[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

ok here it is my router client list ,controller is at the bottom ,the IP seems fine to me

ok yes i did the set color at the bottom i was not doing that before and it does do… something , it will change the strip from the browser
but it is not working right at all
the red turns it green and green makes it shift and flash through different colors
the white will not go off no matter what , the RGB will not go off separately either
the white and RGB are always on together , i can not get it to turn off one or the other so that it is only the w1 channel on or only the RGB channel on . is it supposed to do that or not? i can’t get just white ( w1 channel) or just rgb on , the white and rgb are always both on at the same time
it does not work from the device handler in the ST app or from the browser same F’d up behavior with both , the w1 channel and rgb channel can not be switched on or off independently

so can you please go into your smartlife connect smart app and click on your controller and confirm for me if i should be seeing this or not?

is that supposed to be there or not?
it does not detect it and i can only add it manually but i keep on seeing this

and this , what about this in the device handler can someone with this working please confirm for me if they see this or saw this when they added the controller , is this normal?

Just checked mine I also have the red dot didn’t even realise before, that normally comes on when you make changes in the config and pressing that should save them.
Take a screen shot of your ide so I can see what Smartapps and device handlers you have installed.
Again can you start to post the images within your reply instead as it’s easier to view.
These are my screenshots
Screenshot_20170915-222512

1 Like

ok thanks for that, i can see now there is definitly a problem i have dashes where yours is showing an IP address and the FW version
and i can not configure anything in the smartlife connect smartapp

here are my device handlers and smartapps , i added the 3 extra ones just is case i ever get it to work
Capture

i notice your IDE is a little different than mine, in device handlers the status and capabilities columns are reversed
and yours says ercom123/smartthings (master)
where mine says Acutator,Color Control,Configuration,Health check,Refresh , Sensor,Switch Level
probably because you are un EU and i am using IDE site for North America?
or maybe because it is not configured?

i set the controller IP to static and still nothing

so is there any other way i can get this to work other than using the smartlife RGBW lite connect app through the ST android app?

like can i run the smart app from my PC through my browser instead?
or is there a way to activate the discovery or manually add it from my PC or browser or from the the IDE site or some other way?

also stupid question but how does proximity matter? i though i read something about devices needing to be close to the hub for discovery but i assume that is only for zigbee and zwave devices , this is wifi but not sure it needs to be like literally right next to the router or hub to get discovered?

the funny thing is that i see it pop on and off my client list in the router
but the up time counter does not reset ,it’s like it dropped because it is no longer in the client list but then it is like it nevr dropped because it will just reappear minutes later but the up time counter is not reset to zero , if i unplug it and plug it back in though the up time counter will reset to zero
it is an asus router and i only had it about a month now , seems good so far but does act a little weird at times

Try to swap RX and TX.
I was pulling my hair for a good 15 minutes with different baudrates setting from the downloader/Com port. After swap the pin around, it flash fine.

Running out of ideas pal everything seems to be set up as it should be. :frowning:
Yeah I’m on the EU IDE and I do have the capabilities they’re are just of the screenshot.
I was about 10’ away from my hub when setting it up,
One last thing to try…
Delete the device from your “things” and from the smartapp if it’s there then reset the WiFi on the device again and unplug the power and delete the static IP reservation from your router.
Once you’ve done all that open your smartapp and start the discovery and then power on the device and leave it searching don’t be tempted to add it manually even if you leave it searching for hours I’m due at some point it will pop up.

So. No luck.

If I power it via the FTDI it disconnects my com port. whats causing this.
the TX/RX lights go crazy on my FTDI Board.

ok i will try it but what about this java error that keeps on popping up in the log during discovery
it must mean something is wrong ,my feeling is that it is something wrong with the execution of the smartlife RGBW lite connect smart app itself , in one of dalecs posts he says something about having trouble with the smart apps in android but that they worked right away in IOS
but he never elaborated on what he meany by that m,he never said specifically if he had discovery issues running tin on android
but i see you are also using android though , which device are you using and which android version?
like i said i tried in my nexus 6p on Nougat and my LG G pad v410 tablet running Lolipop
the other thing is that is sucks running this on android or any smart device because
the screen turns off now i am not sure if that would make a difference or not
and i am not even sure how this all works like where the discovery is runnning
on the phone , on the cloud on the hub ,somewhere else?
i assume the java code is running on the phone
and the error is to do with the smart app running on the phone

also i am using a gen 1 ST hub not sure that makes any difference think i have seem other using a gen 1 hub for this too

EDIT: ok i tried it with the android app and it still does not work

Then Im afraid you might need to do some probing to ensure that you connect to the right pins, somehow it seems that the pins I listed are causing a shortcircuit (that is normally what would give the effect of the FTDI disconnecting from the PC). A few more questions:

1. I assume this is with the four connections direct to the ESP12E module?
  2. Are you saying the FTDI LEDs go crazy when connecting (without trying to flash)? This might be normal if the firmware is trying to communicate on serial, and is just not in the right mode.

