Notify me if washer "walks"?

(Mark) #1

My front-loader washing machine is on a raised platform. Every now and then it will get off balance and “walk.” Yesterday it came close to walking off the platform which would have likely ripped the pipes from the wall and trashed the washer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a sensor that can detect that type of movement? I have a spare ST multi but don’t want notifications when the washer spins, only if it’s on the move.

I tried to cobble together a solution by attaching the magnet to the washer and then suspending the sensor above the magnet but the magnet is too strong and the sensor follows it when the washer moves. TIA.

TIA.

you could consider a pressure Mat approach, either something the washer walks off or onto. These come in many different shapes and sizes.

But I would think it would be cheaper, easier, and more reliable just to take the usual appliance repairperson approach and attach anti-Vibration footpads to the washer. This will stop the walking from happening in the first place. :sunglasses:

These should cost less than $25 at your local Home Depot or from Amazon.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #3

Surely you can secure the sensor (or the magnet) sufficiently to a fixed location using superglue or a screw?

An “open” indication from a magnetic contact sensor is positive indication that the washer has … walked away from the set location.

(Mark) #4

Thanks for the suggestion, Terry. I tried that. Unfortunately, the washer occasionally moves towards the sensor which means the contact remains in a closed state even if the washer has decided to take a stroll. It also beat the hell out of the sensor. I thought about using multiple sensors and an “If any sensor” statement in WebCoRE but I’d need to buy additional sensors, which I prefer not to do. I’m going to try the devices that @JDRoberts suggested.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #5

I guess I’m not picturing the reality of the installation.

Assuming the washer is an inch or so above the ground, placing the sensor under one edge directly over a low power magnet would not allow it to move “closer”, since any direction of movement would be “away” from contact.

This is easier said than installed, of course…

(Eddy) #6

I believe a contact sensor (like a door sensor) would work here.
Just put the sensor at a specific spot and glue the magnet somewhere on the washer.
If the washer moves , there will be no contact hence triggering an alert

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

That’s what I said :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Doug) #8

or load it right, and set it right, not everything needs automation, something that shouldn’t move but does has an underlying issue.

Ok,stupid question. Why not just bolt it down to the platform? Or create a rail,lip ariund it so it doesn’t move? Just high enough to keep it from wandering

(Patrick Shoemaker) #10

Agree, this is not a home automation problem, it’s a washer installation problem. Sounds like the platform needs a lip.