thx

Does anyone have a electronic door strike recommendation that fits into a regular strike plate? I don’t have the skills to cut the metal.

I completed this project to control my gates back in March 2018 but I finally made a video about it.

Thanks @ogiewon @Ryan780 for the help!

3 Likes