Cheap Smart Things compatible Zigbee devices

Hello,
My connected devices that I currently have are compatible with Google Home but not with Smart Things and I would like to change that.
So I’m looking for Zigbee devices that are compatible with Smart Things.
strong text

1) To use Smart Things and control my Zigbee devices, do I have to buy the Smart Things HUB from Aeotec at ~$100? Link to Smart Things HUB on Amazon

2) When I search for compatible devices on Aliexpress, I more often find Apple Homekit compatible devices than Smart Things, while Smart Things is known to have greater device compatibility. How is this possible?

3) Can any Zigbee 3.0 device be connected with the Smart Things HUB? Because sometimes the sellers told me no, and sometimes they didn’t mark anything but the devices still work with Smart Things.

4) How come one of my LED ribbon connected to a Smart Life HUB is compatible with Smart Things? While the HUB is not? And my smart plugs also connected to the same Smart Life HUB are not compatible with Smart Things. How it is possible ? Everything is so random that I don’t understand anything anymore.

5) Do any of you know of devices (CO2 air + temperature sensor, window and door sensor, camera, curtain motors, …) compatible with Smart Things that are cheap on Aliexpress or Amazon?
Would you have by chance also devices to advise me?

I would be so grateful if some could answer me. Because I have contacted the Smart Things support several times without success. They never answered me. And I am quite lost. And the connected devices I find on Aliexpress or Amazon almost never indicate to be compatible with Smart Things, and those that are are either poorly rated or at least 2 or 3 times more expensive. While for Homekit, there are plenty of devices from Xiaomi, Aquara, for example that are cheap, well rated, and compatible. But for Smart Things I find almost nothing.

I really hope that some people will be able to answer some questions, it would really help me.

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Zigbee 3.0 is popular for SmartThings setups, so you should be able to find quite a few device choices. It would help to know what country you are in, as the device selection does vary.

1. Also, Zigbee always requires a hub. If you want to use Zigbee devices with SmartThings, you need a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, unless the devices have their own hub which has its own bridge integration to SmartThings. Philips Hue bulbs connected to a Philips Hue bridge is an example of this kind of integration that works well. But many other companies, like IKEA, don’t have a bridging integration to ST, so then you just get the end devices and connect them to a SmartThings hub instead.

2. it’s hard to say, but it’s probably because HomeKit requires a very specific integration and SmartThings sometimes, but not always, can use a more generic integration. So HomeKit-compatible devices will always say they can work with HomeKit.

3. not all. That’s why we have the first rule of home automation: “the model number matters.” For example, SmartThings does not support the “green energy” commands that Friends of Hue battery free switches use, so those devices work with some other Zigbee hubs, but not SmartThings. And aqara has put a unique code check in its newest sensors so they will only work with their own hub.

The Zigbee specification allows for “manufacturer-proprietary” message formats, so it does happen.

Tuya is another company that uses a lot of unique code, so there are quite a few Tuya-made Zigbee devices that work best with a Tuya-made hub.

1. SmartLife is a Tuya-made platform that is licensed to many different companies. Those hubs never show up in SmartThings. The integration is at the account level and then some, but definitely not all, of the devices on the Smart Life account will show up in the SmartThings account. Usually because of those manufacturer-proprietary” issues.

I really hope that some people will be able to answer some questions, it would really help me.

Since it sounds like you already have a Smart Life hub, can I ask why you don’t just stick with that instead of trying to bring SmartThings into the mix? Tuya makes a huge variety of inexpensive home automation devices, and they work well together in the Smart Life app.

SmartThings will give you integration with Samsung smart appliances and televisions, and adds zwave to the mix, but if you’re only intending to use Zigbee, Tuya/Smart Life might be all you need and it would certainly make your life easier if you don’t have to deal with integration issues. :thinking:

3 Likes

J_W, I have an YouTube Channel with a focus on SmartThings compatible products and I feature both ZigBee and Z-Wave compatible SmartThings products on my Amazon Store. If you go to my store and click on the “Idea List” tab you will see products listed by categories such as Motion Sensors, Door Contact Sensors, Leak Sensor, etc.

I have made videos on many of these devices, showing how to install them and also how to install DTH (device type handlers) for certain devices. If you review the caption that I placed on many of the devices listed in my store, you will find an explanation of which devices are natively compatible with SmartThings and which devices need to have an custom DTH installed for improved function. Each of the listed categories contain both Z-Wave and ZigBee devices, however you can easily distinguish the two protocols by viewing the product description. I trust you find this helpful.

3 Likes

Just be aware that a DTH written in groovy Will stop working once smartthings ends support for the free groovy cloud, which was initially scheduled for December 2021 and now is expected before the end of this year although they haven’t given an exact date.

After that, you would have to use an Edge Driver instead of a DTH.

SmartThings has said they are going to try to automatically shift people from a DTH to an edge driver. But if you currently use a “custom” DTH, that shift might not be possible, or it might be possible but you could lose some functionality.

you can read more about edge in the following community FAQ:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

3 Likes

Avoid SmartLife. Search on this forum and you’ll find tons of problems with them. The integration is terrible. If you don’t mind using wifi with integrations, I have had good (not p[erfect) results with Meross. They are inexpensive and 99% reliable.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your complete answer! I would like to switch to Smart Thing, so I can link different routines to my connected devices. For example, when I receive a call, the lights turn on and the fan turns off. Or for example, in the Samsung Clock application, I can directly link my devices so that they turn on when I wake up. I also find the interface of Smart Things much more pleasant than that of Smart Life. And the “Home Monitor” function, I find it better designed in Smart Things. And I am finally more free with Smart Things to add branded appliances (for example a vacuum cleaner, a fridge, …)
So I wish I had everything in one app, same platform, one that allows me a greater variety of items and brand than Smart Life.
And since I’m already a little bit in the Samsung ecosystem (Watch 3, buds pro, Tab S7+, S21 Ultra, Smart Tag, soon Smart Monitor M5) it will be easier for me to be able to control them all with my connected devices in the same app.

Anyway, thank you for your answer.
Have a nice day and best regards,
Jules

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much for your answer and the links. I will be happy to watch your videos.
Good day and best regards!

Okay thanks, so I’ll look more specifically on the Smart Things forum.

Have a nice day !