Newbie question: "no devices found" ever - can only manually add, but new device handler not listed

Hi,

New to Smartthings, have Hubv3. I have a couple of z-wave switches connected, but i had to do it manually by picking the device types from the bottom of the screen in the app (the device discovery always turned up “no devices found”). I was okay with that since at least it worked.

Now i am trying to add a zigbee device from Third Reality, and it requires a custom device handler. I have that set up and published under my samsung account (where I can see my hub and other devices), but I cannot add the new device. When I try to pair, of course it doesn’t show up in the discovery area (nothing ever has for me). And when i try to pair manually, my new device handler can’t be found in the search in the app.

After working on this for a couple of hours and searching for help online, I just need to know where to go next.

1. When I add a custom device handler, should i be able to find that in the “add device” area of my smartthings app on my phone? (i.e. is this a problem with the way I am adding & publishing the device handler?)
  2. Or should I troubleshoot why i can’t ever seem to auto-discover new devices? Maybe reach out to Samsung support?
  3. Or should I pursue this with Third Reality?

Any guidance?

Thanks.

Choose a zigbee bulb from the list. Choosing a non-SmartThings device puts the hub in general inclusion mode and searches for any zwave or zigbee device.

1 Like

Strange. I did have to pick a random zigbee thing from the list and then it suddenly recognized my device. Thanks for the help!

Apparently since the v3 hub works with QR code scanning the new SmartThings devices, they decided for it to not turn on general inclusion unless you pick a non-SmartThings device. That way it forces you to qr scan the new devices for more secure pairing.

There is also now a “Generic Z-Wave Device” under + > Device > Devices and Sensors that appears to work for the classic inclusion mode.