If the above answers are yes then perhaps the FTDI disconnection is something else and we can try and ignore it for the next step. The next thing is likely to be that you need to hold down a flash pin which causes the Arilux to boot into flash mode, that means you need to keep pin 18 (on the image above) at ground (that would be my guess about which pin they have used, but I have no way of knowing without probing).

oh yeah one more thing, i just looked in my router log and i keep seeing this
ep 16 22:34:57 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 22:34:58 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 22:44:56 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 22:44:57 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 22:54:55 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 22:54:56 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:04:54 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:04:55 miniupnpd[7838]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:10:20 rc_service: httpd 7682:notify_rc restart_firewall
Sep 16 23:10:21 miniupnpd[7838]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Sep 16 23:10:21 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Sep 16 23:10:22 miniupnpd[14350]: version 1.9 started
Sep 16 23:10:22 miniupnpd[14350]: HTTP listening on port 36420
Sep 16 23:10:22 miniupnpd[14350]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Sep 16 23:14:53 miniupnpd[14350]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:14:54 miniupnpd[14350]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:24:52 miniupnpd[14350]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900
Sep 16 23:24:53 miniupnpd[14350]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.50.254:1900

i am pretty networking illiterate and this is a new asus router i am not familiar with at all
are there any setting in the router that could be preventing it from connecting?
i just tried to turn off the firewall but still no luck so far

Ah it’s not forwarding your ssdp packets, that explains why nothing is working. Or perhaps it’s just logging them and forwarding fine…

I have an Asus router and no problems, suggest having a look at upnp settings and turning it on for a bit (don’t turn off the firewall)

Yeah I agree seems like your routers blocking things.
Like mentioned you should have a setting for UDP enable that for testing but first delete your device and reset the WiFi on it and try to discover it again.
I don’t think ideally you want UDP open all the time though (I’m no expert ) as it leaves your network open.
Maybe find what ports the H801 uses
It lists 36420 & 5351 so possibly them ones.

Wait right there. Don’t open any ports. The h801 communicates entirely on lan, opening ports allows internet communications. The thing you need to find is any kind of isolation being applied to the WiFi network that the H801 is connected to. E.g. Wireless isolation, guest network, multiple routers/subnets, that sort of thing.

Ah right so are these are all local ?
Why they trying to access ports then.
Like I said I’m no expert :frowning:

They are local in that they communicate with ST locally and then ST hosts the management side (mainly the device handler) in the cloud. Hence they aren’t pure local devices.

They don’t try to access the internet, they broadcast a packet of data using an SSDP process that is what the connect app uses to discover the devices. Without checking, I expect that is what your router is showing (and possibly… blocking)

If the discovery process isn’t working then there is a chance that normal control packets (on or off, dim, colour etc) won’t work (hence why even adding it manually didn’t seem to work). That said if your network really is a single router which does modem, router and switch to the ST hub, all on one box, then I expect manually adding them should work fine.

you guys are speaking greek to me i know nothing about networking at all
all i know is that it is not working and that i just checked under WAN settings and that the box that says enable Upnp is set to yes and has been the whole time
i have one router the asus RT-AC66U_B1 and it is set to “wireless router mode (default) bridge”

it is connected to my my ISP’s “gateway” which is a modem and wifi router in one deal from the cable company but i had them switch off the wifi and put it in bridge mode and i just use that as a modem and i use the asus for my router and wifi

like i said i do get some communication with the h801 through both the app and the web browser when i add it manually it just does not control it right and i can not ever configure it in the smart app it just says that it is " not fully configured check that the device is on and IP address is right and revisit this page " in the smartlife connect smartapp under the deivce

so since you have an asus router then can you walk me through what i need to do here? what settings to change or what ports to forward or whatever i have no clue what i am doing here

seems like these asus routers all have a pretty much identical interface dashboard or really similar

i got this thing a month ago and i have not changed any settings on it ,i just renamed my clients and that is about it, i turned on the SSDP snooping as you suggested and checked to see if Upnp was on and it was and i turned off firewall and that is it and i did nothing else but still nothing

every other device i have connects to this router no problems with the exception of this and one other thing
my Rpi3 ,i was trying to get it to connect to my wifi for like 2 weeks and finally gave up and tossed it back in the drawer , i could not get it connected running raspbian lite jessie or stretch no matter how i configured my wpa_supplicant file or configured it i am starting to thing i should just ditch this router before i have anymore problems with it , but i like the interface and all my other smart home stuff works well with it and does not drop anymore like it was with my old linksys e3000

“That said if your network really is a single router which does modem, router and switch to the ST hub, all on one box, then I expect manually adding them should work fine.”

i don’t know what you mean by this manually adding what? what is them and how do i do it?

Pin 18 is permanently to ground through the whole process?

Ill try that ASAP and let you know

@Behold81 You just need to hold it to ground when booting up and you should see that the RX/TX pins no longer flash crazily when you turn the device on… At least that is true if my guesses about pin headers is correct! You will also need to use the Arilux firmware (I assume you are), but there could be some further pinout changes, see how you get on with the default Arilux firmware.

@anthony_rossetti - I suggest you do some background reading into networks and networking, it looks like you probably dont have your router/modem set up correctly/

that is not going to help out , since i have no clue what “correctly” means for this device
i have 19 other clients all connected with no problems i just leave everything on default setttings
i can read about networking but i am not going to be able to understand it anyways ,i am not going for my CNE degree here i just want this damn thing to work
and even if i knew about networking i would not know what the specific requirements are to make this work are
i do not want to mess with my router settings when my other 19 clients are connected and working fine just to get this stupid POS to work
i know i will just mess something up and end up making problems for my other devices because i do not know what i am doing and sorry i do not have time to earn a 4 year CNE degree just to figure this out , i will toss it in the F’ing bin and sell this ST hub and find another solution before i do that, this has already gotten to be waaaaay too much of a headache already

can someone please explain what this is for ?

i mean there must be an “add manually” option in the smartlife RGBW lite connect smartapp for a reason

maybe i am supposed to manually change some of the settings in that advanced tab on the controller after i add it by the IP manually in the smartapp ?