Newbie with few questions (IR control and misc topics)

Hi there everyone… i’m new here and would like some suggestions and help from the seniors here. Currently i’m using the broadlink rm-pro and just happened to learn about smartthings hub and automation. So there is a few questions i would like to ask :

Can i use Smartthings together with broadlink? because i have many ir and rf devices i want to control such as my fan, audio system, aircon, tv, computer etc… Or is there a better option or device to help me with this?

And next question is… i found a few sites selling z-wave and zigbee products like switches, plugs etc but are china brands… will it be compatible with smartthings hub? Will they work with smartthings or i could only purchase smartthings approved items?

And lastly, is there any device or option whereby i can control and monitor my house gas leaking ? because my dad keeps forgetting to turn of the gas after cooking and this is getting me worried… and a better option would be if i could turn the gas off remotely using the phone app…

Hope to hear some feedbacks or advises from you guys… Will appreciate any help or advice :wink:

Have a read of this, should point you in the right direction:

Hi, thank you for sending me the link… now i have a better understanding. So please correct me if i’m wrong but if i were to use the broadlink with ST, it won’t be able to show me the status of the device ? example i won’t know if my tv or fan is switched on or off … Correct?

So in that case… is there any other device or hub that i could use instead of broadlink?

Thanks

Post your question in the thread above. I don’t have one I just pointed you at the people who do :slight_smile:

ok i have posted that question there too… also could you or someone else answer my other questions too? thanks

Missed those bits. Try this:

And next question is… i found a few sites selling z-wave and zigbee products like switches, plugs etc but are china brands… will it be compatible with smartthings hub? Will they work with smartthings or i could only purchase smartthings approved items?

There are plenty of non-approved products. Best place to look is here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ThingsThatAreSmart_Wiki

Remember. If it’s not officially supported then look at the Wiki above, if that fails then check the Community.

And lastly, is there any device or option whereby i can control and monitor my house gas leaking ? because my dad keeps forgetting to turn of the gas after cooking and this is getting me worried… and a better option would be if i could turn the gas off remotely using the phone app…

Not sure if this will work but the Fibaro Smoke Detector indicates that it would. Have a look here:

The literature at that locations states the following:

You cook, I ensure safety
Fibaro Smoke Sensor is the obligatory guest in your kitchen. Each time you prepare the favourite meals for your family, it makes sure you don’t forget to close the gas or take a roast out of the oven. Incoming threat of fire or … burned meat will be quickly discovered and reported for your convenience, safety, and enjoyable sunday lunch.

Another as detector option here:

If you can detect the gas (which you need to further research on), and your gas valve is a ball valve type then you could use something like the EcoNet valve (Z-Wave) which sits on top of existing pipework and can be used to open close an existing valve.

See this:

1 Like

hi thank you for all the help so far given… really appreciate it. So do i need to make sure whatever product i buy supports the same frequency? For example , if i bought a light switch… Does it need to have the same frequency of ST to work and if it does not work…must i play around with the codes to make them work?

So for this item as an example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Design-Smart-Home-868-42Mhz-Z-Wave-Single-Wall-Dimmer-TZ55S-for-LED-Indication-of/32342841332.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.57.QBjFof

It says 868.42Mhz Z Wave , so do i what is it that i must make sure or check before placing an order? the frequency?

Welcome! Personally, I wouldn’t buy anything from AliBaba. A lot of it is counterfeit, much of it is poorly engineered, and it can be a fire hazard. Also there’s a lot of translation error and just sincere misunderstanding. I’ve seen products described as Z wave which were actually Wi-Fi or Zigbee.

We have a deals section in this forum and there is a thread that lists reputable home automation products dealers, I’d check those out first. It includes retailers for both the US and the UK. (By the way, it would be helpful if you let us know where you are, as the available devices are different in different regions.)

The following article in the community-created wiki lists which protocols SmartThings supports. It will explain the frequency issue. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Network_Protocols

1 Like

HI thank you for the link and advice… i think you are right… china products are not safe or to be trusted. By the way , i’m from singapore… my main issue with using a ST would be connecting it with a IR device because i want to mainly control fans, tv, audio system etc…

Also to get the items for cheap price because the prices seem expensive and lastly a gas/electric detector … i will take a look at the dealers and also in the deals section… ; )

I believe some people have had luck using the Harmony Hub to control RF devices. Not sure if it’s available in Singapore, though.

Control your IR with the existing broadlink rm pro…and any cheap rf devices that use 433mhz or 315mhz (for example: https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS )…for the rest buy zigbee or zwave devices that work with smartthings…these have nothing to do with the broadlink…the zigbee and zwave devices/switches/monitors communicate with the smartthings hub.