New Hampton Bay ceiling fan receiver not responding to app

I converted a new ceiling fan to a smart fan using the Hampton Bay receiver with the KOF DTH

Everything worked fine for a day or so, but now i can’t turn the fan or light on or off using the app. The Hampton Bay remote works fine. I have an identical fan in another room that works fine so the medallion is not blocking the signal

I have cycled power to the receiver with no difference.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it with no difference.

I would try swapping out the receiver but in order to cover the antenna wires I glued a ceiling medallion over them. The medallion is made of thermoformed PVC about 3/8” thick. I used the same medallion in another room and can control that fan fine with the SmartThings app.

If I have to replace the receiver, the medallion will have to be broken into pieces and that will destroy the ceiling so I am trying to avoid doing that.

Edit. I made insecure rejoin was enabled. I also powered the hub down for 10 minutes. Still no command from the app. Ugh.

This is with both the Classic app and the new app. If I look at the fan light in the new app it says “Can’t connect to device. Check device and try again”. This is only for the light not the fan.

Any ideas on how to get it working again? My last resort before demolition is to remove it and try reinstalling it.

Thanks

I experienced the same thing when I installed this item about a year ago. As I had read elsewhere in this forum, this unit has a very weak Zigbee range and that a repeater was often needed. I ended up getting the highly recommended Zigbee repeater below which is rock solid and also includes other functions (light, luminescence, temp, humidy) and have never had that problem again.
Another Zigbee Repeater Solution (With Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensors)

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. After checking the IDE, I see two leak sensors are offline. They are zigbee and they are in the room next to the room with the fan issue. I will get the repeater and let you know.

Again, thank you. You can tell I am frustrated.

I am doing a zigbee heal right now. Only time will tell if it works. I didn’t know zigbee needs to know who its neighbors are.

Pre-install, I powered up the Hampton Bay receiver in another room to pair it then mounted it in a different room. It worked for a day or two.

1 Like

The zigbee heal worked! Thanks!! No need for a repeater.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.