NEW Hub Replace Feature for SmartThings Hubs!

This answer from ST doesn’t seem to me to be the whole story.
Just following other threads we see community members talking of much higher limits on a single hub. The location limit for iOS it said is now 300 devices.
In my case, albeit I have only +/- 50 hardware devices, I have another 15 Matter devices, 107 virtual devices with 23 drivers, 64 rules and 94 routines, plus linked Smartlife and eWelink services on a V3 Aeotec hub without problem, so I haven’t reached it’s memory limit yet. Maybe the problem will come with the hub replace when I come to that, but in that case we would be talking about a different limitation.

1 Like

I agree that there must be more to the story. There must be something particular about my settings that is creating some sort of glitch. We have one confirmed case of 70 devices transferred. If someone has success with the transfer of 100+ devices, including a virtual device driver and a vast number of virtual devices, then we will certainly have evidence that my issue is something other then exceedance of the device and driver memory limits.

3 Likes

This comment in the support reply seems to me to imply that the migration process consumes memory in excess of what’s used during normal operation. Also note that the reply calls out the source hub as the issue.

And, of course, this casts some serious doubt on the reliability of using the backup to move to a new hub when the old hub is failed/offline.

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I read that as the problem being that the source hub has more stuff than will fit on the target hub.

The reason I’m saying that is because the transfer method is supposed to work even if the original hub is not available, as long as the original hub Has a back up available in the cloud.

I suppose it might mean that the original hub has so much stuff that it can’t be backed up, but then I would expect a different message, because it’s not a hub that’s out of memory.

But I’m just speculating. :thinking:

4 Likes

i currently have 300+ (207 is local, rest is linked via cloud) devices on my V3 hub, 10 drivers and 21 virtual switches, so if my hub can hold these devices, i think it should not be the issue for the hub replace. i believe there are other issues?

3 Likes

We need some brave soul to make an attempt to restore into a new hub from backup (i.e. take their working hub offline and start the migration process).

6 Likes

I was the brave soul

**This entire process took less than 20 minutes and worked flawlessly!**

I purchased two new Stations during the November Black Friday sale for $39.99, a great deal.

Adding the first Station was very easy and finished quickly! The whole process took less than five minutes.

I opened the SmartThings app, hit the plus sign, added a device, scanned the QR code, plugged in the Station, and it went through the startup. It started flashing, and SmartThings found it immediately. I changed the name to ‘Zigbee SmartThings Station’ and stepped through all the options and settings. I changed Zigbee secure to unsecure, picked ‘allow firmware updates,’ and also selected ‘update firmware’ on the information page. Now the device was ready to go. Moving on to hub replace, even though I was a little apprehensive about this blowing up my whole setup."

Hub replace. I remembered that my Zigbee V3 hub was hardcoded to channel 25, so I went onto the SmartThings advanced API and changed the Station channel to 25. This step was out of caution and may not have been necessary. Then I opened the SmartThings app, selected my Zigbee hub, clicked on the three dots, and chose ‘Replace hub.’ Then clicked 'Replace hub.

Next, you will see the next page and a warning message.

Hit OK and then Next.

Next, you will see the screen below listing all of the devices that will be transferred. I stopped at this step and compared all the devices listed to the list of devices in the SmartThings API to make sure everything looked good.

Then scrolled to the bottom and hit Replace. My heart skipped a beat when I did this. LOL. I knew after I hit the button there was no going back!

Then I got the ‘Replacing Hub’ screen with the message that all devices may take 20 minutes to reconnect.

The transfer took less than a minute to finish. The screen below was displayed after finishing.

Checking my devices, I saw that some were offline, so I waited.

After about 10 minutes, everything looked good, and I noticed my original hub was removed, and the lights were flashing red and green, back in pairing mode.

I was very pleasantly surprised that this went so smoothly! Good job, SmartThings – way to go. I complain a lot, but when something works like this with no issues, I have to applaud it.

Thank you @nayelyz @Ivan_Luis_Falleau @AlejandroPadilla

24 Likes

That’s good to hear! Now we just need a new hub with z-wave to replace our aging V2’s!

9 Likes

Good news @mlchelp! How many devices do you have that were successfully migrated?

2 Likes

@mlchelp and routines, rooms, drivers etc. ?

2 Likes

Jimmy, good thing I made spreadsheets during the whole process. Total 115 Devices.

1 Jasco 4586 Switch Zigbee
1 GE ZigBee In-Wall Switch Zigbee
1 ThirdReality Switch Zigbee
2 Matter Devices Matter
2 ST Multipurpose Sensors Zigbee
2 Sengled Element Classic Bulbs Zigbee
3 Xfinity contact Sensors Zigbee
4 Kwikset Locks Zigbee
5 Aeotec MS6’s Zigbee
10 Taustin vedgecontact.v2 Lan
13 Iris Multipurpose Sensors Zigbee
13 Stelpro Ki Thermostats Zigbee
16 Iris Smart Plugs Zigbee
20 Taustin alexacontact.v02 Lan
22 Iris Water Leak Sensors Zigbee
83 Total Zigbee devices
30 Total Tustin Virtual Devices
2 Total Matter Devices
115 Total

As you can see most of my Smart home was built on Lowes misfortune on
the very cheap from Ebay Lol

@TAustin I know there was a mention about your virtual drivers causing a memory issue preventing the migration. I migrated with 30 of your virtual devices without an issue!!

Next on to test Hub Replace on my Zwave Hub Im going to use HalD 's request to do it with the original hub offline.

My plan is to unplug my Zwave Hub before I go to sleep and then try to use hub replace to transfer it to the spare V3 I have now from the first transfer in the morning when I wake up.

I will report back on how it goes.

2 Likes

11 real drivers and the 7 ST Wemo etc drivers.
22 Rooms
101 Routines

3 Likes

Wow! That might be a record for number of devices successfully migrated. I think @Buds_Smart_Home had trouble around 90 devices. The failed migrations seem to be memory related which can be impacted by drivers, routines, etc., but you would think those would also increase with the umber of devices.

4 Likes

He was trying to go from V2 to V3, V2 has more memory than the V3! I migrated from V3 to Station which has more memory than the V3 and it was reported as equal to the V2, but no way to confirm because Samsung is keeping the specs under lock and key!

3 Likes

I did take one of the new Station’s I got all apart trying to see what makes it tick but none of the chips had any identifiable info on them. Oh well 39.99 and chucked it in the garbage LOL

1 Like

I would be shocked if the station had more memory than the V3 given its price point.

2 Likes

According to a few different sources it has a 1.7GHZ Quad core 512MB of Ram and 4GB eMMC flash but Samsung refuses to verify this.

I asked Ivan

7 Likes

@nayelyz @JDRoberts @csstup

Just for clarification and my understanding. In a setup like mine with multiple hubs, where are the routines kept? If their running locally, they can’t be in the cloud correct? So, if hub 1 dies and at the same time my internet is down then the routines only involving the devices on hub 2 still function locally? So, is there a copy of the routines stored locally on both hubs? Or are the routines that involve devices in all hubs stored in the cloud and the routines that involve just one hub stored locally on that hub?

1 Like

From previous comments in this thread I believe hubs backup to the cloud regularly (every 24hr?) and it is this backup that a hub uses to rebuild. So if a routine/device has been added and the hub dies before a new backup has been taken then that routine/device will be lost to the new hub.

2 Likes

That backup would be used if the hub being replaced is offline.

My recollection of the process description is that a fresh backup will be taken if the hub being replaced is still functional.

4 Likes