[OBSOLETE] Tado (Connect)

Sorry if this question seems stupid. I am fairly new to this. Is there anyway to set-up heating automation? My tado is in the hall but I really like the heating to be controlled by the temperature in the living room. Can I leave a motion sensor in the living room, if the temperature drops below a certain degree, Tado switch on the heating and vice versa.

you could, you would need to set up either rules in something like WebCore, or alternatively use @yvesracine 's solution

Thank you very much Stuart, Iā€™ll have a play.

Hi, just to let you know, there is no way to implement the concept of rooms/zones & schedules in webcore the way I did it in ScheduleTstatZones (even if the rule engine is quite powerful) as my smartapp has close to 5000 lines of codeā€¦

This logic is impossible to reproduce in a smart rule engine, and the performance would not match ScheduleTstatZones in any case.

Regards.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add the other ā€œManualā€ option that tado uses? when in the app I can set it if manual mode is activated it will return to automatic after 30 minutes? We use actiontiles and I donā€™t want to kids setting the heating high and then it just being left at a high temperature.

@SamB the reason i didnt put this in was because ST has easy way to select different timeframes (as the default values for settings dont work) for the method, and if say for example i chose an arbitary value such as an hour without having an override then this would not be right for a lot of people. and if i provide a way to override the default timeframe in the smartapp there would be no way for me to set a default value as this option doesnā€™t work in STā€™s groovy code (admittedly i havent checked this recently but AFAIK this is still a bug). and if people dont have timer selected as the mode they want to reset then i think it introduces a usability issue forcing them to select a timeframe for a setting they dont use before they can install the application.

so thats why i introduced Tado_Mode as the option so if you use the tado schedule predominantly this allows you revert back to the tado schedule when the mode changes in that schedule.

however if you want to enforce an override to have a blanket change to override the mode change back then this can be done using other tools for example webcore can run the endManualControl function on the Tado Thermostat when the TadoMode attribute has been ā€œMANUALā€ for more than x minutes.

this would have the desired effect for your use case

Excellent information, I will have a look at this in WebCore thanks.

Just a quick message to say thanks for this. Trying it with the TRVs only, will let you know how I get on.

1 Like

Is there a bug in the current smartapp code? I publish the smartapp and when I start it up in the SmartThings app, I get the window asking me for Tado login information and after submitting that I just have a blank white screen, and a error message:

ā€œError - bad stateā€

Not AFAIK. Please open the IDE logging window whilst installing and dm me the logs so I can investigate

I just got this up and running. Cant wait to fire it up. Thanks so much!

1 Like

I got this when I didnā€™t follow the instructions and enable OpenAuth on the SmartApp.

On a side note, is there a way of increasing the refresh rate within the device handler/Smartapp without having to use Pollster?

Thanks.

you could change line 360 of the Tado Smartapp to read

runEvery1Minute("poll")

instead of the line below that is there at the moment.

runEvery5Minutes("poll")

if however after changing this you may find issues with overlapping requests. i also havenā€™t set it by default to be less as the tado API is currently undocumented and not public, and i donā€™t want to encourage them identifying traffic from ST as a problem and blocking.,

oh and you will just need to go through the smartapp settings again quickly without changing anything for the change to take effect.

Is there a recommended app to control the Tadoā€™s? I want something that turns my bathroom tado off when the window is open (and the multisensor registers it) and returns it to ā€œAutoā€ state when the window is closed.

I canā€™t seem to find anything that fits that so far

@MikkelWinther, this is the only app for controlling the Tado Devices from smartthings. that is what it does, it controls the Tado Devices and allows them to be seen in ST as standard ST Thermostats.

If however you want to perform those types of actions when conditions happen from other non tado devices you need to author your own logic in a smartapp, or use a rules engine to achieve this like webCore ([deleted]) or alternatively Smart Rules (http://smartrulesapp.com/) these provide a gui to generate very complex rules.

or you can look at @yvesracine 's ScheduleTstatZones

but i believe that does not do open window detection as it is supposed to work with smart vents. but he also has a smartapp for doing exactly what you wish in its simplest form

Thanks for this. I was using this as a ā€œIf all TRVs are above temperature turn off heatingā€ through webCORE, but decided to invest in the Smart Thermostat and Extension, so no real need for real-time updates - 5 minutes should be perfect now. It means Iā€™ve consolidated 2 gateways into 1, and itā€™s certainly a lot more smart that what I had before.

As such, Iā€™ve donated a little thank you for your time and effort - keep it up.

Cheers.

1 Like

Where can I find a user guide for the smart app? Iā€™m not sure what some of the buttons do

Also, I want to set up schedules for heating within smartthings rather than tado. I thought there would be smartapps within the climate control secti0n of the smartthings app thatā€™d allow this but most donā€™t seem to recognise the tado as a heating device. What am I missing?

@Milomolly Ok Iā€™ve not used those smartapps myself. But the tado devices conform to the thermostat capability. So I have just taken a look. The only smartapps that support standard thermostats are @slagle 's Thermostat Director and Keep me cozy II. The others are for turning on switches to heaters etcā€¦ I have just installed both and they see my Tado devices no issue. What Tado devices do you have? I have the Tado heating, cooling, TRV and water control and these can all be selected so donā€™t see why you cannot.

As for your other question about what the buttons do. With that I presume you have the Tado cooling air conditioning device? As some of the buttons may not work as we cannot dynamically display what buttons you see on a device in ST at install and your device capability may not sorry all features. So some buttons may actually not do anything. If you have the logging window open on the IDE when you click a button it will tell you your device does not support that function.

As for instructions. This honestly should not be needed for this implementation more than install instructions. I think you may need more help with Smartthings operation. Could I advise that http://thingsthataresmart.wiki may be a good place to start

Might not be in the spirit of ST usability, but the Tado App itself offers Window-open detection. With the option to turn off the TRV for a set period of time after Window-open detected, returning to Auto after the time has elapsed.

Obviously, if itā€™s further ST integration based on Windows opening, Tado switching etc, this is useless and you can ignore it :slight_smile: