Old vs. New: Under a Device, "Recently" & Rules/Pistons

In the classic app, you could click on a device, then go under “Recently” and see a history of actions against that device (on, off, last rule/piston (webCoRE/etc) that ran to cause the action, etc). When I use the new app, click on the device (by room off the default home screen), there is an “Activity History” section at the bottom, but it only shows ON/OFF/etc - doesn’t cite any rules or pistons.

Also related, in the classic app, next to “Recently”, there is a “SmartApps” option that will display all the rules/pistons you have written/created with that item used within. Don’t see that in the new app either unless I’m just missing it.

Is there a way to get that audit level of detail in the new app like we had in the classic ? I used that all the time to help me troubleshoot unforeseen rule/piston behavior. Thanks !

1 Like

tagging @blake.arnold

We’ve discussed this recently - we’re actually trying to make the history detail less verbose in the mobile client as it can get a little overwhelming to look at on a day to day basis. I agree (as do others on the ST team) that knowing where a command is coming from is very valuable and we want to keep this type of functionality somewhere. Since it is primarily used for troubleshooting by advanced users, it seems like providing it through a web interface (think graph or a web-based version of the client) would make sense. You thoughts @eric182 and @80sTiger?

1 Like

Web-based client… I like that idea. What I like better is to just keep it like the classic app has it. Just list the smart app that caused the device to go on or off in the device history. I guess that goes against your thoughts of keeping that area less wordy.

I can appreciate you wanting to keep things simple. I have some devices that really clutter up the history (like power plug-ins that litter the audit/history list with tenths of a voltage change hundreds of times).

Have you thought about creating a filter option switch at the top of the “Activity History” that, by default, is on just BASIC (on/off, closed/open, etc) with an option to turn on ADVANCED, which would then show piston/rule activity and other detail exactly like the classic app under “Recently” ? I think that would be a good compromise.

1 Like

All this said, we really need these options available in the new app before completely eliminating the classic app. Not having the audit trail of when a piston/rule is impacting a device is a big, big negative and unacceptable really. I am OK continuing to go to the classic app in the meantime until something can be provided in the new app, but let’s not take these screens away completely please (the other screen being the ‘SmartApps’ on the device with shows every piston/rule in which that device is used). Thanks.

Totally with you on this. We had a massive list of parity features that we had been working down for the last year or so but we knew that once we went public with the intent to start migration, the community would likely have a few more to add that didn’t come up in focus groups or surveying. I’ll add this to the list and see what we can do. Thank you!

1 Like

That’s actually a really good idea!

1 Like

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.