New Philips HUE devices

They’re certainly zigbee. Zigbee Light Link. (ZLL)

Are you asking if the new Phillips bulbs will work with the SmartThings V2 hub without a hue bridge? Because that’s still not recommended.

If you’re asking if the new Phillips bulbs will work with the old Phillips bridge, yes they should. And the old Phillips bulbs should work with the new Phillips bridge.

If you’re asking if the new Phillips bridge will work with the SmartThings hub (v1 or v2) , honestly I don’t know if anybody knows for sure yet. But I guess we’ll find out soon. :sunglasses:

i hope you are right, weird that there is no mention of zigbee in the new packaging…not even on the hub itself… according to the pictures on the link posted by jhoff80

It’s officially releasing on Tuesday, I doubt the packaging will change much. Even if they’re downplaying the Zigbee thing, it would HAVE to be based on that for old bulbs to be compatible with the new hub and new bulbs to be compatible with the old hub, which yes, they all are (based on the Reddit thread I linked).

I doubt they’re “downplaying” it any more for the new stuff, it’s never been prominent on the box. It’s been on the edge, which I don’t think we see in the pictures of the new model.

Here’s one of the older ones in an unboxing video, the zigbee logo is small on the bottom of the right side.

The hub has the FCC number, and that application included a Zigbee test.

They pushed the new app as well:

1 Like

thanks Jd :grinning:

The recently released Dimmer uses ZigBee Light Link. Is that any different from ZigBee HA?

It’s a slightly different profile of Zigbee. The commissioning onto the network is different, it only uses a subset of the Zigbee frequency channels, and ZLL devices won’t always be able to repeat messages to ZHA devices. All of the Hue devices released so far use ZLL, as do many of the zigbee lights (like Osram). Some ZLL devices can still connect to a ZHA network and all of the clusters/commands are the same; which is why ST can directly control Hue bulbs and other ZLL devices.

The dimmer looks to be the same device as the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote, which does work with ST as a secondary controller to directly control zigbee bulbs. As of right now, it will not be able to be used by ST as a 4 button remote to control other devices. The hub won’t see or receive commands from the dimmer remote. Check out the Lutron thread for more info.

I have one of these on order (delivered tomorrow), so I’ll test it out.

1 Like

Just picked up a couple dimmers at the local BB. Gonna hook them up tonight, although I imagine if I want ST to recognize them I will have to uninstall the HUE hub and install it again. Doesn’t sound like there’s any real benefit for ST integration at this point, so I may hold off on that.

What dimmers are you referring to? Lutron or the Hue dimmers?

It will be a while before we know more, but I think these are in fact two different devices, just serving a similar purpose and having a similar form factor. It’s not going to make a big difference either way, except that I don’t believe the Lutron connected bulb remote will be able to be paired to a Philips Hue Bridge, even though it can be paired to a Phillips hue bulb. We’ll see.

Mine are paired to the hue bridge. Hue doesn’t recognize it, but the remote flashes that it has been paired. That allows me to control the hue bulbs by remote or app.

Or did you mean something else?

Sorry - HUE dimmers. They also had several of the new color bulbs, but none of the white (lux).

Did you check to see if there has been a firmware update for the hub and the updated app for Hue? They may have just pushed the functionality out in anticipation of the Hue version being released. I know there was an iOS app update available recently.

1 Like

Yeap! Just looked at the lightstrip plus and that thing is 1600 lumens now.

And not just the app update from this morning… But…: open your hue native app and …

Post update: things appear to be working in ST land. Turn on all your hues and family products before updating…

Anybody knows if the limit is still 50 (or technically 63) devices?

Quick and easy setup with HUE app. As expected ST doesn’t see switch. I haven’t tried reinstalling the HUE hub in ST yet…

Say what?

Here are a few characters for kicks.