Oh you upgraded your hub? Delete EVERYTHING and start over...THANKS FOR BUYING!

I want to vomit I am so pissed off right now. This is ridiculous. FREAKING RIDICULOUS. I just bought the Hub V2 to upgrade my HubV1. I figured, plug in, power up, connect, migrate my stuff, and I’m good to go. NOPE. I have to DELETE all 358 of my smart apps. THEN I have to delete my 28 devices. THEN I have to delete the my locations. THEN I have to reinstall my devices, smart apps, locations, AND re-configure EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.OF.THEM. THEN…THEN!!! I have to reconfigure ALL of my IFTTT and inter-connected things because NOW they have different ID’s and won’t work with my previous recipes.

I contacted Smart Things support and I got an, “Yeah, we screwed up. We’re working on a new migration tool! But we don’t have an ETA for it yet…”

Are you…I want to cuss SO BAD…ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! How the HELL do you build, prep, test, prep some more, PUSH, deliver, sell and mass produce this god forsaken device, and NOT produce a migration tool? THEN, you tell me that you don’t have an ETA after this device has been out for MONTHS? What the hell is wrong with you Smart Things… I’m so pissed i can’t even think straight. I don’t have time for this crap. I’m about to send this POS back. Holy freaking…I can’t even…

5 Likes

A 5 minute search would have told you that you had to completely rebuild your system to upgrade to the V2 hub. It’s not ideal but it is what it is.

7 Likes

I’m not here to add fuel to your fire, but there are several posts in the community about migration woes and experiences. I did the same a while back, but I had over 200 devices and reasonable number of SmartApps. It wasn’t fun, but it’s doable.

I’m really curious to know what 358 SmartApps you have doing with 28 devices?

3 Likes

I think he meant it the other way around, I think…think…358, really?

2 Likes

I have 3, 4, even six smart apps per device because they individually perform different tasks on a scripted server

1 Like

Now I’m even more curious. Again, I’m not here to egg you on, but your use of ST is interesting. My mission has been to reduce SmartApps and the management of those, and CoRE has made that possible. Can you share an example scenario?

I’m super curious about this…

I have 150+ devices and less than 50 smartapp/rules…

Not trying to stir the pot… But if I had that much time into a system… I’d definitely do just a small tad of research before starting an upgrade…

3 Likes

The OP has described his setup before. He’s using eventghost and a bunch of other stuff. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Pretty interesting setup that’s for sure. I’d have to agree with @bamarayne’s assessment, but hopefully the OP can get things back up and running again without a lot of hassle, and maybe even optimize the new v2 environment.

I’m lost I upgrade any other electronic device and I have to do it manually why would this be different thought. Phones have started to make it a little easier but still not perfect and that’s about 10 years after the first smartphone. I hated changing phones had to move all my files via a computer and all. Anyone that likes toys like st should know their isn’t a migration tool and v3 will be out and I wouldn’t count on one then either.

Several home automation competitors to SmartThings provide a migration tool, including wink.

But perhaps even more significant is the fact that we were told by more than one senior staff member, including the CEO and the community manager, that they were working on a migration tool almost a year ago now.

It was originally officially promised for the end of 2015:

2 Likes

I get that but st doesn’t and there are a hundred topics to say so. And what I was trying to relay is I go with there isn’t until I find otherwise.

1 Like

Don’t even get me started, I’m still spitting nails!

I migrated to V2 early with hopes that ST would deliver a more robust, more functional, bluetooth enabled, local processing capable hub, only to have over a year of instability in the cloud platform, promises of a “right around the corner” migration V1 to V2 tool for all the devices, no chat support, deleted smartapps, OAUTH connections breaking, etc… Well, IMHO, ST has NEVER delivered on even half of what they promised with the V2, and I am still waiting on local processing for more than lights and motion detectors.

They did finally stabilize the cloud platform after 18 months of randomized outages, a firmware upgrade that bricked my V2 hub while I was on vacation for 3 weeks (neighbor reported that our locks were left open after they entered the house to feed the dogs, lights and motions detectors dead, etc)… and the beat goes on!

Sorry to hear about your pain, but know that many have gone through exactly what you have experienced and are still standing…but I will not be twice bitten on V3, if/when they want my support in the distant future…

3 Likes

Now that I hear Wink has solved this impossible challenge, the lack of progress by SmartThings stings even worse.

Now if wink had an open api that allowed us to do what we do here…

2 Likes

Wink does have an open api, smart things does not. Wink lacks the ability to run code by end users, st does. Big difference.

2 Likes

Words… Just words… You knew what I meant though😆

2 Likes

I have a ton of automations between LINKS, Eventghost, IFTTT and personal scripts where i only need to use one portion of what a device offers (use the multi purpose device for example. If i have one smart app to detect vibrations the same app can’t individually run a script for temperature at a certain time of day within a certain boundary when a specific person is home but no one else is, etc., etc.). Things can get complicated fast. I assumed that it would be much easier to transition because it just makes sense that it SHOULD be.

I mean, for real, why can’t i just change the details on my location and leave everything else the same? It seems over the top and ridiculous to have to do this much work just to upgrade.

I’m not even counting my plethora of emulated devices to connect devices that aren’t ST compatible so that they work with the system. Those have to be recreated and reconnected to every instance in a script i have and is going to take me weeks to re-engineer.

2 Likes

Good question.

Accurate observation.

5 Likes