NEW Ecobee Thermostat released, but is it worth the price tag?

New Ecobee with glass and improved wi-fi.

Pioneered to Perfection: Introducing The New ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control

The new Alexa features are nice. And the Spotify integration makes sense now that you can connect to a Bluetooth speaker.

1 Like

I cannot imagine that the speaker in this thing is something you’d like to listen Spotify on :slight_smile: But for the new Alexa features, that may work for announcements and intercom like exchanges.

no, definitely not. its good enough for Alexa’s voice , announcements, etc. but not for music. Granted, if you have a bluetooth speaker paired to it, then everything will play through the bluetooth speaker and nothing plays on the internal speaker.

1 Like

So Bluetooth radio and new face glass…only difference? :zzz:

And more Alexa features.

so… already having too many Echo devices, it does not sound like a worthwhile upgrade for my 2 ecobee3 thermostats… or am I missing a super feature? I relegated all non media crunching devices to 2.4GHz anyway so even 5GHz is not compellingly (at least now).

2 Likes

probably not at this point. Unless they plan on adding other new features to it. There’s rumors of a camera and contact sensor coming. For some reason if they require this model as a hub, that may lead some people to upgrade.

1 Like

Oh, hell yeah, I didn’t even think that prior version didn’t support 5GHZ. I turned my 2.4 off. I am glad I waited for it. C’mon Ecobee, make my day, so I can put my Nest on Ebay! :smile:

Here are the 1st reviews of the new Ecobee SmartThermostat

1 Like

Why didn’t they put a face clock on it??? My family is going to hate me for taking their clocks down when I remove the Nests LOL

buy this with the money from selling your Nests :slight_smile:
https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Echo-Wall-Clock---An-Echo-companion-to-see-timers-at-a-glance./dp/B07FQDMKFT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=alexa+clock&qid=1559573626&s=gateway&sr=8-3

1 Like

I didn’t update from the 3 because Alexa without intercom functionality (drop-in) was useless to me on a thermostat. If this one has it, and it seems like it does, I’d seriously consider upgrading.

1 Like

Here is a comparison between all ecobee thermostat including the SmartThermsotat.

https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028428931-What-are-the-differences-between-ecobee-SmartThermostat-with-voice-control-ecobee4-ecobee3-lite-and-ecobee3-

No thanks, I have one and really dislike it :smile:

1 Like

…but I have a switch nearby both thermostats, sooo… if my family complains too much about missing the clocks, then I guess I will have to buy 2 brilliant switches LOL … good reason, no?!?

I’m convinced!

1 Like

Got one… now have to try and sell the old ecobee 4 to get some $$ back.

1 Like

And still requires a common wire. The Nest’s use of battery is such an advantage for homes that don’t have the needed wiring. Can’t understand why Ecobee would limit themselves like that.

They include a wiring harness for systems without a common wire.