Ecobee SmartThermostat $208 deal at Amazon

This was $10 less on prime day, but it’s still a good deal and historically these have not gone on sale often.

This is the newest model, one generation newer than the ecobee 4.

Superficially, it’s very similar to the 4, but there are a few improvements.

This is the first model which can work with a WiFi 5.0 GHz band, not just 2.4 GHz (that’s what “dual band Wi-Fi“ means in the product description.)

It offers some of the Alexa features which were not included with the 4, including Alexa calling and Spotify.

It comes with the newer generation smart sensor.

Other than that, it’s basically the same as the 4.

Works out of the box with smartthings, HomeKit, and IFTTT.

I have heard rumors that with the new V3 app you can’t change thermostat modes through the official features anymore, but I don’t know if that’s true.

2 Likes

I have the Pro version of this thermostat only available through HVAC dealers. They charge an insanely high price, but you get a 5 year warranty then.
When tracing the device in my router, it reported as an ecobee 5, so it is definitely a tad different than the 4.
Biggest thing I’ve noticed is that when you tell Alexa to do something to this thermostat, it happens in less than a second! Crazy fast cloud to cloud processing on this.
Downside, SmartThings keeps screwing it up by having their duplicate devices issue, regardless if you disable it or not. Alexa still gets confused at times.
I’d definitely recommend this thermostat to anyone in the market. A friend that has a Nest was impressed with how much better mine was than his. Opinions vary of course, but he’s a diehard Google/Nest fan.