Newbee Question: restricting motion sensor alerts to a specific time period?

(Jim) #1

I apologize for such a basic question, but can a motion detector be programmed to only provide an alert during certain hours, i.e. for instance 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM?

(David) #2

Hi Jim,

The motion detector itself is just a device, but what I think you want to do is have something happen between certain hours?

If that is the case, you can use a SmartApp called “Rule Machine” (commonly referred to as “RM”) to easily have something happen (like turn on lights) if a particular trigger (like motion detected) during certain hours of the day.

Here are a few links to get you started:

Yes, but if you’re doing it with smart home monitor, you have to do it with a “custom rule” not under “security.”

I don’t know if that means it will work with scout alarm or not.

Note: as @Belgarion mentioned, you’re not actually programming the motion sensor itself, you’re setting up a rule which tells SmartThings what to do when the motion sensor triggers. In this case, you would be telling it to ignore the motion sensor for the purposes of the security notification except during a specific time period.

(Võ Thanh Minh) #4

I have semilar problem.

(Mike King) #5

I’m just checking in. @JDRoberts, does SmartHome Monitor have to be “armed” for the custom rule to fire?

I’m looking to set a motion sensor to send a notification when my daughter gets out of bed, but I’m not looking for the siren to go off… :slight_smile:

No, custom Alerts can be set to go off regardless of armed state. So you’re ok there. :sunglasses:

(Scott C. Lemon) #7

I’m confused about where you found that screen shot that you posted? I"m also trying to do the same thing.

I have some outdoor floodlights, and they are working fine on a timer right now. I’m about to add a motion sensor, and I only want the motion sensor to turn the floodlights on between 10pm and 6am (middle of the night) … but have not been able to locate where I can add this time constraint to the motion sensor …

The screen you posted seems to provide this … but I can’t find where that is?

Thanks in advance!

I can no longer use the SmartThings mobile app because they broke VoiceOver functionality about six months ago, but at the time that I posted the screenshot it was as described. Choose smart home monitor, edit the rules ( usually by tapping a small gear icon somewhere on the screen), then create a custom rule and the time restrictions will be under “more options” or something like that.

I have no idea what it looks like now, hopefully someone else can help.

If you are doing this within SHM, then you need to configure a new Custom / Monitoring rule under SHM:

Then press + More options (this is your time constraints)

(Scott C. Lemon) #10

Well … I ended up going about it a slightly different way. :slight_smile:

I wanted to learn about writing a SmartApp … and so I did. You can check it out here …

If you install and test it … let me know if you find any problems!