Open discussion - Issues with expanding Philips Hue integration (Hue Connect)

I notice that SmartThings doesn’t seem to like my Bloom. Often the Bloom will turn back on after a shut off command had been previously sent. I’m pretty disappointed in the cruddy integration considering how open Hue is compared to other devices.

Just last night, I put my house into sleep mode which is supposed to shut off everything. I woke up this morning, and before the house went into morning mode I happen to go downstairs, all lights were still on, and only 2 of 3 lights were off in my office. The motion sensor that triggered the nightlight kicked in and then never turned off. It’s supposed to turn off after a few minutes. I’m passed the point of caring. There’s no way I’m resetting everything again. Waiting to see some HomeKit options as they develop and then I’ll probably move over to Lutron to fill in the gaps. Will probably put my whole ST setup on eBay.

Yup… an update is sorely needed. But given troubles with the platform in general in recent weeks, guessing they have bigger fish to fry.

Has anyone with the hue hub when going to install had less then three devices starting off? I had called Philips Hue about the BR30 I was having issues with, luckily they accepted to receive it to trouble shoot it themselves or send me back a new one. I only have a strip and this one BR30 at the moment. He mentioned that one reason for my issue of not being able to add it to the hub was because I need at least 3 bulbs to make the mesh to be able to connect them. But what threw him for a loop was that I was able to connect my strip the manual way not the auto way. The other weird thing was that the BR30 only had 4 character for the SN and not the 6 that is need to add it correctly.

I love ST but my biggest issue with them are the basic hue issues which affects me nearly everyday and is most used and causes me the most heartache when “others” get it totally right!

I had 3 when I started but no issues at least connecting to the hub. Expanded it to 10 plus and detection has never been a problem except I don’t have the MAC address of the hue hub set to a static ip and rebooting the router may assign it a different ip and then the hub is not found and has to be redetected. Project for this weekend.

Good idea. I will be setting the up in the router to not happen to me.

I am attempting to add a new Hue Bloom to my existing environment and I cannot get ST to pick it up. I’ve re-run the discovery process and it doesn’t find the new device. The Hue app and Harmony are both able to see the new device, but I can’t seem to get ST’s Hue Connect to discover anything but the existing bulbs. This has been the case every time I’ve tried to add a bulb to my environment and I’m getting a little sick of spending another few hours nuking all the associated activities for all the existing bulbs, wiping everything that touched the lights in my house, then deleting and re-creating the Hue connection and slogging through the configuration of everything again.

I’m not even sure how to begin troubleshooting something like this. Should I expect this to work or do I just need to stop buying bulbs?

ST support just told me that this was a bug in Hue Connect that was previously fixed and now back again. I have 12 bulbs and cannot see the new 13th bulb to add it. Very frustrating. I hope this has top priority with support, as controlling lights is a MAJOR function of ST.

Confirmed, I just experienced this a few days ago. Its really brutal

I continue to have this issue and just last night removed all hue bulb’s and the hue bridge then added it back before ST would detect the three new bulbs I added last week. It take way too long to remove everything and add it back and its amazing that seems to be everyone’s recommendation instead of fixing the integration.

Everyone agrees on that it should be fixed, however ST states that fixing Hue integration is not on the roadmap, at least not in near future. It’s really sad that they cannot fix something that bunch of people depend on, and we cannot spend longs hours removing and adding all the bulbs from smart apps, every time we have to add new Hue bulb…

Check out this topic to see how useless ST support is regarding Hue integration - Is Philips Hue the neglected one and TCP the favored one

At this point, I think ST should consider taking Hue products from their support list, but this is just my opinion.

Thanks,
bizior.

Actually they have stated that they are rewriting the device type, maybe as early as next week.

@jodyalbritton - when and where did you read that?

2 Likes

Hi all, I posted on the other thread but I’ll bring out the highlights here too.

Sorry if there’s any misunderstanding - we have every intention to fix the issues with Hue.

We will be looking into two specific issues in the coming weeks with hue - 1) adding additional bulbs after initial setup and 2) discovery of hue bridge that plagues some networks.

The first problem should be easier to solve and I suspect that we’ll have a fix out in a few weeks. The discovery issue is a little harder reproduce and is highly dependent on the network setup.

In both cases we’ll continue to update y’all as we progress.

Hue is an important device to our ecosystem and I want our users to feel comfortable installing it in your homes without worry about reliability.

Does this mean Hue Lux will be added in? Would love to control those too,!

@jonallsebrook, I have several hue Lux bulbs that I control through ST. I’m curious what issues you are having with them and ST?

1 Like

Hi @hscox030

ST just won’t find them to add them in. Always seem to have this issue when adding in new bulbs!

Once I add my hue bridge to ST then add additional bulbs to it ST will no longer detect those new additions, LightStrip, Lux, doesn’t really matter what it is. So I removed all my bulbs and the bridge (twice so far) then re-added them and now it detects and controls everything, Lux included. It isn’t specific to Lux, just that they are new bulbs and it sounds like that is one of the issues they are going to address. It was a crappy process to remove then add everything back but now I can control everything in ST. I will not be adding anything new to hue until this issue gets resolved as I did not enjoy that process and it took about 2 hours to get it all finished.

Stinks to as I would love to get a couple of the LivingColor Iris’.

1 Like